wierd battery behavior
1333 20 2017-5-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans3d644861
lvl.1
Flight distance : 23848 ft
United Kingdom

ive got 2 batteries one that came with the ph3 and one I bought.

the one I bought works fine.

the one that came with the drone and has slightly more flight time now does something strange.

when plugged into that charger I don't get the leds cycling as it charges up, I have to press the power button on it to get them going.

when its stopped charging and I fly I find the battery charge drops rapidly from 100% to about 67% and then holds that fro some time while flying.

any ideas? could it be a failed firmware update on the battery?
2017-5-30
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

That is strange.  I would study the mAh in the log while that's happening.  
2017-5-30
Use props
Dioden
lvl.4
Sweden

Check flight logs, sen them up to Airdata UAV, then you can discover what's going on with the power
2017-5-30
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

Not the firmware, could be a dodgy cell.  You should be able to monitor the battery from the Go App while it is in flight, it will tell you if there is a problem, a weak cell, or a critical imbalance warning of an impending failure and shutdown.   Don't fly too far or high, it could shut down at any time.  You could try deep-discharging it (to 3%) and recharging it a couple of times and see if anything changes.  The app also reports how many times it has been charged.  Has it been used a great deal?
2017-5-31
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

yes, logs in go app, u can upload them to healthy drones, or to phantom help, see what the logs say.. also GO app should be able to tell u things about battery life. Also, if u ever upgraded firmware, upgrade BOTH batteries too...  How old is that battery? It may be worth going to the place u got it at, or pinging DJI support.
2017-5-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Just to clarify, how long have you had that battery? Do you see any large cell deviations in the Go app? Did you get this from a dealer or DJI directly?
2017-5-31
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-31 15:58
Just to clarify, how long have you had that battery? Do you see any large cell deviations in the Go app? Did you get this from a dealer or DJI directly?

thanks guys.

the battery came with the p3 from a dealer. it looks legit.

its got very little time on it maybe 12 charges. though its about a year old now.
2017-6-1
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

re the logs just plugged my phone in at work and it doesn't have that days log. any ideas?
2017-6-2
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ok sorted. uploaded to healthy drones.

https://app.airdata.com/main?fli ... d=POWERBattery_Info
2017-6-2
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

hmm seems battery no2 from the log. bought that from amazon sold by amazon.
2017-6-2
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

after warm up "Takeoff Battery 66%"

"Landing Battery 56%"

"Flight Air Time 07m 25s"

something aint right.
2017-6-2
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

ok both batteries seem to be working ok at home, as in when I connect the charger starts cycling. both are at about 1 led charge level at the mo. I'm wondering if its worth running them down and doing a full charge?

the only other thing I can think is on the day Battery 2 acted up I charged it using a modified sine wave inverter and the dji charger. can mod sine wave inverters make the charger act up?
2017-6-3
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

fans3d644861 Posted at 2017-6-3 07:50
ok both batteries seem to be working ok at home, as in when I connect the charger starts cycling. both are at about 1 led charge level at the mo. I'm wondering if its worth running them down and doing a full charge?

the only other thing I can think is on the day Battery 2 acted up I charged it using a modified sine wave inverter and the dji charger. can mod sine wave inverters make the charger act up?

Have you pushed ON button for 5 seconds to see the state of the battery?
My oldest battery, when I do the 5 second test, shows 3 of 4 lights on, meaning this battery has about 80% life left, this is after only around 50 charges.
So, I did the deep discharge thing to 8%, little tough keeping my bird in the air after 10% as she continually tried to land!
Now, when I check battery status , shows battery life all 4 lights. I will fly today & look up my voltage in app.
2017-6-3
Use props
endotherm
First Officer
Flight distance : 503241 ft

Australia

fans3d644861 Posted at 2017-6-3 07:50

Yes, try running them down completely and recharging them fully a couple of times, this may bring it back to its senses.

Charging it via an inverter shouldn't be a problem, just a lot of inefficiency.  Stepping 12V up to 240V, then the "charger" steps it back down to low voltage DC again, all smoothed out and regulated.  It is just a power supply in reality, all the charging "smarts" is done by the battery itself.  The purity of the sine wave mainly affects things like motors and other devices that rely on the alternating current being very smooth.
2017-6-4
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

endotherm Posted at 2017-6-4 01:51
Yes, try running them down completely and recharging them fully a couple of times, this may bring it back to its senses.

Charging it via an inverter shouldn't be a problem, just a lot of inefficiency.  Stepping 12V up to 240V, then the "charger" steps it back down to low voltage DC again, all smoothed out and regulated.  It is just a power supply in reality, all the charging "smarts" is done by the battery itself.  The purity of the sine wave mainly affects things like motors and other devices that rely on the alternating current being very smooth.

ill try that. as you can see from the log the battery that had stopped charging only had about 2500mah. maybe the inverter tripped out part way through charging, though it is rated to 300w and the charger is only 100w.

I just wondered if it could be some weird harmonic's on the AC making the smart charger act up.
2017-6-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Sounds like a bad cell.  That's pretty normal for a cell that has gone bad - no longer serviceable.l
2017-6-5
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-6-5 19:37
Sounds like a bad cell.  That's pretty normal for a cell that has gone bad - no longer serviceable.l

how do I get it replaced? one battery has 6 cycles on it the other 10.
2017-6-6
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

fans3d644861 Posted at 2017-6-6 06:19
how do I get it replaced? one battery has 6 cycles on it the other 10.

If they are that new, check into the warranty and start a support/repair ticket.  I may be remembering wrong, but I think battery warranty is 6 months.  One of the mods can help if they are monitoring.  Otherwise, you'll need to replace.  Batteries are finicky and do require a certain care to keep them going.  Their best friend is constant (and proper) usage.
2017-6-6
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

endotherm Posted at 2017-5-31 09:32
Not the firmware, could be a dodgy cell.  You should be able to monitor the battery from the Go App while it is in flight, it will tell you if there is a problem, a weak cell, or a critical imbalance warning of an impending failure and shutdown.   Don't fly too far or high, it could shut down at any time.  You could try deep-discharging it (to 3%) and recharging it a couple of times and see if anything changes.  The app also reports how many times it has been charged.  Has it been used a great deal?

I tried the deep discharge on one of my older batteries and it really helped balance out the cells.I was a little nervous to take mine down to 3% but I did take it down to 8% and it worked!
2017-6-6
Use props
fans3d644861
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Jeffyk Posted at 2017-6-6 18:59
I tried the deep discharge on one of my older batteries and it really helped balance out the cells.I was a little nervous to take mine down to 3% but I did take it down to 8% and it worked!

think ill run both batteries down in the drone on the ground with just the drone powered not actually flying.
2017-6-8
Use props
DTK
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1943159 ft
Australia

If it does not work then you might have to pop open the top and charge the one cell to balance up with the others. In the meantime do not fly with the battery.
2017-6-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules