Foam Inside Case ripped off with Engines Studs & Securing Gimbal Mounts
1265 6 2015-3-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
GB44
Second Officer
Flight distance : 343848 ft
United Kingdom

Anyone noticed how the engines ripp off small peices of foam that can get into the engines.

Here is my solution.  Sorry for not posting earlier, but seen in another post others were experiencing this so hope this easy fix helps.

Simply bought some plastic caps from B&Q in the UK similar to Bunnings in Australia and cut to apprimately 15mm in height.  Just tape into place with electricians tape when placing in case, this stops the studs riping off bits of foam.  I have used whit tape simply as it gives a good visual that the studs are covered and I havent forgot to put them on when closing the case. Cheap and inexpensive solution.

I also use fishing braid to secure the gimbal  see images.

http://s1123.photobucket.com/user/GB114/slideshow/Engine%20Caps

Hope this is of help to others.
2015-3-8
Use props
uomemoney
lvl.2

United States

Good idea! Thanks
2015-3-8
Use props
markjacobs.talk
lvl.4
Flight distance : 120784 ft
United Kingdom

Ummmm..... Cool idea except that's not where the risk of contamination lies.
It's the cooling slots around the outside of the motor that is the vulnerable area where debris can get in.
You cap and tape doesn't fully cover these slots (although it helps)
2015-3-8
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

markjacobs.talk Posted at 2015-3-9 00:37
Ummmm..... Cool idea except that's not where the risk of contamination lies.
It's the cooling slots  ...

Yes I understand.  

The idea though is the caps prevent the studs from actually ripping the foam in the first place.  If the foam doesnt rip and small peices dont come off then nothing is going to get into the engines.  If the engines are left unprotected, they have a tendancy to cut into the foam resulting in the small bits of foam which can get into the engines.  The caps simply illiminate the studs coming into contact with the foam.
2015-3-8
Use props
will
lvl.2

United States

Ok, quick!  Someone 3D print a full tapered cover so that the case stops tearing while also protecting the motor holes.

Idea: get 4 small funnels, cut them to size with those caps GB44 bought.  Tape them down.
2015-3-8
Use props
GB44
Second Officer
United Kingdom

3D print would be good if it was a full cover over the whole engine., which would cover the motor holes.

The caps are just a very quick and cheap fix and easy to obtain.  I just cut them to size with a sharp knife and sanded edges smooth.  They are also a little flexible so will give a little unlike a plastic 3D print which I presume would be very hard plastic and rigid.

All Inspire owners should really be aware of this problem cutting into the foam.  If you get foam in the motor could potentially cause serious motor failure.
2015-3-8
Use props
alan brooks
lvl.4

United Kingdom

try neil watts at areoeyd3d

in uk
2016-5-2
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules