Putting the gimbal protector back on every time?
1930 13 2017-6-8
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Merq
lvl.2
Flight distance : 129327 ft
United States

Do you guys put the original plastic piece that came with the original packaging that protected the camera lens and also keeps it from moving back on after every flight?

I have been, but sometimes it snaps on in a weird position and almost forces the camera/gimbal in a weird position that I'll have to back off and reattempt.

My fear is that just simply trying to replace this every time could potentially harm the mechanism and motor arms worse if it bends or locks in a bad position more than a few times than just leaving it hanging loose as long as I store it in the original styrofoam case it came in.

I have the P4P+.

What are you thoughts?
2017-6-8
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I always use it, as well as the small piece of foam which slides under the rear side. The marks on the underside of the P4P's legs give you an indication of where to position the clips on the plastic protector before pushing them down. That way the camera should not be on an angle.
Essentially, it ensures that a bump to the case in transit will not jar the gimbal. It also protects the lense from scratching should anything move around insidde the case.
2017-6-8
Use props
Merq
lvl.2
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-8 20:52
I always use it, as well as the small piece of foam which slides under the rear side. The marks on the underside of the P4P's legs give you an indication of where to position the clips on the plastic protector before pushing them down. That way the camera should not be on an angle.
Essentially, it ensures that a bump to the case in transit will not jar the gimbal. It also protects the lense from scratching should anything move around insidde the case.

Thanks. I do like using it, but just wanted to be sure it wasn't a one-time thing and known to cause damage or something like that.

If other people do it, I'll continue doing it also.
Update: Never realised there were marks on the bottom of the legs. This helps me feel a lot better when snapping it on. Thanks again!
2017-6-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Merq Posted at 2017-6-8 20:56
Thanks. I do like using it, but just wanted to be sure it wasn't a one-time thing and known to cause damage or something like that.

If other people do it, I'll continue doing it also.

Mine doesn't have marks on the legs, so I added some with a permanent marker, makes it much easier to position.

I think it is important to use it so the gimbal can't crash around in transport, it just presses it up into the fairly soft gimbal suspension, doesn't matter if it is not quite straight, never heard of it getting damaged other than in a crash.
2017-6-8
Use props
Memento Mori
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1550577 ft
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-8 23:04
Mine doesn't have marks on the legs, so I added some with a permanent marker, makes it much easier to position.

I think it is important to use it so the gimbal can't crash around in transport, it just presses it up into the fairly soft gimbal suspension, doesn't matter if it is not quite straight, never heard of it getting damaged other than in a crash.

The marks are underneath on the rubber part of the legs, both my P4 and P4P have them, doesn't yours?
2017-6-8
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

Memento Mori Posted at 2017-6-8 23:23
The marks are underneath on the rubber part of the legs, both my P4 and P4P have them, doesn't yours?

No, my P4 does not have them.  Some do and some don't.
2017-6-9
Use props
Memento Mori
lvl.2
Flight distance : 1550577 ft
United Kingdom

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-9 00:25

You'd think they would be all the same, typical DJI trait I suppose.
2017-6-9
Use props
hdlou94
lvl.4
Flight distance : 753163 ft
United States

Punchbuggy Posted at 2017-6-8 20:52

DITTO DITTO DITTO DITTO
2017-6-9
Use props
dancopter
Second Officer
Flight distance : 17901030 ft
  • >>>
United Arab Emirates

I use the gimbal protector but not the foam insert.
2017-6-9
Use props
Maxi3D
Second Officer
Flight distance : 307621 ft
  • >>>
United States

Try this gimbal lock PolarPro DJI Phantom 4 Pro Gimbal Lock
2017-6-9
Use props
racer888
lvl.3
Flight distance : 99970 ft
United States

Maxi3D Posted at 2017-6-9 10:58
Try this gimbal lock PolarPro DJI Phantom 4 Pro Gimbal Lock

That is the one I use and it works perfectly, bought it on amazon.
2017-6-9
Use props
Aeromirage
First Officer
Flight distance : 1778045 ft
  • >>>
United States

I use the clear factory one and my P4P has marks on the bottom to align it.
I never use the other foam piece.
2017-6-9
Use props
Punchbuggy
First Officer
Flight distance : 483166 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Nigel_ Posted at 2017-6-9 00:25

Earlier manufactured models of P4 didn't have the markings on the legs. I understand DJI added it later - easy enough to do after feedback, I suppose.
2017-6-11
Use props
Merq
lvl.2
United States

This was great intel from the community. Thanks guys. I have been using the factory gimbal protector ever since. It still feels weird when you push that final "click" and it locks on, as if the gimbal's calibration could be thrown off or something from doing it, but if everyone else does it, why not? I'll roll with it.
2017-6-30
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules