Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro, Which is the best?
5953 25 2017-4-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

Both the Phantom 4 and Mavic Pro are producted by DJI, both the prices are around $1000, one is bigger, one is smaller... it seems that the Phantom 4 is better in camera, and the Mavic is more portable... Most of the best drones are made by DJI, looks like don't have other choice in other brands...I am going to buy one of them this week, does anyone has experience on both ?... tell me which one you prefer, any why? many thanks!

reference:
http://10trumps.com/best-drone-camera/
2017-4-13
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

You already answered your own question, really. One has a better camera and a few more features for obstacle avoidance. The other is more portable and potentially much quicker at getting up in the air. There is a bit of debate on which truly handles wind better. Which features are more important to you?
2017-4-13
Use props
SM-17
Second Officer
Flight distance : 179288 ft
Netherlands

I own both, the mavic wins hands down on portability, but thats it.

2017-4-13
Use props
fans9718bd87
lvl.2
Flight distance : 274052 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had the Mavic and hated the image quality. It's worse than a cell phone camera. You have to do a ton of work in post just to get it to look decent. YouTube examples look fine because it's YouTube, the compression it adds handicaps all footage evenly. My Phantom 4 PRO blows it out of the water, no matter how portable the Mavic is.

People always say the best camera is the one you have on you, but crap footage is still crap footage. Crap footage is almost equal to no footage.

If you're buying it to capture moments, then get the one that does it the best. If you can't afford the Phantom 4 Pro, then get the P4. I see them on the used market (brand new, sealed) for around $800, can't beat that.
2017-4-13
Use props
P4 Pro Birdy
lvl.1
Flight distance : 391237 ft
Australia

I like being able to use a large tablet on the phantom 4 which you cannot do with the design of the Mavic RC. The only reason I would get a Mavic is for portability. I think the camera is better on the Phantom but there is not a lot in it.
2017-4-13
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

I also have both plus the P4P+... I use each for a different scenario but for just the fun of it Mavic, hands down, all the time...
2017-4-13
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-4-13 09:28
You already answered your own question, really. One has a better camera and a few more features for obstacle avoidance. The other is more portable and potentially much quicker at getting up in the air. There is a bit of debate on which truly handles wind better. Which features are more important to you?

I don't know what a drone can bring me.... maybe the one more easy control will fit me...
2017-4-14
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

SM-17 Posted at 2017-4-13 12:12
I own both, the mavic wins hands down on portability, but thats it.

which one you think is more easy control?
2017-4-14
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

fans9718bd87 Posted at 2017-4-13 13:04
I had the Mavic and hated the image quality. It's worse than a cell phone camera. You have to do a ton of work in post just to get it to look decent. YouTube examples look fine because it's YouTube, the compression it adds handicaps all footage evenly. My Phantom 4 PRO blows it out of the water, no matter how portable the Mavic is.

People always say the best camera is the one you have on you, but crap footage is still crap footage. Crap footage is almost equal to no footage.

umm, I guess the  features of P4 pro and the P4  are almost the same?
2017-4-14
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

P4 Pro Birdy Posted at 2017-4-13 16:33
I like being able to use a large tablet on the phantom 4 which you cannot do with the design of the Mavic RC. The only reason I would get a Mavic is for portability. I think the camera is better on the Phantom but there is not a lot in it.

maybe the P4 has more features, because it is not a portable version...
2017-4-14
Use props
betonven
lvl.2
United States

In my opinion, between P4 and Mavic I'd go with Mavic. There are no serious advantages on the camera in P4, but there are obvious benefits in terms of portability with the Mavic.

P4 Pro  however is a different story, and that's how I ended up with that one. The camera difference is dramatic, and it fully compensates you for the decreased portability. Same goes for the new P4 Advanced.

In the end, it's up to you, if you are a photographer, just forget about both Mavic and P4 standard. If you are a hobbyist that travels a lot and just needs souvenirs for nice moments, Mavic is your thing.

P4 doesn't have any reason of existence anymore (IMHO).
2017-4-14
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

dronist Posted at 2017-4-13 20:37
I also have both plus the P4P+... I use each for a different scenario but for just the fun of it Mavic, hands down, all the time...

seems that the P4 pro is more easy to control
2017-4-14
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Piojessie Posted at 2017-4-14 06:45
seems that the P4 pro is more easy to control

Anyhow, if it easy too windy I DON'T fly.

This is is me.

So the ease of control actually goes to the MAVIC and NOT the P4P. The response on the MAVIC is a lot smoother and faster than the P4P but for better picture etc. the P4P is little better.
2017-4-14
Use props
SLVSRFR
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

dronist Posted at 2017-4-14 08:16

This is is me.

Picture is a LOT better. As I have said, my Mavic is not comparable to My P4P in terms of image quality. It has a hard time matching up to the P4 in image quaility.

The Mavic is portable and fun to fly, that's all it has going for it. If you want a flying camera, the Mavic is not it. You will be disappointed in that aspect if that is what you're looking for.
2017-4-14
Use props
SLVSRFR
lvl.2
  • >>>
United States

betonven Posted at 2017-4-14 06:41
In my opinion, between P4 and Mavic I'd go with Mavic. There are no serious advantages on the camera in P4, but there are obvious benefits in terms of portability with the Mavic.

P4 Pro  however is a different story, and that's how I ended up with that one. The camera difference is dramatic, and it fully compensates you for the decreased portability. Same goes for the new P4 Advanced.

This post right here has said it best
2017-4-14
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

Piojessie Posted at 2017-4-14 06:36
I don't know what a drone can bring me.... maybe the one more easy control will fit me...

They use the same tech and software. They are equally as easy to control. It's likely going to come down to portability VS either camera quality or obstacle avoidance features. I can tell you that the Mavic camera is great in itself even if not as great as the P4/P4P cam and I personally haven't found much use of the obstacle avoidance that I so badly wanted for so long. Basically, I already have a P4P and my next purchase will likely be a Mavic mainly because it's so portable and because for quick, short-range shoots I can use just my phone without a transmitter to fly it.
2017-4-14
Use props
thrash_273
lvl.3
Flight distance : 595561 ft
  • >>>
United States

Since i own a p3, when price goes down, im getting the mavic for my daily carry. Other than that, i would love to get my hands on p4, i heard they have better IQ, as a photographer- looking for that perfect shot. =D
2017-4-14
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Australia

dronist Posted at 2017-4-14 08:16

This is is me.

really? so you suggestion is,pick the Mavic, for beginner like me ?
2017-4-15
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Australia

SLVSRFR Posted at 2017-4-14 09:03
Picture is a LOT better. As I have said, my Mavic is not comparable to My P4P in terms of image quality. It has a hard time matching up to the P4 in image quaility.

The Mavic is portable and fun to fly, that's all it has going for it. If you want a flying camera, the Mavic is not it. You will be disappointed in that aspect if that is what you're looking for.

then I will take the Mavic for beginning...
2017-4-15
Use props
dronist
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Piojessie Posted at 2017-4-15 21:11
really? so you suggestion is,pick the Mavic, for beginner like me ?

Yes...and Welcome to the club!

First, read the manual, follow the instructions on IMU AND CALIBRATION to the letter. Fly in the ACADEMY first and try every scenario. Then spend few hour in an open area familiarizing yourself with all the buttons, fuctions, movements etc. Easiest way is to have the back of the AC facing you. Make sure the RTH height is set accordingly, I always set it to 70 meters. Alsways fly in LOS and stay away from, metal, cell towers, high power lines. I use UAV forecast app to check where the conditions and where am flying.

Always better be safe than sorry!
2017-4-16
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

thrash_273 Posted at 2017-4-14 11:33
Since i own a p3, when price goes down, im getting the mavic for my daily carry. Other than that, i would love to get my hands on p4, i heard they have better IQ, as a photographer- looking for that perfect shot. =D

agree, the p4 is better in capturing pic.... but I think I will take the Mavic first, as I am a beginner....looks like Mavic is easier to control...
2017-4-16
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

dronist Posted at 2017-4-16 07:58
Yes...and Welcome to the club!

First, read the manual, follow the instructions on IMU AND CALIBRATION to the letter. Fly in the ACADEMY first and try every scenario. Then spend few hour in an open area familiarizing yourself with all the buttons, fuctions, movements etc. Easiest way is to have the back of the AC facing you. Make sure the RTH height is set accordingly, I always set it to 70 meters. Alsways fly in LOS and stay away from, metal, cell towers, high power lines. I use UAV forecast app to check where the conditions and where am flying.

thank you for your suggestions!
2017-4-16
Use props
KenTbk
lvl.3
Flight distance : 327644 ft
Singapore

now the P4 advance is launch, may consider it as well.
2017-4-16
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1482434 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I love these discussions because it's a bit like the length fostering.Seriously though all the good & bad points are summarised, including a few we don't know about.
Piojessie nailed it portability vs. slightly better camera quality.
My preference is P4 but then I usually just throw the drone into the case, onto the back seat and away I go. Travelling overseas or on airlines probably would buy the Mavic.
By the way Piojessie don't be sucked in by 'easier to control' as they seem to have a mind of their own when you least expect it.
Keep us posted as to your decision.
2017-4-16
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

KenTbk Posted at 2017-4-16 22:26
now the P4 advance is launch, may consider it as well.

I will check it up surely! thakns!
2017-4-17
Use props
Piojessie
lvl.1

Switzerland

sky wombat Posted at 2017-4-16 23:00
I love these discussions because it's a bit like the length fostering.Seriously though all the good & bad points are summarised, including a few we don't know about.
Piojessie nailed it portability vs. slightly better camera quality.
My preference is P4 but then I usually just throw the drone into the case, onto the back seat and away I go. Travelling overseas or on airlines probably would buy the Mavic.

will take the Mavic this week!
2017-4-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules