RTH saves the day!
1122 9 2017-5-20
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Capo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 178196 ft
Canada

I lost connection and sight of my P4P in a wooded area. I waited for 10 minutes and it didn't return. I got concerned and started walking toward where it was on find my drone. I hit the RTH button but no connection to the drone showed. After a bit the beeping stopped and controller shut off. I started it back up and the locationed had changed. I left the woods and realized it was toward my home point. Went home and sure enough it was there! Phew!

I checked the logs and it showed an 11 minute gap between signal loss and RTH. After some investigation I realized RTH was set to hover.... doh. Was still set from flying low through a path on a previous day. I won't forget to check that setting in the future.
2017-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Good job alls well so, we learn a lot more from our mistakes, good luck..
2017-5-20
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Glad you found it.  good preflight checklist with RTH settings would help
2017-5-20
Use props
FlyingSmasher
lvl.2
United States

Very lucky save.
2017-5-20
Use props
GreenHornet55
lvl.2
Flight distance : 213222 ft
United States

So glad that worked out, I think we all learn about the "Attention to Detail" rule and the checklist we all should do.
2017-5-20
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Canada

You guys are right. Being diligent with checklists would have prevented the panic I experienced today. I told my story so that others may learn from this too. Kudos to DJI too. First time I've required RTH and it worked well.
2017-5-20
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Capo Posted at 2017-5-20 17:56
You guys are right. Being diligent with checklists would have prevented the panic I experienced today. I told my story so that others may learn from this too. Kudos to DJI too. First time I've required RTH and it worked well.

Here's a link to my flight list, it's for commercial but most of it applies.

https://forum.dji.com/forum.php? ... &fromuid=260008
2017-5-21
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Canada

Thanks Hallmark. I would add the Hover/RTH/Land setting to that list also. Luckily I did check the RTH height setting.
2017-5-21
Use props
Ulysse
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1389931 ft
  • >>>
Belgium

As a lot of people put the battery and takeoff without verifying important parameters, DJI should add a checkmark to important settings before the quad being able to takeoff : RTH settings, sensors value, battery, ... Not checked by the user : no takeoff possible.
2017-5-21
Use props
Capo
lvl.2
Canada

One thing I'm curious about is if the RTH command would have been picked up from the home location as it didn't appear that I had any connectivity to the P4P at all. I initiated it once I walked a couple hundred meters closer to it's last  known location.
2017-5-21
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules