1228 12 2017-4-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Fabeaux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103048 ft
United States

Hey guys,

I'm trying to see if anyone else has had an issue I've had twice with my P4P.

Midflight I've had my drone lose it's GPS signal and the compass goes completely out of whack. I somewhat have control but the drone will begin to spin out of control and the gimbal will go a little crazy, so pressing forward will just make me go in bigger circles.

Before take off I of course wait for GPS to be confirmed and I usually wait to be connected to about 11-13 satellites before take off. This was the case in both my instances/scares.

Thankfully I was able to land safely after my mishaps but it was very scary.

I'm wondering if anyone else has had this problem and if you have, have you had any kind of help or answer from DJI. Could this be a problem with the P4P or could it be just my drone? Or maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Below I have posted the warnings I got during the most recent flight & a link to a video that shows exactly what was happening with my drone (I don't have a recording of my own because I am using it for photographs so I keep it in camera mode.).

SKIP TO 6:30 IN THE VIDEO    SKIP TO 6:30 IN THE VIDEO    SKIP TO 6:30 IN THE VIDEO

Thanks Alot.
Photo Apr 02, 5 53 52 PM.png
2017-4-2
Use props
JCarlosReynoso
lvl.1
Flight distance : 10459 ft
Mexico

Scary, muy P3S lost RC signal ver y often, even in wide open spaces at 100m distance,
2017-4-2
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

I would do a IMU and Compass calibration and set it beginner mode so you can't fly to high. Make sure you are not near any metal or anything with metal in it like concrete or even your driveway  when you do your calibrations.
Make sure there are no errors from the compass or IMU and test it in an open area away from people, I wouldn't go above a couple of meters until your confident to is flying ok. That was some crazy flying, maybe try using the RTH if it does it again as it might fly properly back to  you. I noticed it re-recorded the RTH position so if you do use this option and it starts to go to the new RTH position be ready to cancel it.
It probably would be a good idea to land straight away if it does it again even if it's a couple hundred metres away.
2017-4-2
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

2017-4-2
Use props
Phantom3ProPilo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 612825 ft
Croatia

Do you calibrate your compass before every flight? If you do, you shouldn't
2017-4-2
Use props
Cabansail
lvl.4
Flight distance : 136686 ft

Australia

Can you upload the flight logs from the problem flights so they can be examined.
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

2017-4-2
Use props
Spirytus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 126864 ft
  • >>>
Canada

There are 2 flight logs.

- One saved by the DJI GO4 on your tablet (follow instructions on the phantom help site) and post the link it generated.
- The other (more detailed) log is saved on the Phantom itself. You'll need to use DJI Assistant 2 software found here- here).

DJI rep will ask you to sync your flight log and post a ticket #.
2017-4-2
Use props
Fabeaux
lvl.1
Flight distance : 103048 ft
United States

mic75 Posted at 2017-4-2 21:22
I would do a IMU and Compass calibration and set it beginner mode so you can't fly to high. Make sure you are not near any metal or anything with metal in it like concrete or even your driveway  when you do your calibrations.
Make sure there are no errors from the compass or IMU and test it in an open area away from people, I wouldn't go above a couple of meters until your confident to is flying ok. That was some crazy flying, maybe try using the RTH if it does it again as it might fly properly back to  you. I noticed it re-recorded the RTH position so if you do use this option and it starts to go to the new RTH position be ready to cancel it.
It probably would be a good idea to land straight away if it does it again even if it's a couple hundred metres away.

Yeah, The re-recorded RTH was from when I regained control and landed it, I landed it about 100 feet away and it saved a new point.

I'm gonna plug my phantom in and get those detailed logs to take a good look at them. My entire flight was only about a minute long. loss of control for about 30 seconds
2017-4-2
Use props
Eric13
Second Officer
Flight distance : 13982031 ft
  • >>>
Germany

Understanding the .DAT files from the AC I find very difficult. Thtat's probably only good for professionals (like DJI).
More important for yourself are the flight records from the tablet.
I would think those won't help you much though. You will just see that something went wrong (like in the warnings).

If you are done with all calibrations and it happens again, follow the advice in one of the warnings:
Switch to Atti. This mode ignores GPS - not sure but maybe even Compass.

When I had issues with my P3S with warnings like magnetic interference, compass error etc. it would automatically switch to Atti and give me a warning about this.
I'm wondering why your P4P didn't go into Atti by itself...

This might be helpful:
http://www.phantompilots.com/thr ... tentionally.105385/

I

2017-4-3
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

she was brave standing in front of that thing!!
2017-4-3
Use props
Dovivan
lvl.4
Flight distance : 7349334 ft
  • >>>
Slovakia

mic75 Posted at 2017-4-2 21:22

Never, never use RTH when you have problem with GPS or COMPAS. This is not mirracle button for problems in the air. RTH needs CORRECT data from GPS and COMPAS for successful return. Many inexperienced pilots lost drones when they  tried solve similar problems with RTH.
2017-4-3
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Dovivan Posted at 2017-4-3 01:52
Never, never use RTH when you have problem with GPS or COMPAS. This is not mirracle button for problems in the air. RTH needs CORRECT data from GPS and COMPAS for successful return. Many inexperienced pilots lost drones when they  tried solve similar problems with RTH.

I only suggest RTH because he said when he pushed forward on the stick it went in bigger circles. If you can't get it home because of a control issue RTH is worth a try and you can always cancel it.
2017-4-3
Use props
ukaleq
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1303780 ft
Germany

See my thread
https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... 41&page=1#pid775598

by the way has the problem been acknowledged/fixed by DJI?
2017-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules