What happens if home point battery return level is after critical battery level
2457 4 2015-2-28
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

I just want to share a situation which can lead to automatically landing ,possibly in places where one doesn't want to ,due to reaching critical low battery level...this can happen if you set your critical battery level point high eg 20%.Then it can easily happen that the " Power requires to return point"( the little H on the line,page 14 of the instruction manual)  occurs after that 20%( the critical low battery level point on the line on p.14) , so all of the sudden the inspire lands ( when it reaches 20%) wherever it is ,without returning home, while you were feeling safe that you still have battery left.
I feel that this can lead to potentially undesirable landings and should be addressed.
2015-2-28
Use props
Colonel Angus
lvl.4

United States

Glad you brought this up I have wondered about this as well setting my critical warning at 15 percent and first warning at 30% I am always close to home at 50% no matter what as a safe guard .Old phantom flying habit comes in handy to cut flying time to a reasonable time frame almost in half.
I never trust the battery's ...
Myself Im Still in test flying here due to weather etc maybe 4 full flights on my inspire1 but never took it to critical batt level yet.
I hope someone can shed light on the possible auto land via hitting critical battery status.
One would think RTH would put it in a hover mode at the height set then the craft would traverse home.
You mean to say at the critical setting it will just auto land?

Possibly best battery settings most use would be helpful ..Thinking now 15% is to high for the critical warning if this is a possible scenario.
2015-3-1
Use props
al2sar
lvl.2

Greece

Colonel Angus Posted at 2015-3-1 16:14
Glad you brought this up I have wondered about this as well setting my critical warning at 15 percen ...

Indeed 15% is high since if you are not flying far the home point is at 10% or even less ...hence when I hit 15% it just landed wherever it was ,in one case behind a fence a few meters away!!!
I have flown 11 flights almost all to 14 or 15 min but I used to have critical at 20% , I thought to be safe, but it was a mistake...now I have it at 15% but still
Otherwise flies like a dream even in the wind , also have never lost connection seems more solid than my phantom which however is still a great little machine
2015-3-1
Use props
arunmehta
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120909757 ft
  • >>>
Canada

min for critical batt is 10% and min for low batt warning is 15% thats where i have set up
2015-3-1
Use props
amorrison
lvl.3
Flight distance : 325230 ft
  • >>>
United States

I think the practice of returning home and landing at around 50% (under pilot control) makes a lot of sense. It gives you many more battery cycles, and if you need more flight time, get more batteries. Both the auto landing and auto RTH can get you in big trouble in the right circumstances. The only one that will never get you in trouble is to monitor your battery levels and come home around 50%. I also monitor flight times to make sure the time to 50% isn't changing.
2015-3-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules