Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

New blog post : http://houldsworth.wordpress.com ... nes-cool-or-creepy/

Interested in people's opinions on that.
2014-10-10
Use props
whitard
lvl.1

United States

I find that women say it's creepy, men say it is cool....
2014-12-3
Use props
talk2t_c
lvl.4

France

I've had a mixed response to mine.  Lots of people want an aerial photo/video of their property.  One or two have mentioned about invasion of privacy - I wouldn't invade theirs anyway() you should see them.  I do scenery, sports action, ancient (Roman) sites (been asked to do more), property, nature and people at social gatherings.  One or two people have asked about building and land surveys.  People are drawn to me because of interest and I've not had any hostility yet.  When I am around some villages - the mayor has often asked if I could do aerial shots for him to use in the village flyers.  I'm sure most see it as I do - a very useful extension of photography.  I usually carry cards with my details on and envelopes large enough to send photos/videos on disc back to them if they can't get a good internet connection.
2014-12-3
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

The word drone has negative connotations. Phantom isn't a drone, more accurately it's a quadcopter. If we avoid the word drone ,people might be more receptive.
2014-12-3
Use props
kenargo
Second Officer
  • >>>
United States

tonyphantom147@ Posted at 2014-12-4 05:07
The word drone has negative connotations. Phantom isn't a drone, more accurately it's a quadcopter.  ...

Technically, a Phantom is a drone but it depends on how you are using it.  For instance, if you are flying using Ground Stations, it is certain performing as a drone.  Some definitions of drone would cover flying FPV, when flying beyond line-of-sight.  While technically it can be called a drone I also suggest calling a quad copter; or even quad, or copter for short.  Drones leave a bad taste in peoples thoughts.
2014-12-3
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I wonder if DJI have been very careful as they do not mention the word drone in any of their literature.
2014-12-3
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

I agree, drone sounds bad.  Sounds military attack vehicle.

My experience has been people either love it, or absolutely hate it.  Very little middle ground.  One guy said to me "I saw your surveillance drone."  I explain to those people doing surveillance with a gopro is like doing surveillance with binoculars held backwards!

Oh, if only the media were about information, rather than hype...  I can dream, right?  lol  
2014-12-3
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

""I saw your surveillance drone.""

Please, really?

My neighbors love mine.  They think its cool
2014-12-3
Use props
jamesnns
lvl.3

United States

This is a drone.

This is a Quadrocopter

drone.jpeg
quad.jpg
2014-12-3
Use props
away-point
lvl.3

United States

Exactly!  
2014-12-3
Use props
FromAdronesEye
lvl.4
Flight distance : 93146 ft
Dominican Republic

A drone is also called a Male Bee, and thats one of the reason the called them drones to this quadcopter is because of the sound the make
2014-12-3
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

I like bees, cos i like honey, but dont like tactical sidewinder missile launch platforms and spying. So my phanyom is a bee friendly quadcopter.
2014-12-4
Use props
houldsworth1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616598 ft
  • >>>
United States

Good luck explaining the difference between a drone and a quadcopter to Joe Public.

The English language is constantly changing and if enough people call a quadcopter a drone, then it is a drone.  
2014-12-4
Use props
rubenmail
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1808064 ft
  • >>>
Norway

I live now in a small place in Northern Norway (Moved here from Vegas after getting cancer).
As its a small community with like less then 1000 people living here and im training and flying my own and drones I build/setup for others I wanted to be up front before people started talking.

So I fast put together some non commercial videos I had and posted it on a local FB group. Here I explained that the camera is a wide lens one and to see faces and for those who heard that you can look into homes I had to be a few meters from them. I got amazing positive reaction. Both they loved to see their community from above and also it explained + showing what I actually see.

This is what I put together.

2014-12-4
Use props
tonyphantom147
lvl.3

United Kingdom

houldsworth1@gm Posted at 2014-12-5 00:17
Good luck explaining the difference between a drone and a quadcopter to Joe Public.

The English lan ...

Great, joe public need to know bees are good.
2014-12-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules