Proper Compass Calibration Method
3041 22 2015-2-25
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

What is the best method for calibration? The method where you twist the unit with your hands or the one where you hold it and twist your whole body? Also, if you do the full body method do you hold it closer to your body or with arm outstretched?The way I've been doing it so far is rotate it horizontally then flip it vertically and rotate with the battery facing up. I haven't had any problems but rotating my body seems like it might be easier.
2015-2-25
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

rotating your body versus the craft has no material difference.  a pivot point of less than a foot or two difference is too small to impact calibration with how big the earth EMF is compared to the delta between those two pivot points.  now if your arms were 400ft long, maybe a diff answer.  as for battery up or down, i do think that might matter but i cant find the thread that covered it.
2015-2-25
Use props
JATO
lvl.4

United States

I use the rotate my whole body method. I also hold it arms length for me so nothing I might have on me affects the compass. It works for me as long as I don't spin to fast and pass out.
2015-2-25
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-26 06:12
rotating your body versus the craft has no material difference.  a pivot point of less than a foot o ...

Good analogy Plastic Man.  P2V+ manual says camera facing down, which would be battery up.
2015-2-25
Use props
johnkilcline.gm
lvl.3

Portugal

what about the "anti-clockwise or clockwise" depending if you are in the northern or southern hemisphere argument?
2015-2-25
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

I'll try doing the body rotate, seems that might be a little easier on the gimbal and I don't have to worry about my hand slipping.
2015-2-25
Use props
Jamie
lvl.4

United States

cayers13@gmail. Posted at 2015-2-26 06:39
I'll try doing the body rotate, seems that might be a little easier on the gimbal and I don't have t ...

Exactly, and much less chance of fumbling around and dropping it.  Damage caused by handling, storing, or transport in the RC Airplane world is know as "Hangar Damage".

Holding the bird over your head and spinning your body emulates spinning it on it's axis if that is an area of concern.
2015-2-25
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

This question keep being asked, and my answer is always the same.
Done it once in July, did it the DJI way by turning on its own axis, never needed to do it again.
2015-2-25
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

i too have actually only calibrated mine the first time.  then again, all my 20-25 flights have been within 5miles of that location.  
2015-2-25
Use props
cayers13
lvl.3

United States

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-26 08:58
i too have actually only calibrated mine the first time.  then again, all my 20-25 flights have been ...

I assumed it needed to be calibrated every flight even if the new location is just a couple miles away
2015-2-26
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

cayers13@gmail. Posted at 2015-2-27 02:21
I assumed it needed to be calibrated every flight even if the new location is just a couple miles  ...

nah even location changes don't really require a recalibration unless  location specific Earth Magnetic Filed inclination  ( not declination) and/or field strength changed significantly from your last calibration location.
Main reason for the calibration is to compensate for magnetic and ferromagnetic interference that are at  fixed locations on your Phantom ( e.g. Motors, servos,.... ) so calibration is certainly recommended if you removed or added items on your Bird.
2015-2-26
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

no cayers not necessary.  as creel said, the map below shows emf lines.  the space between the lines, direction of the lines, and other things create differences.  if you went from florida to kenya for example, a calibration would certainly be in order.  but going from northern england to southern england is probably not significantly different enough to warrant recalibrating.  you still might but for 'just a few miles' it is defn not necessary.

2015-2-26
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

im not the best expert here, only some elec engineering training, but australia has a pretty darn consistent inclination curve across just about the whole continent.  id feel pretty safe if all other variables were good when i last calibrated there (like close by fields, large objects, all the usual crap you hear about):

2015-2-26
Use props
buzzyboy
lvl.1

United States

For some reason my phantom motors wont start unless I calibrate the compass  after every start up. Anyone know why this is?
2015-2-27
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

buzzyboy Posted at 2015-2-27 22:38
For some reason my phantom motors wont start unless I calibrate the compass  after every start up. A ...

Do you transport or store your Phantom with the compass close to strong magnetic fields ( e.g.  subwoofer speaker ) ?
What does the compass mod value look like when you connect with the Phantom assistant software?
Also make sure not to be close to any strong magnetic fields or ferromagnetic materials (e.g. steel reinforced concrete,  underground cast iron pipes,...) where you're  trying to start your motors.
2015-2-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

I recalibrate if I change flight location away from my property as I typically run the battery close to the limits and if an RTH is enabled via the low battery I am thinking it might try to go back to my last compass calibrated location. I know I can set a new home point on the RC at the different location though the recalibration is my preference.
2015-2-27
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-2-27 23:30
I recalibrate if I change flight location away from my property as I typically run the battery close ...

Home point is related to GPS information and is not governed by magnetic compass calibration
2015-2-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2015-2-27 23:30
I recalibrate if I change flight location away from my property as I typically run the battery close ...

compass calibration should in now way impact your homepoint.  in theory, homepoint is set EVERY TIME YOU BOOT and does NOT persist between power down and power up sessions.  if you left the phantom ON between locations, that would be of concern, but i dont see that being likely.

as for how to set it manually, AFTER launch or AFTER it locks homelocation with the 20 fast green flashes, you can set it again by quickly toggling s2 between middle and bottom positions.  when you do this SUCCESSFULLY, you will see the 20 green flashes while it is flying to let you know it worked.

make sense?
2015-2-27
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

gnixon2015 Posted at 2015-2-27 23:36
compass calibration should in now way impact your homepoint.  in theory, homepoint is set EVERY TI ...

Yes and thanks for clarification!
Just read another thread as well that the latest firmware has a feature you can enable which will auto set a dynamic home point every 2 seconds, that would then negate the need to do the switch flip if I understand correct and you have Dynamic Home Point enabled.
2015-2-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

yes but you are also putting your trust in software there that im not yet comfortable with.  if some 'variable error' causes it to think suddenly that your iphone is in Kenya then youre in for a world of hurt.  i personally like the rigid method as i am more certain of midflight possibilities, but you are still correct in your statement, just not something i am personally using yet.
2015-2-27
Use props
buzzyboy
lvl.1

United States

PanamonCreel Posted at 2015-2-27 22:51
Do you transport or store your Phantom with the compass close to strong magnetic fields ( e.g.  su ...

I don't think Im near any heavy duty magnetic or metal structure that could interfere with the compass. It happens any where I try to start it. What should the compass mod look like on the vision assist?  This all started after some firmware updates and switching to naza mode.
2015-2-27
Use props
PanamonCreel
lvl.4

Mexico

buzzyboy Posted at 2015-2-28 01:22
I don't think Im near any heavy duty magnetic or metal structure that could interfere with the com ...

Information about "normal" mod values are provided in the Phantom assistant software.
Post a screenshot of your mod values if you don't mind. Also if you don't mind please open your own topic for this instead of using this one.
2015-2-27
Use props
ScottGunn
lvl.2

United States

I spin the craft while standing still, I may be vein but doing circles out in public just makes me feel a bit stupid.
2015-4-10
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules