Blur or no?
969 10 2017-3-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

**If you just watch the video, from 0-26" it was out of focus and this is with the helmet on.  I am just curious if you guys see that blur on the bottom right that some are getting. AFTER 26 seconds.  Sorry for being lazy. I could have just uploaded it off but I just upload it.

First of all, I'm flying with the helmet until I get at a minimum a UV filter. Frankly, I don't even like flying it with just the helmet and nothing covering the lens because dust will get in there and any photographer will tell you, NEVER expose the lens but for a second when changing lens and be careful. Nobody would say go flying with it exposed and I can tell you now from my first couple flights that that helmet doesn't keep all the elements out.

PUT A FILTER ON THAT LENS, be it an ND filter (like the one on every other bird like the P4, Inspire, etc) or an ND, or ND/PL from places like Polar Pro.

Flying your bird (even with the helmet) is a game and flying it without the helmet and no filter at all is GUARANTEED to cause you problems down the line.

So this is my question and please realize I am flying with the helmet because I don't have my filtes until like Wednesday and then I will never fly without one on.  I can't figure out why they didn't sell the Mavic without a ND filter like they did every other bird they've ever sold but hey, it's selling.

I didn't turn on the infinity focus it looks like until about 26 seconds so that is blurry as hell but does the bottom right that some people are having problems with look okay to you?

Thanks in advance.

it can go up to 4k so set it as high as you can please.  Thanks or any input.

2017-3-31
Use props
thehippoz
lvl.4
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

It's a good one. Looked at 4k, nothing blurry after you focused.
2017-3-31
Use props
DroneFlying
lvl.4
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

I am just curious if you guys see that blur on the bottom right that some are getting.

I saw that everything (both right and left) closer to the Mavic / near the bottom of the video was out of focus until around 0:26, at which point the focus was changed and things became sharper. If anything, I found the blur more noticeable on the left than on the right.

I'm flying with the helmet

Which helmet would that be? Oh, you mean the Mavic's gimbal cover, don't you?

I don't even like flying it with just the helmet and nothing covering the lens because dust will get in there and any photographer will tell you, NEVER expose the lens but for a second when changing lens and be careful.

I think you're referring to an SLR camera's housing / body into which there's an opening while replacing lenses. Yes, dust can get in there that can't just be wiped off.

Nobody would say go flying with it exposed and I can tell you now from my first couple flights that that helmet doesn't keep all the elements out.

The gimbal cover isn't intended to keep dust off the the camera. Its purpose is to protect the gimbal.

PUT A FILTER ON THAT LENS, be it an ND filter (like the one on every other bird like the P4, Inspire, etc) or an ND, or ND/PL from places like Polar Pro.

I think you probably meant "be it a UV filter".

Flying your bird (even with the helmet) is a game

What do I get if I win the game?
2017-3-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

thehippoz Posted at 2017-3-31 14:45
It's a good one. Looked at 4k, nothing blurry after you focused.

Cheers!

I sometimes don't see what you guys see so happy to hear it.

I only hope I didn't blur it up when I touched the lens while putting the gimbal lock on. I put my thumb on the lens by accident I think.

Thank for the feedback!
2017-3-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

I am just curious if you guys see that blur on the bottom right that some are getting.

I saw that everything (both right and left) closer to the Mavic / near the bottom of the video was out of focus until around 0:26, at which point the focus was changed and things became sharper. If anything, I found the blur more noticeable on the left than on the right.
***EDIT: Oh I see what you're saying, once in focus, you didn't see the blur but maybe more on the right. I think that might have been the shadows.  Thanks for the feedback.

***Yes, that is what I meant.  And it was just out of focus before 26" but you are saying you still saw blur on the right and or left AFTER THE focus?  Not sure

I'm flying with the helmet

Which helmet would that be? Oh, you mean the Mavic's gimbal cover, don't you?

***Yes, I meant the helmet, the gimbal cover

I don't even like flying it with just the helmet and nothing covering the lens because dust will get in there and any photographer will tell you, NEVER expose the lens but for a second when changing lens and be careful.

I think you're referring to an SLR camera's housing / body into which there's an opening while replacing lenses. Yes, dust can get in there that can't just be wiped off.

****This is not true. The actual lens is in the back and when you are changing lens of a DSLR cam, you should do it quick or put on a lens cover to keep elements out.  The helmet is not to protect the gimbal, it is to protect the lens which should not be and I am surprises is exposed to any element it flies into. You should NEVER touch a lens with anything. If a bug crashes into it, you are not supposed to wipe it off. If YOU MUST, rubbing alcohol and a lens pen is your best option but ideally, a lens should never be touched or exposed and it's wide open and without flying with a filter you are bombarding it with elements.

Nobody would say go flying with it exposed and I can tell you now from my first couple flights that that helmet doesn't keep all the elements out.

The gimbal cover isn't intended to keep dust off the glass of the camera. Its purpose is to protect the gimbal.

***Maybe I answered out of order. Not true.  It's to protect the lens, not the gimbal. The gimbal doesn't need protection.  The lens does.

I think you probably meant "be it a UV filter".

***You are correct. While an ND filter would serve the same purpose of protecting the lens, I did in fact mean an UV filter. Thank you.

Flying your bird (even with the helmet) is a game

What do I get if I win the game?

***A clean lens.
***EDIT: I just saw that (showing what you own thing they just added).  First, it doesn't show all my stuff because I use different logs and secondly, it's nobody's business what I buy and should not be shared without my consent. I respectfully request DJI remove that.

2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-3-31 15:05

I see bottom Left Blur same as DronFlying see's
2017-3-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

SkunkWerxs Posted at 2017-3-31 15:26
I see bottom Left Blur same as DronFlying see's

Isn't it bottom right blur that is the problem?

On the bottom left, it's super dark and I am exposed for infinity, so I wouldn't be surprised on a little close and dark blur.  But that's not the problem people are having is it?

I am not trying to talk my way out of it, just using my knowledge and hoping its right.

It's locked to a much brighter infinity distance and that is close and dark, that would probably unfocus.

Right?  Not sure why they are using their most consumer UAS to try and put DOP tricks in it.
Thanks for the fededback!
2017-3-31
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-3-31 15:30
Isn't it bottom right blur that is the problem?

On the bottom left, it's super dark and I am exposed for infinity, so I wouldn't be surprised on a little close and dark blur.  But that's not the problem people are having is it?

From what I been reading with the Blur problem --- it really starts in the center of the Picture and then as you go down and right ---------------------------------------------------------------I---->
it really gets fuzzy and noticeable                                                      I
                                                                                                       I
                                                                                                         I------------------------>
I don't see the above problem with your pic / Video
Try taking a picture with it ---- if you do have any blur problems it will be more noticeable then a Video
I think your right about the dark shading in your Vid
To make sure snap a pic        
2017-3-31
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Thanks for the advice. I will do that. I'm hesitant to fly it without a filter covering the actual lens and a homepoint and will never fly it without something covering the lens and the helmet only slightly makes me feel better while degrading the image.

I'll have my filters shortly and will send a few pics. Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!
2017-3-31
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-3-31 16:23
Thanks for the advice. I will do that. I'm hesitant to fly it without a filter covering the actual lens and a homepoint and will never fly it without something covering the lens and the helmet only slightly makes me feel better while degrading the image.

I'll have my filters shortly and will send a few pics. Thanks for the feedback, it's much appreciated!

Why don't you try the test with the gimbal cover off, yes GIMBAL COVER as droneflying, mentioned, it is not a lens helmet as you say, it's clearly called a gimbal cover, that's what it's called in the Manual that's what everyone calls it because that's what it is, and it's clearly to cover gimbal.

"Helmet protective cover for the head" if dji wanted to make a helmet then it would be on top of the Mavic, if the sole purpose of the gimbal cover was to protect the lens I'm sure they would have given it a name associated with covering lens, but instead they called it a gimbal cover because that's what it does.

Sometimes you come up with the most ridiculous stuff
2017-4-6
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-6 12:48
Why don't you try the test with the gimbal cover off, yes GIMBAL COVER as droneflying, mentioned, it is not a lens helmet as you say, it's clearly called a gimbal cover, that's what it's called in the Manual that's what everyone calls it because that's what it is, and it's clearly to cover gimbal.

"Helmet protective cover for the head" if dji wanted to make a helmet then it would be on top of the Mavic, if the sole purpose of the gimbal cover was to protect the lens I'm sure they would have given it a name associated with covering lens, but instead they called it a gimbal cover because that's what it does.

It's not ridiculous at all.

If you fly it without a UV filter over the lens then your non removable lens is exposed, you are exposing the elements to the only thing protecting every shot and video you take (not only the sun, but bugs, dust and whatever. Scratch that and it will be in every video and picture you take).  Be my guest and do it if you want, not my deisre to do until i have a protection for it which right now is just the helmet.  I will have the Polar Pro filters and UV protector in a day or two.

The helmet will come off with I get my Polar Pro UV filter and CS Vivid series filters and not a minute before then. If you don't, that's fine with me as my choice should make no difference to you.

I actually know exactly what I am saying and what I mean.
2017-4-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules