Pulling stills from a video always this bad?
1042 6 2017-4-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Vimlossus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113071 ft
United States

Maybe I haven't noticed before, but when I pull still images from a 4K video, it looks absolutely horrible when zoomed in to 100%. I was hoping this is just an effect of pulling from video as my DNG files are crisp and clear.

What I'm not sure about it whether the video is just as crappy, but I can't see it because I don't have a 4K monitor, and should I even be worried about it.

Here is an example of what I am talking about. This was pulled directly from the unedited video, and it looks like garbage.

This is a dropbox link to the full size image pull.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7gkadnwwxey7rfm/Last.jpg?dl=0

2017-4-11
Use props
OhOhDrone
lvl.3
Flight distance : 526076 ft
United States

I have the same issue with images grabbed from 4k. I am thinking it is just the way the camera is. If you don't zoom it will be ok. Pulling stills from videos is alternative because taking a picture is even worse.
2017-4-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
Flight distance : 1806362 ft
United States

The Mavic camera needs strong light to really shine -- check these examples:
https://www.flickr.com/groups/mavicpro/
2017-4-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

You're not going to get decent pixel-peeping out of a video frame grab, and remember, this is essentially a cellphone camera.
2017-4-11
Use props
BentonJoyce
lvl.4
Flight distance : 234318 ft
United States

typically if you want a still shot take a still the frame grab will never be as good as a picture. However, that being said taking a still frame from a video works great for things like thumbnails for your video I do that all the time. I'd recommend always just taking a picture if thats what you want
2017-4-11
Use props
Ex Machina
First Officer
United States

In general, a photo will be of higher quality, but in practice, a frame grab can often be "good enough" if you are working with good light.

The lower the light the more compression and/or noise reduction artifacts become apparent.
2017-4-11
Use props
Vimlossus
lvl.2
Flight distance : 113071 ft
United States

When I want a picture, I definitely take a photo as a DNG and process it like other photos from my DSLR. These come out great. I was just worried that the 4K footage would be viewed like that on a 4K screen and look terrible. I do not have a 4K screen to test it on, but played back on a regular monitor or television, it looks great.

Thanks for the comments guys!
2017-4-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules