19005 19 2017-6-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
RaunCQ
lvl.1
Flight distance : 20335 ft
United States

hello Support team

I have started getting the gimbal motor overload message. The camera does not reset into position. I have a video  that might help investigate this... looks like the Gimbal cannot be reset to its normal position. It always looks down...

Not sure how i can upload the video here... but please let me know how can we fix this ?
Here's a link
https://1drv.ms/f/s!AhXhHrXO39GwgaVEVTAc0oaCUKNIMQ

Please help .. thanks

2017-6-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

I am unable to open this link ,could you please double check it? Besides, when did this issue start ? And did anything happen before, Like crash or hard landing?
2017-6-7
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

Try to move every axis manually with your hand. see if you feel any restraint. Be gentle Don't force anything, but try to move every part in every direction. I can see it will not turn inside all the way.

Then power it on again and see if it will work.
2017-6-7
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-7 02:00
I am unable to open this link ,could you please double check it? Besides, when did this issue start ? And did anything happen before, Like crash or hard landing?

Hello DJI Thor.... No Hard landings... no crashes...

I was up in the air and then the gimbal just started resetting in mid flight. I could open the above link in an incognito window. Please check this one on Youtube.

Not sure what happened. I brought it down and tried to check for obstructions, but when the Gimbal resets, it moves with a jerky motion. It Gimbal movement isn't smooth.

Hope this helps.
RaunCQ
2017-6-7
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

Nees Posted at 2017-6-7 03:00
Try to move every axis manually with your hand. see if you feel any restraint. Be gentle  Don't force anything, but try to move every part in every direction. I can see it will not turn inside all the way.

Then power it on again and see if it will work.

Thanks for the tip, Nees... I tried that... no obstruction... I initially thought that it overheated but then I tried it again this morning... the gimbal moves with a jerky motion and doesn't lookup straight.
2017-6-7
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

RaunCQ Posted at 2017-6-7 10:48
Hello DJI Thor.... No Hard landings... no crashes...

I was up in the air and then the gimbal just started resetting in mid flight. I could open the above link in an incognito window. Please check this one on Youtube.

Here's the link when the Gimbal failed.
2017-6-7
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Sorry to read on your gimbal obstruction. Have you tried to complete a gimbal calibration?  Have  you tried to move the gimbal with your hand? Is there any part of the gimbal cable that is not working properly or perhaps caught on anything? What steps have you taken to troubleshoot this issue?
2017-6-7
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-7 12:21
Sorry to read on your gimbal obstruction. Have you tried to complete a gimbal calibration?  Have  you tried to move the gimbal with your hand? Is there any part of the gimbal cable that is not working properly or perhaps caught on anything? What steps have you taken to troubleshoot this issue?

Hello DJI - Mark

Gimbal Calibration - Yes. Initially it got stuck at 5%; gave it a little nudge, then got stuck at 51%... happened a couple of times. Didn't move beyond 51% and gave an error "Drone cannot be in motion during calibration" (some similar message)

Tried to nudge it with my finger... DIdn't twist it... it goes into auto reset mode and twists and turns like the videos I posted above.

The drone never crashed or went close to any object. The last video when it started malfunctioning, I had just started up the drone and was 3m from the ground.
it sometimes functions right in the air but it resets mid air.

I can still record the videos (camera permanently looks down) but the gimbal doesn't seem to look up.

Hope this helps...

2017-6-7
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Thank you for your response. We appreciate the information. is the firmware up to the current version? And have you attempted an IMU calibration? Has the aircraft been on for a period of time? If not, please let the aircraft cool, consider updating the the most recent firmware and try an IMU calibration to see if that helps. Further evaluation on your unit may be warranted. Before we get to that point, please respond back on this forum and I will see further if there is a solution I can provide for you.
2017-6-7
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

Firmware - up to date.
IMU - calibrated. Everything is green at startup and then I get the gimbal motor overload warning in yellow.
I tried turning the drone off for a night and started the next morning, I initially thought it was over heating but that didn't fix the gimbal orientation problem

Let me know if I can help debug it. More than happy to help.

2017-6-7
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

RaunCQ Posted at 2017-6-7 13:48
Firmware - up to date.
IMU - calibrated. Everything is green at startup and then I get the gimbal motor overload warning in yellow.
I tried turning the drone off for a night and started the next morning, I initially thought it was over heating but that didn't fix the gimbal orientation problem

Raun, I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair, it looks like a hardware problem.
2017-6-8
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

Looks a lot like what mine did when I forgot to remove the gimbal clamp one time too many, and burnt out the ribbon cable. It was confounding, as the gimbal appears to be working, but always ended up in the same funny position yours did.
2017-6-8
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-6-8 04:19
Raun, I would recommend you send it in for diagnosis and repair, it looks like a hardware problem.

Ok. How do I send it back. Should I connect with Support and setup a case ? or should I expect an email from you ?
2017-6-8
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

PHL Posted at 2017-6-8 04:31
Looks a lot like what mine did when I forgot to remove the gimbal clamp one time too many, and burnt out the ribbon cable. It was confounding, as the gimbal appears to be working, but always ended up in the same funny position yours did.

Hmm.. interesting... I don't see a burnt cable... I think it might be an internal lever which is making the Gimbal motion jerky, feels like a broken cog movement.
2017-6-8
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

Sorry to read on this point but it is the little things such as forgetting to remove a gimbal cover that always gets us in the end. Please contact Support to set up a repair.
2017-6-8
Use props
RaunCQ
lvl.1
United States

DJI-Mark Posted at 2017-6-8 07:32
Sorry to read on this point but it is the little things such as forgetting to remove a gimbal cover that always gets us in the end. Please contact Support to set up a repair.

THanks DJI Mark... I will contact support... Just an FYI... i always remove the Gimbal cover/Clamp...never have left it on the drone... ... Thanks for all the initial help. Appreciate the quick responses.
2017-6-8
Use props
DJI-Mark
Second Officer

United States

You are welcome. Have a great day.
2017-6-8
Use props
PHL
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1044062 ft
Australia

RaunCQ Posted at 2017-6-8 07:00
Hmm.. interesting... I don't see a burnt cable... I think it might be an internal lever which is making the Gimbal motion jerky, feels like a broken cog movement.

Neither did I, but I did see the magic smoke escape, after which the gimbal acted up. It appears to calibrate, but ends up in a funny position half up and half sideways, with message that calibration failed.
2017-6-8
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

On youtube i found a video of a guy replacing the gimbal ribon and fixed his overload issue. This piece costs nothing on ebay, but... If you have warranty, I would send it it. If you are handy and need it urgent, would repair it yourself. It is not that hard. Atleast I find it doable, it all looks so fragile, bit it is built to disassemble easy.
2017-6-9
Use props
fansc9014362
New

Mexico

Hopefully I did discover this video that explain the easy mode to fix the problem, in my case tge error appear after update and non crashes... I wish it works for you too..

youtu.be/lw6NPNHuiMk
2017-11-26
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules