What tools are needed for phantom 3 shell replacement?
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans8aa0997d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91814 ft
United States

I have read that a Torx T6 and T8 bit is needed. Do I need a soldering iron? Desoldering iron. Looks like I finally became victim of those stress cracks. Would rather have money go towards a new battery instead of a new shell and required tools.

2017-4-8
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

It is safer to have DJI do this, but if you are determined, here's the list of tool I used for my P3 Pro back in October 2015 (with luck there's no unsoldering to do). There's a step (reinstalling the small LED equipped printed circuit boards in the arms) where you might use an iron (or glue) to melt the tab tips. Have a look on the web for some videos before starting and make yourself a step-by-step list of what to do (you'll probably correct this as you open yours). The job requires patience and a clean working area with lots of light. The trickiest step is probably opening the shells, as there are several different kinds of tab-locks.  
•        Torx T6 screwdriver
•        Torx T8 screwdriver
•        2mm Allen key or screwdriver
•        Standard flat screwdriver & dull table knife (used to lever open body-shell)
•        Small flat screwdriver (2.4 or 3mm flat) is used to press-open connector latches
•        Small precision Phillips-head screwdrivers (P00, P0 and P1)
•        Curved electronics tweezers

Have fun & good flying when its done!
2017-4-8
Use props
fans8aa0997d
lvl.2
Flight distance : 91814 ft
United States

johnsr Posted at 2017-4-8 05:21
It is safer to have DJI do this, but if you are determined, here's the list of tool I used for my P3 Pro back in October 2015 (with luck there's no unsoldering to do). There's a step (reinstalling the small LED equipped printed circuit boards in the arms) where you might use an iron (or glue) to melt the tab tips. Have a look on the web for some videos before starting and make yourself a step-by-step list of what to do (you'll probably correct this as you open yours). The job requires patience and a clean working area with lots of light. The trickiest step is probably opening the shells, as there are several different kinds of tab-locks.  

Thank you for the information.  Sounds fun....
2017-4-8
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

johnsr Posted at 2017-4-8 05:21

You forgot beer.  Beer is a required tool as well.
2017-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules