autolanding after sudden drop in battery level
635 5 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans938ff366
New
Flight distance : 430610 ft
Netherlands

Hi,Yesterday I experienced something very scarry; while flying (P4P) at 120 m altitude, suddenly the battery level dropped from 58 to 0 %. Without further warning the aircraft started landing at 3m/sec According to the flight log the battery level returned to a normal reading but the landing procedure didnot stop.RH didnot work. I was flying in tripod mode. Luckily it landed in a safe place.
I have been spending several hours now trying to find out what happened, to no avail.
Can't seem to find any relevant posts here. The battery has had plm 10 flights, and is a DJIph4-5870mAh.
Any idea what happened ? Is this a battery failure, software glitch ? Is there a way to overrule autolanding ?

Please see pictures at different fligh-times; at 11:43 everything seems ok at 11:44 battery drops level drops to 0, autolanding starts.

Thank you

12:18

12:18

12:00

12:00

11:44

11:44

11;43

11;43
2017-6-11
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

We can only guess from that information.

If you upload your log file to http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/upload/ and give us a link then we can see far more information and maybe work it out...
(follow the instructions on the page)
2017-6-11
Use props
fans938ff366
New
Netherlands

Thanks, got it uploaded, but I don't see a link to share, can you help me here ?
2017-6-11
Use props
fans938ff366
New
Netherlands

I think this may be it; http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/B5C88YKT6G5X7N4KSDTC/
2017-6-11
Use props
Nigel_
Second Officer
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

fans938ff366 Posted at 2017-6-11 07:13
I think this may be it; http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/B5C88YKT6G5X7N4KSDTC/

Looks like it landed because the battery told it that there was no power left.  

I guess it had a communication error talking to the battery.  Was the battery securely clipped in?
Maybe the battery had a problem internally and reset or just sent the wrong data.
I've not seen that problem reported before.

I think that once it sees the battery is empty it should land as soon as possible even if power appears to come back, letting you fly it back home could be dangerous since it will fall out of the sky when the battery really is empty.

You should have still been able to adjust the landing position to make a safe landing by moving left-right-forward-backwards, and probably delay the landing with throttle up.

I would mark that battery as possibly faulty and be careful flying if using it again.  If you see the problem again using the same battery then maybe get it replaced, if you get the problem again with a different battery then you know it is the aircraft.  Make sure they are plugged in properly.

You could synchronise your flight logs in DJI Go and ask DJI support for advice, maybe they have seen the problem before, maybe they would replace the battery.

I think the aircraft is OK, the problem is probably in the battery.

Let us know what happens...
2017-6-11
Use props
fans938ff366
New
Netherlands

Thank you Nigel
2017-6-11
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now