Suitable macro lens?
1997 11 2017-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans1260b76a
lvl.1
Flight distance : 6867 ft
Netherlands

Anyone know anything about atatching a macro lens/close-up filter to the Phantom 4 Pro lens? I can't seem to find any such filters for sale anywhere.
2017-5-31
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

That's interesting. Are you using your aerial camera to shoot things that close up? I can't see this as a possibility unless you intend to hold it in your hands, as the props would likely keep the quad too far from your subject for macro lens shots if the quad was in flight.
2017-5-31
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

I would think that weight might be a problem for the gimbal, they tend to be heavy...

But in general a close up lens just needs to be placed in front of the main lens, no special requirements for distance or type.  They work well on the front of action cameras.
2017-5-31
Use props
fans52cfa4bf
lvl.4
United Kingdom

Shoot in 4K and use software with pan&zoom. I use Wondershare.
2017-5-31
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans52cfa4bf Posted at 2017-5-31 08:00
Shoot in 4K and use software with pan&zoom. I use Wondershare.

That has a different effect.  The main reason for using a macro/close-up filter is to change the lens focus to a shorter range.
2017-5-31
Use props
fans1260b76a
lvl.1
Netherlands

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-5-31 06:47
That's interesting. Are you using your aerial camera to shoot things that close up? I can't see this as a possibility unless you intend to hold it in your hands, as the props would likely keep the quad too far from your subject for macro lens shots if the quad was in flight.

Yeah I figured why still carry a DSLR around when I have a very very capable drone (or flying camera as the manual loves to call it).
So basically I'd love to be able to take it into the field and for example place it over an ant track to watch the ants in 4K at point blank range
2017-6-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans1260b76a Posted at 2017-6-4 04:24
Yeah I figured why still carry a DSLR around when I have a very very capable drone (or flying camera as the manual loves to call it).
So basically I'd love to be able to take it into the field and for example place it over an ant track to watch the ants in 4K at point blank range

You would struggle with ants, the Phantom lens is too wide angle without a very strong close focus lens which would be too heavy for the gimbal.  Plus you would need to be so close that your Phantom would end up full of bugs!

But good results can be had for larger animals, here is some from a Gitup Git2 action camera with a +7 close focus lens:

With the phantom able to send live video from a good distance away and a battery that will last ages while not flying it is a great idea if you can find a suitable filter, let us know how you get on please...

2017-6-4
Use props
theGrindLab.com
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1375846 ft
  • >>>
United States

fans1260b76a Posted at 2017-6-4 04:24

I can understand that. I keep all my gear (quad, DSLR, and quite capable mobile phone camera) with me almost all the time, so I am prepared, but I have found the convenience of the quad (because it can do aerial AND non-aerial shots) and the cell phone cam are a great advantage over having to ensure everything (lenses, filters, tripods, 3-axis brushless gimbal) is in order for my DSLR. Keep in mind, I still get my best shots hands down with the DSLR, but if I could only have one camera with me at any given time, the quad can get most jobs done (not true macro shots though), especially now with adjustable aperture.
2017-6-4
Use props
fans1260b76a
lvl.1
Netherlands

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-4 04:42
You would struggle with ants, the Phantom lens is too wide angle without a very strong close focus lens which would be too heavy for the gimbal.  Plus you would need to be so close that your Phantom would end up full of bugs!

But good results can be had for larger animals, here is some from a Gitup Git2 action camera with a +7 close focus lens:

That's fantastic! Just the sort of footage I'm looking to make. I see what you mean about the ants though, that's perhaps not truly practical although judging by the focus distance you achieved on that action camera it might work well enough. The thing is that I can't seem to find a macro filter for the p4p. I did read somewhere about a macro filter for the p3 though but that's not compatible as far as I can tell.
2017-6-4
Use props
fans1260b76a
lvl.1
Netherlands

theGrindLab.com Posted at 2017-6-4 06:29
I can understand that. I keep all my gear (quad, DSLR, and quite capable mobile phone camera) with me almost all the time, so I am prepared, but I have found the convenience of the quad (because it can do aerial AND non-aerial shots) and the cell phone cam are a great advantage over having to ensure everything (lenses, filters, tripods, 3-axis brushless gimbal) is in order for my DSLR. Keep in mind, I still get my best shots hands down with the DSLR, but if I could only have one camera with me at any given time, the quad can get most jobs done (not true macro shots though), especially now with adjustable aperture.

My funds didn't go far enough to upgrade my DSLR and get a p4p as well so right now the drone "outshoots" my DSLR in most occasions except when it comes to narrow shots and anything closer than the minimum focus distance (+- 1 meter I guess?). I do still often take my DSLR along as well but I feel like a pack mule when I'm going out with my full gear
2017-6-4
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
United Kingdom

fans1260b76a Posted at 2017-6-4 12:46
That's fantastic! Just the sort of footage I'm looking to make. I see what you mean about the ants though, that's perhaps not truly practical although judging by the focus distance you achieved on that action camera it might work well enough. The thing is that I can't seem to find a macro filter for the p4p. I did read somewhere about a macro filter for the p3 though but that's not compatible as far as I can tell.

You are not going to want to fly with it so it doesn't need to be firmly screwed on, maybe use a filter adaptor to fit a larger filter, or just slide it over the lens barrel.  It doesn't need to be at a set distance for the focus to work.

Still doubtful that the gimbal will cope though.
2017-6-4
Use props
fans1260b76a
lvl.1
Netherlands

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-4 14:14
You are not going to want to fly with it so it doesn't need to be firmly screwed on, maybe use a filter adaptor to fit a larger filter, or just slide it over the lens barrel.  It doesn't need to be at a set distance for the focus to work.

Still doubtful that the gimbal will cope though.

Valid points indeed. I just need to find a filter that will (sort of) fit the p4p cam though. There are regular p4p filters though so I would assume that the gimbal will cope to some extent if I swap out the stock filter first.
2017-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules