Attention all of those affected by the camera blur defect.
1549 19 2017-4-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

Please contact me at shamus@romanowlawgroup.com with the subject line Mavic.

2017-4-4
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
Flight distance : 986716 ft
United States

Ut-oh,  Might want to hide your intentions better than your e-mail addie.
2017-4-4
Use props
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-4 15:30
Ut-oh,  Might want to hide your intentions better than your e-mail addie.

We've heard numerous claims to the extent of this defect. Ranging from "X out of 10" to " x thousands shipped defective" and it is all crazy speculation. I think it would be nice, as a consumer, to have some basis of objective measurement. Granted, far more information is needed to make specific claims such as "X out of 10", but it's something to start with.

I'm not trying to be sneaky, so my intentions are clear:

Personally; several DJI products are amazing tools, I want to know if they can be trusted before I invest more.

Professionally; my disappointment piqued my employer's curiosity, and five minutes on Google confirmed there was reason to ask questions.
2017-4-4
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

Only having those with the blur problem email will not give you any kind of statistic as the the percentage of faulty units.

A little over a month ago I conducted a poll on a Mavic facebook group with 20K members resulting in 284 data points. Of those 284 replies 200 had no problems. Only 4 had camera blur problems. It was the 7th most common problem. On this forum it seems like a common problem because everyone with that problem disproportionately comes here.

As of today it has 306 replies. 214 of those have "No problems". Only 5 "Blur" problems.

So if you want an "X of out 10" it is ".16 out of 10".

Data here:https://forum.dji.com/thread-859 ... read-85936-1-1.html[/url]
2017-4-4
Use props
thehippoz
Second Officer
Flight distance : 23 ft
United States

I would be careful Shamus, if I was a dji programmer I would initiate "project fatboy", that's where the assistant erases everything on your computer and they turn on the webcam to capture dafaq!

Then you go on the wall of shame in Kens office (He gets a letter from Jinping saying well done). Agree with geofox, actually if you read the forums you would know how many mavics have been produced. The number was shocking but they've banked over a billion on mavic alone (estimated by number produced). So the few complaining here, probably nothing.
2017-4-4
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

Shamus Posted at 2017-4-4 16:56
We've heard numerous claims to the extent of this defect. Ranging from "X out of 10" to " x thousands shipped defective" and it is all crazy speculation. I think it would be nice, as a consumer, to have some basis of objective measurement. Granted, far more information is needed to make specific claims such as "X out of 10", but it's something to start with.

I'm not trying to be sneaky, so my intentions are clear:

I wasn't disagreeing.  There is a certain amount of headroom to be allowed in this field of innovation but there are certain things that it SHOULD do.

I am ordering a more than 10K I2 and am holding off until I can prove that my Mavic issue is an anomaly or if it's a bigger one.

DJI always finds their equilibrium.  I've been around them for a decade. Had a flame wheel and an S1000 so I know.

That said, right now my Mavic won't let me set a homepoint and I bought directly from DJI with Refresh.  I would normally buy from someone else because of their harder return policy but they actually, as usual, treated me quite well. Not being able to set a dynamic homepoint is a deal breaker.  If a wayward homepoint is accidentally set by either me or by the bird, not being able to set a new one at the RC is uncomfortable, plus I often shoot from boats making dynamic homepoints a must.

So I am packing up my brand new Mavic after much anticipation and sending it back and hopefully in the next 48 hours as I wait for the return slip, I will find the problem, or they will.

I am working closely with them to get the issue fixed.

I do not have a blur issue which makes me all the more want to keep this one.

I truly believe its a software issue that will be taken care of but I just don't have the time to wait around and then get a used one on a warranty replacement.   So my hand is being forced.  

Like I said, DJI always finds their equilibrium.  Everyone complains but this is a VERY precise business in an area that is hard to be precise. I cannot complain about DJI, they have changed the game around the  world in both hobbies and careers that I love, photography and flying machine birds.

It's sort of like yelling at the Beatles for making a bad song.  Not that the Mavic is a bad song, in fact it's Eleanor Rigby, it's just a bad piece of software at the moment.
2017-4-4
Use props
geofox784
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1482175 ft
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-4 18:42
I wasn't disagreeing.  There is a certain amount of headroom to be allowed in this field of innovation but there are certain things that it SHOULD do.

I am ordering a more than 10K I2 and am holding off until I can prove that my Mavic issue is an anomaly or if it's a bigger one.

"I truly believe it's a software issue"

Knowing a fair amount about how camera optics work there is no way this is software. Software would result in something like bad compression where everything is poor quality or blurry. While experimenting with mine that had the problem (hopefully its replacement in the mail right now does not) it was clear to me that it is an optical problem. Likely a result of the sensor not being perfectly perpendicular to the sensor similar to a tilt shift lens that does a similar effect intentionally. If it was software it wouldn't change depending on where you focus. I can make the "blurry" side of the sensor clear if I focus on it. However then the rest of the sensor is blurry. Simply a problem with the sensor not being equidistant across the focal plane.
2017-4-4
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

geofox784 Posted at 2017-4-4 18:49
"I truly believe it's a software issue"

Knowing a fair amount about how camera optics work there is no way this is software. Software would result in something like bad compression where everything is poor quality or blurry. While experimenting with mine that had the problem (hopefully its replacement in the mail right now does not) it was clear to me that it is an optical problem. Likely a result of the sensor not being perfectly perpendicular to the sensor similar to a tilt shift lens that does a similar effect intentionally. If it was software it wouldn't change depending on where you focus. I can make the "blurry" side of the sensor clear if I focus on it. However then the rest of the sensor is blurry. Simply a problem with the sensor not being equidistant across the focal plane.

I would normally agree with you but I can't tell you how many times I used my VAST knowledge of both RC and photography and it worked against me.

It's a different culture, a different set of ethics and even though we would expect them to come out and say something, and fix it on the fly, they will do it at their own leisure and without a word.

I am not saying it's wrong, I am saying that sometimes our own knowledge works against us.

I.E. - I have a Mavic that was designed in the same factory, with the same parts and people putting  it together and I have a completely different problem and to be truthful, I am afraid to send mine back because you may be right, it could be optical (in which case they will fix them) but my problem is almost definitely software (unless they put a different transmitter in mine than some others which sounds ludicrous) but I have to send back before the 7 day period even if I did buy with creds.
I have run the gamut with them for a decade and have found to have faith that they will get it right in the end ad it will continue to add from there.  I will advise once you do find the firmware and combo that works for you, NEVER change it, but don't be too unsure that its not something that cant be fixed or rather that the problem is software. It could be.  I to am a photographer and at the risk of being labeled a chest thumper, I have 8 emmy wins as a DP and 15 nominations so I have been doing this for a LOOONGGG time and understand why you might think it's optics.  If it is, it might just be a focus issue in which somehow they went out unfocused which would frankly be amazing but since they happen all over the place, it's anybody's guess.

You may be right.  I am sure you and I both hope you're not.  They are far from perfect but they still make the best hardware and I have yet to see them leave the mass consumer left high and dry.  I've seen a couple cases where the individual was but they won't let their company flounder by doing something like creating a bird that leaves tens, hundreds, maybe millions unhappy.  This is BY FAR the highest selling UAS ever.

I have seen the numbers and I don't even believe them. It's a wonder they are even able to function as a company right now.
2017-4-4
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

There's no need to resort to all that jazz about an implied lawsuit by the huge three-attorney law firm you work for: just ask one of the DJI employees on here to look into your case and I'll bet they will, just as they do for everyone else who complains.

In the meantime, if you're doing videos for professional work you should seriously consider getting a Phantom 4 Pro instead of a Mavic, because it's common knowledge that the P4P has better video capabilities. And since it's being used for your job, you ought to be able to get the ambulance chaser you work for to pay for it.

P.S. You do know that it's a violation of federal regulations to fly a drone for business purposes without a Part 107 certification, right? So if I were to go look in the FAA's database I'd find an entry for a Shamus Oliver in Pittsburgh?
2017-4-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-4 18:42

Why would you spend 10k on I2 when this is just around the corner.

http://bestdroneunderhalfapound.com/dji-phantom-5-mavic-pro/
2017-4-5
Use props
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 02:37
There's no need to resort to all that jazz about an implied lawsuit by the huge three-attorney law firm you work for: just ask one of the DJI employees on here to look into your case and I'll bet they will, just as they do for everyone else who complains.

In the meantime, if you're doing videos for professional work you should seriously consider getting a Phantom 4 Pro instead of a Mavic, because it's common knowledge that the P4P has better video capabilities. And since it's being used for your job, you ought to be able to get the ambulance chaser you work for to pay for it.

You seem offended, not sure what that is all about.

As of yet, I am not a drone pilot, it's hard to practice whilst DJI has my Mavic. Using this for work is quite far off. Congrats on your stellar investigative prowess to find my last name, and you will not find me as 107 certified, yet. Right now, I have to model, texture and animate everything in the scene, it would be a tremendous benefit to be able to match move.

My case has already been "looked into" several times, and my fate decided. The problem I encountered is that I didn't even notice the blur for a few days, and I crashed it in between. I backed it into a wall because I was too close in front of it, so the forward sensors wouldn't let it move forward, I panicked, thought the controls were messed up and hit backward. Backward was super effective and it hit the wall, bounced off and recovered. It did though, leave a small white mark, which is all the fine folks at DJI needed to deny my warranty claim.

I don't work for an ambulance chaser, and that's just rude. If you don't understand the profession, please refrain from comment. You wouldn't want me to assume all drone pilots were condescending children would you?

You don't understand how this process works. If I/he/we were even considering litigating with DJI, I would not be on their forum. It was an exercise in curiosity. I have received many emails from people who seem to understand the purpose.

2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Shamus Posted at 2017-4-5 04:33
You seem offended, not sure what that is all about.

As of yet, I am not a drone pilot, it's hard to practice whilst DJI has my Mavic. Using this for work is quite far off. Congrats on your stellar investigative prowess to find my last name, and you will not find me as 107 certified, yet. Right now, I have to model, texture and animate everything in the scene, it would be a tremendous benefit to be able to match move.

you will not find me as 107 certified

That's what I suspected despite your indications that you have already used or intended to use the Mavic for work.

My case has already been "looked into" several times, and my fate decided.

That's a bummer (seriously) and had you taken a different tack I'd probably be expressing my sympathy instead.

I don't work for an ambulance chaser

Are you claiming that he doesn't specialize in personal injury cases? Because that's what an "ambulance chaser" is -- as I'm sure you well know.

You don't understand how this process works. If I/he/we were even considering litigating with DJI, I would not be on their forum. It was an exercise in curiosity.

Oh, ok, my mistake. So can you clarify what your intent was when you made these statements:

"I animate car accidents for a law firm to show the jury . . . Professionally; my disappointment piqued my employer's curiosity"

"The only silver lining here is, as they start denying to fix these defects as warranty, we have recoverable damages. My boss is very happy about the stance they are taking, which is in clear violation of the Uniform Commercial Code. We can't form a class and sue if they warranty the defect."

"This will be litigated."
2017-4-5
Use props
SkunkWerxs
lvl.4
Flight distance : 231217 ft
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-5 04:28

Hall,

Wow thanks for posting this -- I too was looking to invest in a more aggressive flying and bigger drone
with all the X5 capability's --- I think I'll wait a little longer also after it comes out because DJI's
biggest problem with software needs to prove to me to be more Stable!!! and compatible with other devices --- Love the Sleek Look and Belly Cam but as you know Dependable Performance outweighs
Looks in RC Flying        
2017-4-5
Use props
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 04:53
you will not find me as 107 certified

That's what I suspected despite your indications that you have already used or intended to use the Mavic for work.

I very much intend to use this for work, assuming I can get one that works well enough to match move. I also have enough respect for what you all do to not consider myself a drone pilot after an hour of flight.

It was a bummer, hence the disappointment that was noticed by my employer.

You do realize that ambulance chaser is a derogatory term right? We help people who have been injured and call our firm, there is no chasing happening here.

I thought I made my intentions clear when I wrote this:

“I'm not trying to be sneaky, so my intentions are clear:

Personally; several DJI products are amazing tools, I want to know if they can be trusted before I invest more.

Professionally; my disappointment piqued my employer's curiosity, and five minutes on Google confirmed there was reason to ask questions.”

Buddy, I don’t know how I made you mad, it wasn’t my intent. I was curious, and so was my employer, so I asked a question.

If I were a betting man, I very much would bet that this will be litigated. It will not be litigated by the firm I work for, nor will we be involved, but I am sure it will happen.
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Shamus Posted at 2017-4-5 05:11
I very much intend to use this for work, assuming I can get one that works well enough to match move. I also have enough respect for what you all do to not consider myself a drone pilot after an hour of flight.

It was a bummer, hence the disappointment that was noticed by my employer.

We help people who have been injured and call our firm, there is no chasing happening here.

Ah, so your boss doesn't literally chase ambulances? Well that changes everything, doesn't it?

I thought I made my intentions clear

Yes, I think you did.

It will not be litigated by the firm I work for, nor will we be involved

I guess what threw me off was mainly the part where you wrote that your boss was happy because you couldn't form a class and sue if DJI addressed your problem as a warranty defect. But thanks for clarifying this; I'm sure the folks at DJI are breathing a huge sigh of relief now.
2017-4-5
Use props
Shamus
lvl.1
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 05:35
We help people who have been injured and call our firm, there is no chasing happening here.

Ah, so your boss doesn't literally chase ambulances? Well that changes everything, doesn't it?

Wow. So hostility is the tone of the day I see.

I am sorry you or someone you care about had a bad experience with a law firm. That is not sarcasm, it happens, it sucks, and the whole industry pays the price.

I wish you happy flying.
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

Shamus Posted at 2017-4-5 05:49
Wow. So hostility is the tone of the day I see.

I am sorry you or someone you care about had a bad experience with a law firm. That is not sarcasm, it happens, it sucks, and the whole industry pays the price.

I wish you happy flying.

Thanks! You too.
2017-4-5
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 2017-4-5 04:28

Without reading that because I don't have the time, but off the cuff, IF it's true, fully uncompressed deliverables at 2.6gpbs and interchangeable lens, 4/3 size sensors, full range of f-stops, ProRes and much more.  

Granted, I didn't read, although I plan to your P5 article even if real or not.
2017-4-5
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
United States

ArtistFirst Posted at 2017-4-5 07:24
Without reading that because I don't have the time, but off the cuff, IF it's true, fully uncompressed deliverables at 2.6gpbs and interchangeable lens, 4/3 size sensors, full range of f-stops, ProRes and much more.  

I  hope it is true, because if it is that's going to be one sweet machine.
2017-4-5
Use props
ArtistFirst
lvl.4
United States

DroneFlying Posted at 2017-4-5 07:27

I  hope it is true, because if it is that's going to be one sweet machine.

Ummm, I watched that video and that was just a freestyler and DEFINITELY not a video Phantom UAS.

That was a racer/freestyler.
2017-4-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules