Is GPS mode failing due to overheating?
1122 3 2017-3-18
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

After two weeks of positively dismal weather, this Saturday proved to be an unbelievably nice day.  Wind was 5 to 8 mph, temperature was between 70 and 82 degrees (F).  (Sorry to show off to you guys digging out of the blizzard.)  I drained two batteries just flying around my neighborhood practicing calmer maneuvers.  On the third battery, I really wanted to open the Mavic up, so I switched to sport mode, climbed to 400 feet, and just took off!  I flew out about 7000 feet and then started making gradual turn then  looped around and brought it back.  I flew full throttle the entire way, and actually if didn’t have very much battery power by the time I got back.

Now for the weird part.  On the next battery, I could not lock in GPS mode at all.  Without ever taking off, it switched between ATTI and “Visual” mode.  (Is “Visual” mode new?  I never saw it before.) Anyway, after about 6 or 7 minutes of waiting for it to pick up more than three satellites, I gave up and shut it down.  I did notice that the underside of the Mavic was still a very very hot in the cooling fins.  It made me wonder if that was a problem.

About 40 minutes later, I switched the Mavic back on and presto, GPS mode lit up in a several seconds like normal.

So my question is, is it possible that GPS mode is somehow being up deactivated when the Mavic overheats?  It really might explain why people go from having 21 satellites to no satellites in an instant.  What does anyone think?

2017-3-18
Use props
daivatam
lvl.3
Flight distance : 473389 ft
Romania

I am also troubled by this from the beginning. Obviously dji designed a lot for cooling the electronics ....the fan the vents the cooler...but still inside small body are crumpled a ton of  of electronics with processing power plus hot esc's....even camera electronics are inside. I do not know the heating threshold that the electronics could take without errors ...or damage...but...if the fan malfunction or the ambient temperature coupled with direct sun rays is big....the possibility of electronic bad behavior is somewhat high ...I hope that dji tested at full extend the mavic design.
2017-3-18
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I was thinking of taking it apart and redoing the tim, thought about that. The breakdown videos look like they apply a lot of tim to the bottom plate. Should help with temperature a bit. Maybe shielding the wires to the rears too while at it. Put in a switch for atti mode. Maybe put a bigger ferrite ring on the gps.

The thing is she works fine xd So like trying to fix things that aren't broken. I did get her to tbe though finally, was very small tbe after a minute full throttle in sports mode. I switched out and saw her making weird small circles over the treetops like drunk. It never went into atti mode though. If it was heat related, makes more sense because she never dropped into atti. This was while stopped in a hover with gps after a minute in sport.

I guess could just not fly in sports balls out for long periods too. They do put a aweful lot of tim under that plate though. I'm not sure of the tim quality either, is it just silicon? I doubt could put on coolabs liquid pro, my go to tim, because it's conductive. But the noctua might work good.
2017-3-18
Use props
seeker_ktf_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 218474 ft
United States

Yeah, it's just a theory, and I don't really want to disassemble the thing just for fun.

Right after I made the first post I was on YouTube and I started realizing how many reviews there are talking about how well the Mavic runs in cold weather.  I was suddenly like, well yeah, it makes a lot of heat.  Us folks in the South are going to be the test subjects for any serious overheating problems.  Still, I've got to believe that DJI has tested for that kind of thing.  They put cooling fins and fans in it, so surely they have the operating temperatures correctly calculated.
2017-3-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules