Crashes after dji firmware update forced landings
1464 15 2017-5-31
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Gregrog
New
Flight distance : 1152966 ft
United States

Ok so I updated to the latest firmware about 4 days ago. I have crashed 3 times since the update It seems like the update has made the low battery landing unstoppable. I try and cancel the landing but it just wants to force the drone down. I fight with the controls to keep it from landing and the drone fights back and has caused crashes into my car tire for one thing, first time I broke a blade and a 30 foot fall after hitting a tree breaking yet another blade. Are they trying to sell more blades? I would fly around in my yard after I get the 25% low battery warning till the 10% and sometimes would even discharge down to 1 or 0%  but can't anymore. It landed down the street from me the other day all the while I was trying to stop it with the control stick and on screen. It dropped to 10% but I knew I had plenty of battery life to get it home.
Anyone else having landing problems with new update?

2017-5-31
Use props
Danielfonseca64
lvl.1
Flight distance : 18114 ft
United States

Wow, thank you for posting this. The exact same thing happened to me after updating on friday (may 26). Mine was at 18% when it depleted to 0% and dropped into a lake.. Completely ruined
2017-5-31
Use props
djordan2
Second Officer
Flight distance : 79291 ft
United States

I don't have an answer for what happened to you guys.  But I know that when I get the 30% battery low warning, I head for home and get my butt on the ground.  I never ever let it stay in the air with a Critical Battery warning.
2017-5-31
Use props
SomeoneElsesDro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 419669 ft
United Kingdom

I think I read somewhere that the critical battery level has changed, essentially shaving 10% off the battery. Did I make that up?
2017-5-31
Use props
Danielfonseca64
lvl.1
United States

I also want to add, I have a case open with DJI so we will find out what the issue is once the analysis is done, in 10-15 business days.
2017-5-31
Use props
Phantomski
Second Officer
Flight distance : 14869882 ft
United States

well, can u guys post the logs? phantomhelp ?
It may help to figure out what happened and why.
I assume you both contacted DJI support. Perhaps it will be handled under warranty...
Especially if it could be proven it just did it due to firmware... I often fly to 26-22%, but below 30% I do become cautious....
2017-5-31
Use props
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

Updated my phantom 4
Have had loads of connection issues
Finally managed to sort that out.
And took it for a quick fly
Took off fine...ascended fine....decided to try out the return to home & it shot off high into the sky & attempted to dissapear in the opposite direction
As I'm still a inexperienced flier I panicked & somehow managed to land it myself
Still have the drone in beginner mode
& confidence is at a very low point
This was purchased in January 2017 at £1200 & flown literally 5 times & now searching eBay to see what the best price I can sell this for!
Not sure I can trust flying again
After another attempt today, took off quick fly ok landing then app crashed!!
Do I risk crashing an almost new drone & losing everything or sell it now & get as much as I can for it?
2017-5-31
Use props
Mobilcams
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2907674 ft
United States

You guys need to upload some flight logs to get any help.. At 10 percent they all start to do a mandatory landing.. You can push the joystick up to counter this and guide it to a more suitable landing site, but at 0 percent it will shut down completely..
2017-5-31
Use props
fans0bc416f9
lvl.3
Flight distance : 8163 ft
United Kingdom

Like iv said I'm a complete beginner & still not fully aware how to set things up properly
But I'm sure I have in my settings to start warning me when battery is at 40%
Still havnt managed to get it as low as that
& not sure after this week I ever will!
I wonder if this is the update to blame
Or the app
2017-5-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

To clarify, do you have Smart RTH enabled? If so, the unit will calculate and activate the RTH and auto landing procedure based on how far you are from the home point. Flying agressively or in strong wind will hasten the effect of this feature. Could you also clarify your home point distance and flying conditions during those incidents?
2017-5-31
Use props
Gregrog
New
United States

Mobilcams Posted at 2017-5-31 11:47
You guys need to upload some flight logs to get any help.. At 10 percent they all start to do a mandatory landing.. You can push the joystick up to counter this and guide it to a more suitable landing site, but at 0 percent it will shut down completely..

Like I said I have flown it down to 1 and 0% before in my yard about 5 feet off the ground and never has it done this until the update.  It just has it mind made up "am landing weather you like it or not buddy". I have crashed 3 times before this all because of wind blowing and me not pulling back in time, but those were when I first started flying and all at low speed and only about 5 feet off the ground.  I read the other guy's comment that his went from 18% to 0% maybe thats what happened to me and I just didn't notice. But when the 10% comes on this thing is like am landing right now try and stop me. I have my logs on my tablet how can I upload them on here if I need to, I don't look at them too often  haveing too much fun flying unless am crashing. :-)
2017-5-31
Use props
DJI-Jamie
DJI team
Flight distance : 112405 ft
United States

Danielfonseca64 Posted at 2017-5-31 10:54
Wow, thank you for posting this. The exact same thing happened to me after updating on friday (may 26). Mine was at 18% when it depleted to 0% and dropped into a lake.. Completely ruined

Could you clarify, whether any battery warnings occurred prior to this? Was the unit auto landing at 18%, or were you flying at 18% and then it shut off mid flight when it reached 0%. Was the decrease in percentage gradual, or was it a sudden drop from 18-0%?
2017-5-31
Use props
Gregrog
New
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-31 12:15
To clarify, do you have Smart RTH enabled? If so, the unit will calculate and activate the RTH and auto landing procedure based on how far you are from the home point. Flying agressively or in strong wind will hasten the effect of this feature. Could you also clarify your home point distance and flying conditions during those incidents?

Yes I had smart RTH enabled. wasn't windy, and home point is set to remote and copter was only 25
-30 feet away. I fly it back and forth down my driveway to get a better low speed and low height  flying when the battery is low. The return home was working because I lost signal about 4 times before this happened and I was able to cancel it when I got signal again no problem. I pushed up on the throttle to keep it from landing and it just kept fighting me trying to land. I flew up over a tree and down it crashed tumbling thru the limbs the battery even popped out after hitting the ground. It didn't record the crash somehow I guess when the battery popped out  it didn't save it to the sd card. Would have liked to seen it.
2017-5-31
Use props
Danielfonseca64
lvl.1
United States

@Jamie, It was a sudden drop from 18 to 0.. It was in the auto land feature, but I was holding up on the left stick to delay it until I got on land, but then it suddenly dropped to 0 instantly. I can give you the case number if you would like to review the flight record that I have synced.
2017-5-31
Use props
Danielfonseca64
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Jamie Posted at 2017-5-31 12:21
Could you clarify, whether any battery warnings occurred prior to this? Was the unit auto landing at 18%, or were you flying at 18% and then it shut off mid flight when it reached 0%. Was the decrease in percentage gradual, or was it a sudden drop from 18-0%?

It was a sudden drop from 18 to 0.. It was in the auto land feature, but I was holding up on the left stick to delay it until I got on land, but then it suddenly dropped to 0 instantly. I can give you the case number if you would like to review the flight record that I have synced.
2017-5-31
Use props
Jeffyk
lvl.2
Flight distance : 4252 ft
  • >>>
United States

I had a similar issue where mine auto landed at 50% power and sunk into the ocean.
2017-5-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules