Ambient light too bright ???
1571 8 2017-4-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 464531 ft
Italy

I got this weird message on my iPad while descending with the P4 with 14% of battery left : Ambient Light Too Bright.
Immediately after, the VPS switched off and the P4 became more unstable in a moderately windy situation. Not a big issue controlling the bird, but really surprised of reading it.
I was used to get messages about ambient light beeing too low at the dawn.. but.. never too bright. Moreover, it was just a normal sunny day.
I couldn't find any report of such a message googling around the web.
Playing back the flight on the iPad would not display the above mentioned message, but can show the warning message of obstacle avoidance being disabled.
Weird.
P.S. the picture below just shows a message saying the obstacle avoidance is disabled.

Image-1.jpg
2017-4-3
Use props
ibuyufo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 819098 ft
United States

Maybe it's so bright I can't really see the message.
2017-4-3
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Italy

ibuyufo Posted at 2017-4-3 14:35
Maybe it's so bright I can't really see the message.

Playing back the flight on the iPad would not show it again. It appeared once during the flight.
Indeed the picture above doesn't show much, except the fact that the obstacle avoidance was disabled.
I am confident about the fact I wasn't dreaming. I did not smoke anything nor got drug of any kind... so I must assume it was real.
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Silvestrone Posted at 2017-4-3 14:45
Playing back the flight on the iPad would not show it again. It appeared once during the flight.
Indeed the picture above doesn't show much, except the fact that the obstacle avoidance was disabled.
I am confident about the fact I wasn't dreaming. I did not smoke anything nor got drug of any kind... so I must assume it was real.

Error messages are not usually played back when you replay the flight, but I believe you saw the message. It sounds a bit odd, but I wonder if it was referring to the forward obstacle avoidance, could it have been looking at the sun?
2017-4-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

The manual has a long list of situations that will cause problems for the sensors including very bright conditions.
2017-4-3
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Silvestrone Posted at 2017-4-3 14:45

Like Geebax mentioned, were you facing the sun at the time or facing anything reflective? You may want to check the sensors and make sure that they are clean.
2017-4-3
Use props
Silvestrone
lvl.2
Italy

Geebax Posted at 2017-4-3 15:49
Error messages are not usually played back when you replay the flight, but I believe you saw the message. It sounds a bit odd, but I wonder if it was referring to the forward obstacle avoidance, could it have been looking at the sun?

No, it was just a ordinary sunny day. It was about 11 am, which means the sun wasn't near the horizon same at it would be during the sunset or the sunrise. Nothing reflefctive around: just grass and trees. I flew in much brighter conditions with no issues.
By the way, I flew again the same day and the following without the same message appearing again.
I wonder if the low battery status could have played some role in disabling the obstacle avoidance system.
2017-4-3
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

Silvestrone Posted at 2017-4-3 22:57
No, it was just a ordinary sunny day. It was about 11 am, which means the sun wasn't near the horizon same at it would be during the sunset or the sunrise. Nothing reflefctive around: just grass and trees. I flew in much brighter conditions with no issues.
By the way, I flew again the same day and the following without the same message appearing again.
I wonder if the low battery status could have played some role in disabling the obstacle avoidance system.

In that case, it looks like a true mystery.
2017-4-3
Use props
mic75
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3799423 ft
Australia

Was it pointed at anyone's Butt, some people think the sun shines out there Arse.
2017-4-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules