Travel on Regional Jet
1860 10 2015-2-27
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

I was wondering if anyone has traveled on a smaller regional jet where they gate check your carry on.  I didn't bring my phantom this trip but as they are passing out the baggage tags it begs the question what would I do.  The batteries aren't supposed to go in the luggage compartment, but they won't let it go as a carry on. Guess I could pull them out, but nobody is telling me to do that. They don't have a clue what would be in there and the folks at the gate don't seem to know.  

Just wondering if anybody's dealt with this.
2015-2-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

hadnt had that happen but i would take the batteries out  and carry them on.  i wouldnt really like checking my phantom but i guess there is not much you can do about that at this point.  i wouldnt, however, put them in the baggage compartment as that could be dangerous even if very very very unlikely.
2015-2-27
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Yeah caught me off guard too. Not sure what to do with the batteries. Hand carrying four little grey bricks on an airplane might draw a little attention to myself. I guess I'll have to bring a bag of some kind. The phantom is in a hard case so no issue there.
2015-2-27
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

I would also carry the batteries on board.  American Airlines has warnings everywhere about the batteries.  Also, I just returned from a trip to Ecuador where i carried to drone on the 777, 767 and 737.  I will put my drone backpack into another larger suitcase and check it the next time.  YMMV.
2015-2-27
Use props
gnixon2015
lvl.4

United States

gary, i dont think you'll have a problem if you tell the staff at the gate (prior to boarding) what your situation is and why you are carrying on versus putting in belly.  i would say be proactive and talk with them instead of waiting on one of them to say something or ask.  good luck!
2015-2-27
Use props
joe
lvl.3

United States

Batteries installed in a device can be left in the device. free standing unattached batteries are the issue.  This allows you to stow your Ipod or other electronic devices.  You are also limited to the total amount or watt hours for each battery.  Batteries should be less than 100Wh.   The Phantom battery is 5.2 Ah *11.1Volts or about 58 Wh so they are OK to carry on board.  If larger than 100wh you can carry  only 2 up 160wh.
So for big 6S batteries you may need to ship in advance.
2015-2-27
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Well even though I didn't bring my phantom this trip I did talk with a lot of the airline folks and TSA and discovered what a disconnect there is between the two groups.  TSA has not issue with the Phantom or the batteries as long as they are under the 100 W and they are carried on board and not checked into the baggage compartment.  But this is where they have a disconnect with the airlines.  As far as TSA is concerned if it goes through their checkpoint it is carryon luggage and not considered checked.  They don't recognize or even acknowledge that a bag could come through the security checkpoint but still end up as checked baggage at the gate.  

From the airlines side they are going solely on the concept of space and what can and can't fit in the overhead bins.  The responses I got from the airlines was that if TSA allowed it through it is safe to fly.  They would have no issue whatsoever with me gate checking my phantom with the batteries into the baggage compartment.  They really have the attitude that TSA is the ultimate authority on what goes on the plane.  I was a bit surprised.  

So I guess I learned two things.  First I need to get a hard case for the Phantom because if I have to gate check it I don't get a choice and it will need to be tough enough to handle going into the baggage compartment.  Second what to do with the batteries is really on me, because both the TSA and the airlines don't seem to have a handle on how to control how these get handled.  So a small hand carried bag to put them in in the event I have to gate check.  I am traveling again next week so I will see how it goes.

2015-3-2
Use props
HermosaDrones
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3160344 ft
  • >>>
United States

keep us posted.  i jump on planes a fir amount and want to know.  i do plan to check the drone and carry batteries on board though.
2015-3-3
Use props
Friffy1
lvl.2

United States

gary.ok@hotmail Posted at 2015-2-28 02:26
Yeah caught me off guard too. Not sure what to do with the batteries. Hand carrying four little grey ...

So, wait...  You can't just strap the 4 of 'em across your chest or something for safe keeping while you fly?  

But seriously, it's a good question that needs a legit answer.  I'm surprised we don't have any TSA agents on the board.
2015-3-3
Use props
gary.ok
lvl.3
United States

Yep that is what I was thinking exactly.  I can leave them securely nestled in the foam protection of my hard case, or hand carry them and hope I don't get cavity searched.  Funny part is the only thing the gate agent is looking for is if I have a little pink gate check tag.  
2015-3-3
Use props
Capt. Bill
lvl.4

United States

After the crash of UPS flight 6 in 2010, they got very concerned about lithium batteries.
2015-3-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules