Best way to store Intelligent Flight Batteries
4035 9 2017-6-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Molyvos_Rob
lvl.2
Flight distance : 74610 ft
Greece

Due to illness, I am going to have to put my Mavic away for 6 months (probably).

What is the best way to store the batteries so that they will still work when I start using them again? I guess the same question goes for the built in battery in the remote contoller.
2017-6-4
Use props
Harbourside
First Officer
Flight distance : 6467 ft
United Kingdom

Personally I would let the flight batteries self-discharge, then every 3 months charge them back up.
The RC battery should be fine, but you can turn it on and let it get down to 50% then put it away and charge it at the same time as the flight batteries.

2017-6-4
Use props
Molyvos_Rob
lvl.2
Greece

Thank you for the advice Harbourside. I forgot to say that I will be away from home and might not have the opportunity to return. I will need to figure out a plan to get me and my Mavic reunited, even if only for a quick charge!!!
2017-6-4
Use props
AACY
lvl.4
Flight distance : 518012 ft
United States

Sorry to hear you will not be able to fly, hope you get well soon!

Harbourside's plan is quite good, is very important to exercise the cells from time to time, just fully charge them and let them auto-discharge. I would only need to add that it's ideal to leave them on a temperature and humidity controlled environment. I use a Dry cabinet for all my electronic components and batteries, so far works extremely well and haven't lost any of my hobby batteries due to storage.

The longest I had been able to leave a battery without charging it nor exercising it at storage voltage, is 6 months at 3.8V/per cell. after this period of time and controlled environment, I happily found that the cells where at 3.8~3.78V and did not lose any performance when recharged and flown.

Hope this helps!
2017-6-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey rob good advice from ACCY , don't know if you might have a neighbour who might hold on to them and give them a charge every couple of months.

Look after yourself hope your back flying soon.
2017-6-5
Use props
Molyvos_Rob
lvl.2
Greece

Thank you for the advice. Battery storage was not a consideration when I bought the Mavic. Weather and family issues have limited my flight time and things will get worse before they get better.

But get better they will, so thank you for your advice and kind words.

This might be my last flight for a while . . .
2017-6-5
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Molyvos_Rob Posted at 2017-6-4 23:42
Thank you for the advice Harbourside. I forgot to say that I will be away from home and might not have the opportunity to return. I will need to figure out a plan to get me and my Mavic reunited, even if only for a quick charge!!!

Good advice here.  I have dozens of LiPo's for all my hobbies.  Store with a charge of 60%.  Also a VERY important tip, buy a fire detector and store it also on your shelf(s) above where you store your batteries.  Best to separate groups of batteries and to keep them a couple feet from any walls.  Safety #1.
Love the video.  I'm heading to Greece next month so I can't wait to take it all in with my Mavic
2017-6-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Randy hit on what I was going to add.  Store them in a SAFE place that will not burn.  You might invest in a LIPO BAG to store them in, just in case.  Properly treated, there should not be a problem, but you want to protect against it JUST IN CASE.  Stuff happens, you know?  Please heal up soon and return to us.

Gary
2017-6-5
Use props
laceyboy
lvl.3
Flight distance : 159820 ft
United States

Most Li-po, Li-ion cell batteries have a low self discharge rate but DJI drone battery packs are little different.
It self discharges at higher rate since the battery have a small processor circuitry that uses battery power. This processor gives you battery status (led), and provides power on/off functions.
You would see it drops from 4 leds to 3 leds in just few weeks of storage.
2017-6-5
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Molyvos_Rob Posted at 2017-6-5 06:47
Thank you for the advice. Battery storage was not a consideration when I bought the Mavic. Weather and family issues have limited my flight time and things will get worse before they get better.

But get better they will, so thank you for your advice and kind words.

Wow, just watched the video.  Very nicely done.  Cool surprise reveal near the end too.  Good job!
2017-6-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules