Gimbal repair cost?
18964 15 2017-3-29
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
digitalintruder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3652379 ft
United States

Argh, I just crashed my drone (technically my 1.5 yr old son, who grabbed the controller while I wasn't looking) which smashed the drone against the wall and made it do a nose dive into the ground breaking the gimbal from its frame. I wish I had video of it. No I’m glad I don't *man-child-tear*.

I keep reading on the forums that the turnaround time for these is long, so I decided to order another mavic (along w/ DJI Care...).

I’m curious

• - what has been the typical experience for repair      time (from sending it in, to getting it back)? I’m going on a trip in 3      weeks, and I hear it can take a lot longer; hence another drone.

• - What is the average cost for a repair like this without      DJI Care (see picture of my sadness, much sadss)?
mysadGimbal.jpg
2017-3-29
Use props
CuaC
lvl.4
Flight distance : 369626 ft
Germany

For what I've read here the turnaround is about 2 weeks from reception, and the gimbal repair (exchange indeed) it's about 250$.
2017-3-30
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

That doesn't look to bad, you might be surprised how little it will cost, I would start an RMA give it three weeks and you will have a second one.
2017-3-30
Use props
tinaunglin
New
Myanmar

Can we buy Gimble Command Cable from Third Parties ?
2017-3-30
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I'm really sorry to hear that, but I think you did the right thing by ordering another instead of stressing over whether you'll get a replacement in time for your trip.

I've seen a number of posts recently from folks in the U.S. where the turnaround time was 4+ weeks, but there seemed to be a bit of a logjam that started clearing last week when they reportedly received a shipment of new Mavics, so you might not have to wait that long.

Something else you might want to consider based on where you live and what's nearby: there's an authorized DJI dealer near me who claims to be able to provide 24-hour turnaround on most repairs. I haven't had the need to use their services so have no idea how the cost would stack up against a repair by DJI. But that dealer also gives free estimates, so if you have a similar offer near you it might be worth getting a quote before sending it to DJI.

Lastly, if you do decide to send it to DJI and are in a hurry to get it back, I also saw one post from someone who spent their own money to overnight their Mavic to DJI instead of using the slower UPS Ground. That's especially likely to make a noticeable difference in the turnaround time if, say, you live on the east coast because DJI's service center is in California.
2017-3-30
Use props
Nancy^^
lvl.2
Flight distance : 3481 ft

Hong Kong

I would start the repair progress asap.
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Normally, the turn around time is about 2 weeks.
You can learn more about main part prices and service fees here.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery
2017-3-30
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-3-30 03:31
Normally, the turn around time is about 2 weeks.
You can learn more about main part prices and service fees here.
https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/PriceQuery

Nice link Mindy, thanks for sharing. The price doesn't look to be as bad as I thought.
2017-3-30
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

You can buy that bracket on ebay. Videos on how to take it apart too.
2017-3-30
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-3-30 02:37
I'm really sorry to hear that, but I think you did the right thing by ordering another instead of stressing over whether you'll get a replacement in time for your trip.

I've seen a number of posts recently from folks in the U.S. where the turnaround time was 4+ weeks, but there seemed to be a bit of a logjam that started clearing last week when they reportedly received a shipment of new Mavics, so you might not have to wait that long.

I didn't even think of looking for an authorized repair center. That's actually a good suggestion -- thanks. At this point tho, I created the work request and sent the mavic off this AM.

I know there are re-sellers in my area; but thought all items needed to be RMA'd - I'll take a look next time - might have saved me some time / money. I think the repair is simple (famous last words)

At this point, I'm more worried it will be shipped back to me when I'm out of town :-)
2017-3-30
Use props
digitalintruder
Second Officer
United States

Nancy^^ Posted at 2017-3-30 02:39
I would start the repair progress asap.

hehe, that was the first thing I did. :-)
2017-3-30
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

digitalintruder Posted at 2017-3-30 09:01
Nice link Mindy, thanks for sharing. The price doesn't look to be as bad as I thought.

You are welcome.
If you have any further query, please feel free to let me know.
2017-3-31
Use props
Grotto13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1148937 ft
United States

mine broke as well. its almost on way back to me. YayyyY...  its been about 2 weeks from check in till now. price wasn't bad , Mindy is very helpful along with the other moderators on here  . start a send back case when you can . . now when you send it back ,   even though ups may say its been received, they get a lot of them in from crashes and other things for repairs so it does take extra few days just to get you checked into the system. when you see your mavic has been received and prosessed , post you case # here and I'm sure 1 of the  very helpful moderators will help keep you informed  of repairs status and issues and even expedite your case. hope this info helps. Cheers
2017-3-31
Use props
Donut Michigan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 42415 ft
United States

Can someone give me a general guess on what it is gonna cost me to repair my gimbal on my mini 2.
Camera works fine.  Drone found a tree.
Doug
2021-7-31
Use props
djiuser_ogYjBdasUG6O
New

United States

CuaC Posted at 2017-3-30 00:19
For what I've read here the turnaround is about 2 weeks from reception, and the gimbal repair (exchange indeed) it's about 250$.

That's more then half what I paid for the drone might as well buy another one .thatsbull if you ask me ..I broke one of the arms on my gimble I don't know what it's called but it looks like a stabilizer arm for the gimble ...but I to tried having it fixed and the time and cost was outrageous....so I opened the thing up and I supper glued the arm back on..don't care won't ever be having any one fix it if they charge and arm of my own just to fix my drone arm .....I've done a test run with it and it worked but not to my liking so I have opened it back up and rebroke it and reglued it and I have no doubt that it will work just fine ...I'll post this picture and If I can figure out how I'll post a video
2023-6-28
Use props
Burt37
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4009 ft
Australia

djiuser_ogYjBdasUG6O Posted at 6-28 16:23
That's more then half what I paid for the drone might as well buy another one .thatsbull if you ask me ..I broke one of the arms on my gimble I don't know what it's called but it looks like a stabilizer arm for the gimble ...but I to tried having it fixed and the time and cost was outrageous....so I opened the thing up and I supper glued the arm back on..don't care won't ever be having any one fix it if they charge and arm of my own just to fix my drone arm .....I've done a test run with it and it worked but not to my liking so I have opened it back up and rebroke it and reglued it and I have no doubt that it will work just fine ...I'll post this picture and If I can figure out how I'll post a video

In 2017 ???

But yes, do post some pictures of your repair...

That would be suppper..
2023-6-28
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules