2827 31 2017-6-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Flight distance : 6627 ft
United Kingdom

Or should that read I gifted it to him.

If anyone wants one it should be one at the bottom of the marina in Yacht Port Cartagena.

Expected it to land when I pulled the left stick down, but of course I'd just turned off the sensors so instead it bonced off the deck, then hit the boom and went overboard. Bit of a stupid error, just wasn't giving it enough attention. Hadn't flown it in months and was in a hurry, probably should have gone out and re-familarised myself with it.

Anyway, it is what is. How's the Spark?

2017-6-2
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

Why did you turn the sensors off? Because you were flying over water?
2017-6-2
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

Because it won't come within a couple meters of an obstacle with the sensors on. I should have just turned the obstacle avoidance off, but was in a rush and hadn't flown it recently or at least been into that part of the menu.

Shame as today is the regatta and there is already a Phantom 4 pro up in the area filming.

Just a bit of brain fade really, so no-one to blame but myself.

I'm not sure if I will buy another though, I was never 100% pleased with the video quality. Now the P4 Pro on the other hand looks superb, just too big for me.
2017-6-3
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
United Kingdom

A diver found the Mavic earlier today. This is why boats have zinc anodes.

2017-6-12
Use props
Nikon 1
lvl.4
United States

Wow - That is tough to see.  Any chance you had DJI Care?
2017-6-12
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

How long had it been down?  That seems like VERY fast corrosion.
2017-6-12
Use props
UCBarkeeper
lvl.3
Flight distance : 616982 ft
Switzerland

oh wow... that poor little bird...
2017-6-12
Use props
FIRECHILD93
New
United States

Does the gimble work might be in the market for one if DJI wants to keep messing around.
2017-6-12
Use props
floco
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1060853 ft
France

Hey,
Thanks for posting.
What's with turning sensors OFF and landing? It won't work? You need to turn sensors ON to land? I did not know that
2017-6-12
Use props
rydfree41
lvl.4
Flight distance : 153268 ft
United States

Are you sure that is yours ? LOL
It does look like it's been down for awhile .
2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-6-3 01:22
Because it won't come within a couple meters of an obstacle with the sensors on. I should have just turned the obstacle avoidance off, but was in a rush and hadn't flown it recently or at least been into that part of the menu.

Shame as today is the regatta and there is already a Phantom 4 pro up in the area filming.

Sure it will.  You just have to force it.  I hand catch the thing almost every time as there is usually a drone terrorizing dog around (namely mine).  Hover above the hand and descend full left stick, catch it, it will likely go to full power for a brief sec trying to pull away, but then shut off.
2017-6-12
Use props
Sime
lvl.3
Flight distance : 3055210 ft
Australia

That's kinda funny. Kinda…………
2017-6-12
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
Flight distance : 675958 ft
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-12 12:40
Sure it will.  You just have to force it.  I hand catch the thing almost every time as there is usually a drone terrorizing dog around (namely mine).  Hover above the hand and descend full left stick, catch it, it will likely go to full power for a brief sec trying to pull away, but then shut off.

Couldn't agree more... once I saw the post for hand-catching, it was true; once you go you don't go back... If you're crafty, you can catch it from under the front and avoid the downward sensors altogether.  I hate it when it fights me!
2017-6-12
Use props
Lucas775
First Officer
Flight distance : 50642090 ft
  • >>>
United States

maybe someone else's drone and yours is still down there.  How long has it been down there?
2017-6-12
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-6-12 17:52
Couldn't agree more... once I saw the post for hand-catching, it was true; once you go you don't go back... If you're crafty, you can catch it from under the front and avoid the downward sensors altogether.  I hate it when it fights me!

Sounds risky...  And this thing bites if you do it wrong.  I have been bit.  I'll let it fight me.  Safer!  
2017-6-13
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-13 07:11
Sounds risky...  And this thing bites if you do it wrong.  I have been bit.  I'll let it fight me.  Safer!

So, taking this one step further, I practiced a LOT last night in my local park.  Now, when I hand catch it, I bring it down to my hand, and when it tries to lift off, I just let it go up (I don't restrict it) and it raises about a foot before it comes right back down into my hand and shuts off.  Nice and smooth... Nobody bites nobody in this relationship.  I just hope I don't drop it!  
2017-6-13
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-6-13 11:55
So, taking this one step further, I practiced a LOT last night in my local park.  Now, when I hand catch it, I bring it down to my hand, and when it tries to lift off, I just let it go up (I don't restrict it) and it raises about a foot before it comes right back down into my hand and shuts off.  Nice and smooth... Nobody bites nobody in this relationship.  I just hope I don't drop it!

Sounds like no way to do it without some sort of risk.  I think I will continue to risk being bit.  I will heal, and if I drop this thing, it could be finished.

Note I have only been bit once!  I am not a slow learner!{:4_177:}
2017-6-13
Use props
Tombolian
lvl.4
United States

Xman1 Posted at 2017-6-13 12:25
Sounds like no way to do it without some sort of risk.  I think I will continue to risk being bit.  I will heal, and if I drop this thing, it could be finished.

Note I have only been bit once!  I am not a slow learner!

Of course, we could always turn off the downward sensors which makes hand catching 1000% easier... but I kinda hate turning off tech that I paid for.
2017-6-13
Use props
Xman1
lvl.4

United States

Tombolian Posted at 2017-6-13 12:28
Of course, we could always turn off the downward sensors which makes hand catching 1000% easier... but I kinda hate turning off tech that I paid for.

It's a good tech to have as it is far more useful than the forward vision system.
2017-6-13
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Greece

I forgot that I never shared the video here. I did post it to the Facebook group at the time.

2017-10-29
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-10-29 02:06
I forgot that I never shared the video here. I did post it to the Facebook group at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSYF47JO3k

Hail to the Mavic, what a craft after all that time she still wants to fly. Hope you had Care refresh.
2017-10-29
Use props
BumblerBee
Second Officer
Flight distance : 639764 ft
Norway

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-10-29 02:06

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=veSYF47JO3k

There seems to be a lot of corrosion for just 14 days (especially the hole, where the DJI logo should be). Are you sure it is your bird, and that the diver did not fish out someone else's offering to Poseidon?
2017-10-29
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

BumblerBee Posted at 2017-10-29 05:06
There seems to be a lot of corrosion for just 14 days (especially the hole, where the DJI logo should be). Are you sure it is your bird, and that the diver did not fish out someone else's offering to Poseidon?

yeah it looked like it was worse for wear for 14 days...but hail the Mavic still fighting for life !!
2017-10-29
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Italy

Definitely two weeks. The sea is a hostile place especially when you have galvanic corrosion going on. I imagine parts of the Mavic are magnesium. That and zinc mage great anodes. The battery was of course still attached when it went down.

It was 10m deep which why I had to wait 2 weeks for a diver. At around 4m or so I could have free dived and got it myself.

I cleaned it up a bit (it had see life on it), and rinsed it in fresh water and then alcohol then left it in the sun to dry. The battery was disposed of safely. I when I popped in a fresh battery I was surprised to see life tbh.  Tough little thing.

I guess if I buy a body only Mavic, I'll have a few spare parts.
It would be interesting if someone from DJI could identify what those beeps mean.
2017-10-29
Use props
Bill in Ohio
lvl.4
  • >>>
United States

The bottom is made of aluminum acts as a heat sink and radiates the heat.  Salt Water chemically reacts with aluminum.  Plastic no issue.  The rest of the electronics depends on what is used and whether it was treated with that water repellent they use on newer Phones, etc.?
2017-10-29
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Op if sensors were on you could have just turned it in so it was tail 1st and brought it back to you if the sensors were the issue, also to easily hand catch it just turn off Landing protection and it will not fight you
2017-10-29
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-10-29 08:37
Definitely two weeks. The sea is a hostile place especially when you have galvanic corrosion going on. I imagine parts of the Mavic are magnesium. That and zinc mage great anodes. The battery was of course still attached when it went down.

It was 10m deep which why I had to wait 2 weeks for a diver. At around 4m or so I could have free dived and got it myself.

Does it still fly or does it only turn on? Surprised it even turns on after 14 days in salt water.

Anyways, it bothered me that you never took off the yellow sticker from the camera!
2017-10-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-10-29 08:37

Mike, we are sorry for the accident, if the drone was crashed by pilot's error, we suggest to purchase a new aircraft body directly.
Water damaged drone has many potential threats and the drone damaged so badly like this is hardly to be repaired.
We sympathize with the poor Mavic and hope you will be more cautious during future flight.
2017-10-30
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Greece

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-10-29 13:29
Op if sensors were on you could have just turned it in so it was tail 1st and brought it back to you if the sensors were the issue, also to easily hand catch it just turn off Landing protection and it will not fight you

That's a good one. I never thought about that. I will remember for next time if I buy a new Mavic. Almost temped to wait until something with a similar footprint comes out but with a better video bitrate.
2017-10-30
Use props
FlyingFish82
First Officer
Flight distance : 3662503 ft
  • >>>
United States

Cartagena, Colombia?
2017-10-30
Use props
Mikedefieslife
lvl.3
Greece

AEM74 Posted at 2017-10-29 14:41
Does it still fly or does it only turn on? Surprised it even turns on after 14 days in salt water.

Anyways, it bothered me that you never took off the yellow sticker from the camera!

Turns on only. No wifi or RC connection.

I never even noticed the sticker. You know, I still have the plastic coverings on the remote too.
2017-10-31
Use props
AEM74
lvl.4
Flight distance : 332677 ft
United States

Mikedefieslife Posted at 2017-10-31 12:18
Turns on only. No wifi or RC connection.

I never even noticed the sticker. You know, I still have the plastic coverings on the remote too.

Still, seems like good engineering to even turn on after 2 weeks in salt water.
2017-10-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules