Phantom vision plus v 3.0 sd card
2238 12 2015-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

the sd card which came with my phantom is a class 4, is this the best option for the stock camera or  would the class ten yield better results as far as quality?  Thank you

Phantom vision plus v 3.0
2015-3-2
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

Thanks for the reply, I understand that bigger is better, but with this camera will it actually yield better results. Thanks in advance
2015-3-2
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

Excellent comparison! Thank you so much. I want optimize everything for the best possible out come.  Since I've only owned my phantom for three weeks and it's early March  everything is covered in snow unfortunately, the hd video looks overexposed in some shots(I think from the overpowing white snow) will this get better in the warmer months?
2015-3-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

abram.corcoran, in answer to your original question, the class of the Micro SD card will make no difference to the quality of the photo or video.
I used the supplied Class 4 card for several months before changing to a larger storage one as after flying 3 batteries it was nearly full.
The Class of the card is the write speed, higher class = faster transfer speed.
Whatever speed it writes at the quality of the data is the same.

2015-3-2
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

So higher write speed = better quality video?
2015-3-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

NO - As I just said, Class and write speed makes NO difference to the quality.
The standard Class 4 card that comes with the Phantom will produce exactly the same photos and videos as a Class 10 card.
The Class 10 will write faster and transfer to PC faster, but that's all...
2015-3-2
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

Got it. Thank you. I was confused because I also recently obtained a cannon t5i and the book stated that some lower class sd cards would result in the movie not being recorded properly. Must be because it's a higher quality image going on to the card, I guess
2015-3-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

Maybe a Class 2 or 3 card might not cut it in the Canon, but the Class 4 is more than enough to handle HD Video and RAW photos in the Phantom.
2015-3-2
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

abram.corcoran@ Posted at 2015-3-3 01:13
Got it. Thank you. I was confused because I also recently obtained a cannon t5i and the book stated  ...

More data needed to be captured in a shorter period of time typically = more speed required unless there is a large enough buffer to store that data until it is written.
Max size supported for the Phantom is 32gb,
I am using the SanDisk Extreme Plus 32gb which is class 10 and have a couple of them that I can easily interchange with cameras etc. with no worry on their ability to keep up with any of the devices I currently own.
2015-3-2
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

Sweet, thanks a lot for the input, these forums are the best for a person new to aireal photography.
2015-3-2
Use props
abram.corcoran
lvl.1

United States

johnwarr@live.c Posted at 2015-3-3 01:19
Maybe a Class 2 or 3 card might not cut it in the Canon, but the Class 4 is more than enough to hand ...

Since you mentiond RAW format, what is the difference in quality from say JPEG to RAW images. Once again I'm a beginner so take it easy on me, lol thanks johnwarr
2015-3-2
Use props
johnwarr
First Officer
United Kingdom

When you fire the shutter, the image is recorded on your camera’s sensor, where the light is converted into an electrical signal that forms the image data. It’s then combined with the information needed to build the image and written to your memory card.

With a JPEG, however, before the image is written to the card, the original raw data is processed. How it’s processed depends on what camera settings you’ve chosen. The file is then converted to JPEG format and finally written to your memory card.

Your camera produces raw images, but it’s up to you whether you let it process these for you into a JPEG or stick with a raw file.
You can open the RAW file in Adobe Photoshop or Lightroom and have full control of the processing before saving the file.
Selecting Adobe RAW (DNG) makes the Phantom save both a RAW and JPEG copy of the photo to the memory card.

2015-3-2
Use props
ChristoHD
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21818 ft
United States

RAW = uncompressed, no image processing. Think of it as an electronic version of a old film negative.

JPEG as Johnwarr states, is processed by the cameras computer chip and then compressed to create an image. It is like when you get a print from negative back in the old days. There is quality and information loss, as it is now 1 generation from the original.

As technologies improve, the algorithms will get better and you can make better images later in time from RAW, since the RAW files contain all the original data that your camera sensor recorded.
2015-3-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules