DJI Restricted areas are CIRCULAR. All NFZ's are not Circular!
2593 14 2017-6-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

[size=14.6667px]I also posted this in the Mavic section, since I have a Mavic Pro. Thinking would be better here.
[size=14.6667px]But, TL;DR at the bottom.

I live in Columbus, GA.  There is a NFZ here for Fort Benning, one of the largest military installations in the country, home to our military's infantry training.  Granted, I would never fly my Mavic here, and there is a NFZ over the area anyway.

Well, for some reason, DJI created a HUGE circle to cover this entire base, but since they only use circles to zone off restricted areas, my ENTIRE city of Columbus, GA is encompassed in it (population quarter million).  This NFZ is not supposed to be circular.  

Here are three different sources of what the restricted zoning looks like for Fort Benning:

Here is DJI's incorrect zoning (which seems to be a huge "circle" to encompass the entire zone)

As you can see, DJI basically placed an entire circle to sufficiently cover the entire restricted airspace.  Which in turn, ENGULFS my entire city of Columbus, GA.  I've sent them e-mails, and reported the error through the app, but I haven't heard anything yet.  
Has anyone out there ran into this issue?  This basically makes my drone a paperweight.  

Thanks for reading,
-Heartbroken Mavic flyer.  

TL;DR DJI uses circles to zone off restricted areas.  But in doing that, they covered my whole city in error.  I can't fly.

2017-6-11
Use props
fans9553217f
First Officer
Flight distance : 814751 ft
Guernsey

Perhaps it is because you shouldn't fly over thae city without permission, even if it is not an aircraft free zone. Have you spoken to the authorities about this?
2017-6-12
Use props
mmv|Creative
lvl.2
United States

fans9553217f Posted at 2017-6-12 08:31
Perhaps it is because you shouldn't fly over thae city without permission, even if it is not an aircraft free zone. Have you spoken to the authorities about this?

Most of Columbus, GA is class D airspace, so yes, you need authorization -- in which I can obtain no problem.  However; per DJI they have zoned off the entire city as NO FLY restricted.  Meaning, there is no unlocking the zone even with permission.  

What's sad about the situation, is that the NFZ is stemming from Ft Benning, which is a military installation.  Even if I had Columbus, GA's full authority from the mayor himself, I couldn't fly at all.
2017-6-12
Use props
P4rk3r3oy
New

United States

I have tried calling all of dji myself. The circle overlaps Columbus, but is on edge of post on eastern side. Have you found a solution?
2017-7-11
Use props
15TDriver
New
Flight distance : 330558 ft
United States

Also in Columbus with the same problem on my 4 pro+. Has anyone been successful flying in Columbus yet?
2017-8-14
Use props
Benparmer
lvl.1
Flight distance : 39459 ft
United States

Any updates on this ?   For a little while you could use the litchi app to bypass the misaligned no fly zone.  Now it’s even locked down through that app.  
2017-11-23
Use props
fansa3544918
New
Flight distance : 22746 ft
United States

The area around Atlanta airport or even Robins Airforce base isn’t this big.
2017-11-23
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Benparmer Posted at 2017-11-23 10:32
Any updates on this ?   For a little while you could use the litchi app to bypass the misaligned no fly zone.  Now it’s even locked down through that app.

Sorry, Ben, we have no support to Litchi APP, every pilot should obey the rules.
If you would like to fly in the locked zone, please apply unlocking in our website: https://www.dji.com/flysafe/self-unlock
If there is any problem, please send email to flysafe@dji.com, thank you.

2017-11-23
Use props
Benparmer
lvl.1
United States

Mindy, the problem is the zone is WRONG.  I should not have to request permission.  The zone needs correcting.  
2017-11-24
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Benparmer Posted at 2017-11-24 13:53
Mindy, the problem is the zone is WRONG.  I should not have to request permission.  The zone needs correcting.

Sorry Sir, I don't have the permission to the Fly Safe system, if you have sent email to Fly Safe Team, please leave me with the email ticket number, I will inform them to make it clear for you and reply as soon as possible, thanks for the understanding.
2017-11-24
Use props
Benparmer
lvl.1
United States

DJI Mindy Posted at 2017-11-24 20:04
Sorry Sir, I don't have the permission to the Fly Safe system, if you have sent email to Fly Safe Team, please leave me with the email ticket number, I will inform them to make it clear for you and reply as soon as possible, thanks for the understanding.

My ticket number is #852952.  I'm hopeful they can unlock it for all drone users in that area, not just myself.
2017-11-28
Use props
Benparmer
lvl.1
United States

DJI is willing to unlock the zone for you but you have to jump through some smallish hoops to get the unlock, and it only lasts 3 months.  So I assume you have to request it again later.  Also they have no long-term correction to the overall zone issue.  Their latest response:

This is because all our no fly zone are indicated in circle, so will cover some unrestricted zone some times.
If other customer also have this problem, we will unlock for them.

We will also feedback this problem to related department and hope they can find a better solution as soon as possible.
2017-11-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Benparmer Posted at 2017-11-30 04:01
DJI is willing to unlock the zone for you but you have to jump through some smallish hoops to get the unlock, and it only lasts 3 months.  So I assume you have to request it again later.  Also they have no long-term correction to the overall zone issue.  Their latest response:

This is because all our no fly zone are indicated in circle, so will cover some unrestricted zone some times.

Hi Benparmer, the related team had replied your email, right? And yes, please kindly refer to the unlock regulation, we will do our best to help for the unlock. Appreciate your understanding.
2017-11-30
Use props
Benparmer
lvl.1
United States

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-30 19:41
Hi Benparmer, the related team had replied your email, right? And yes, please kindly refer to the unlock regulation, we will do our best to help for the unlock. Appreciate your understanding.

Yes, I submitted the unlock request and it was approved.  I will try it this Friday and respond with any issues that may arise.
2017-12-20
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Benparmer Posted at 2017-12-20 04:20
Yes, I submitted the unlock request and it was approved.  I will try it this Friday and respond with any issues that may arise.

Okay, hope everything goes smoothly.
2017-12-20
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules