Compass Calibration
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fish113
lvl.1
Australia

I have had my p3p for 18 months and have enjoyed every flight with it. I have been ill recently but decided to fly it again after a couple of months. I performed my usual calibration dance but surprisingly each compass calibration failed due to too much magnetic interference present.I tried 4 spots that I regularly fly with the same result. No phone no key fob etc present. I googled te issue but no definative answer. I sat and thought about what had changed since my last flight. I remembred I was now wearing a fitbit whch coneects to my phone through wifi. I tried removing it and calibrating the compass again, success. I never thought a watch would create a magnetic field sufficient to cause the failure. When all else fails remove everyhting (within reason)lol ant try again.
2017-5-21
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

You didn't need to do any compass calibration and will fly safer if you don't go unnecessarily recalibrating your compass.
Your compass doesn't lose its calibration.
2017-5-21
Use props
fanse174e582
New

Italy

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-21 23:30
You didn't need to do any compass calibration and will fly safer if you don't go unnecessarily recalibrating your compass.
Your compass doesn't lose its calibration.

Hi, I now own a phanton 2 vision v3. I would like to have a CERTIFICATE: Do I have to calibrate each time I change takeoff area? Or just wait for the signal to see GPS on litchi and go quietly? Thank you
2017-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fanse174e582 Posted at 2017-5-22 02:19
Hi, I now own a phanton 2 vision v3. I would like to have a CERTIFICATE: Do I have to calibrate each time I change takeoff area? Or just wait for the signal to see GPS on litchi and go quietly? Thank you

You get a good compass calibration in a magnetically clean area and stick with it.
2017-5-22
Use props
SHRED
lvl.2
Flight distance : 144278 ft
United States

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-22 03:59
You get a good compass calibration in a magnetically clean area and stick with it.

Will the DJI GO app indicate a bad compass location every time?
In other words if I calibrate with no warnings am I successful?
2017-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

SHRED Posted at 2017-5-22 06:56
Will the DJI GO app indicate a bad compass location every time?
In other words if I calibrate with no warnings am I successful?

Mostly but not necessarily ... it is possible to sometimes "successfully" calibrate in a bad area and give yourself potentially big problems to deal with.

You will be a lot safer to just get a good compass calibration and leave it alone after that.
2017-5-22
Use props
fanse174e582
New

Italy

Labroides Posted at 2017-5-22 06:59
Mostly but not necessarily ... it is possible to sometimes "successfully" calibrate in a bad area and give yourself potentially big problems to deal with.

You will be a lot safer to just get a good compass calibration and leave it alone after that.

If you throw the command back home and see the drone move away I can resume control? If you can how to do it?
2017-5-22
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fanse174e582 Posted at 2017-5-22 11:24
If you throw the command back home and see the drone move away I can resume control? If you can how to do it?

Sorry ... your question is unclear.
Can you ask that question in some other words?
2017-5-22
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

fanse174e582 Posted at 2017-5-22 11:24

You can cancel the RTH command either via the Go app or the RC. If for some reason either command isn't working, you can switch the unit to ATTI to regain control.
2017-5-22
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Be sure you are at least the minimum distance away from the home point before giving the command, or it will come down right where it is.
2017-5-23
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules