Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
Hard landing, gimbal came off. Minor damage, can I repair it?
2385 8 2015-3-13
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
dugweb.gmail
New

United States

Short story even shorter, the Inspire came down for a harder than ideal landing. Got knocked around, broke a couple blades, and the rubber dampers weren't able to hold onto the camera and it popped off. Not a huge deal.
Initial inspection I didn't think anything was wrong. Went to plug the camera back into the inspire's little black ribbon cables only to find that they had broken the casing off that they clip into. I was able to slip the casing back on over the pins and the camera worked fine, but as soon as those come loose the gimbal starts going crazy.

It would be a dead-simple repair if I could purchase a replacement piece, but I can't find it anywhere. It seems like overkill to send it in to get it repaired, and doesn't seem like a warranty breaking fix so I wanted to fix it myself.

I attached some pictures to give an idea of what I need to do.

Anyone have experience with this?
DJI-inspire-clip-casing-broke-off.jpg

Inside look of where the casing broke off.

Inside look of where the casing broke off.
2015-3-13
Use props
misticsea
lvl.2
Flight distance : 87228484 ft
United States

Only one way to find out hook it back up.
2015-3-13
Use props
dugweb.gmail
New

United States

I'm mostly looking for ideas on how to reattach. Soldering it seems like it wouldn't hold well as there's not much for it to grab onto. Super glue seems like it would work, but maybe the vibrations will break it off again.

Ah well, I'll try superglueing it.
2015-3-13
Use props
w1der
lvl.4

Sweden

There is rubber inforced super glue that might work for the vibrations ...
2015-3-13
Use props
bolwerk.arnold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12238 ft
Netherlands

You can buy this plate an replace it.
2015-3-13
Use props
xzces
lvl.3
Flight distance : 81526 ft
  • >>>
Suriname

If it was originally soldered on, I would solder it. Otherwise some epoxy should do the trick, much better than superglue. It forms a body around the object so would give it little chance to move. Just don't forget to keep pressure on it while it hardens. Once it's cured you can't go back. Good luck!
2015-3-13
Use props
dugweb.gmail
New

United States

bolwerk.arnold Posted at 2015-3-14 03:42
You can buy this plate an replace it.

Do you have a link to where I can buy it? I would probably do that, but haven't had any luck finding somewhere to buy it.
2015-3-13
Use props
bolwerk.arnold
lvl.2
Flight distance : 12238 ft
Netherlands

Search for gimbal plate, perhaps you're  lucky to get them in your country.
2015-3-13
Use props
Goodwill
lvl.2
  • >>>
Canada

I had this problem as well when my inspire crashed after hiting some branches. The plastic broke off the ribbon, if I didn't have a broken Carbon fibre arm as well I wouldn't have sent it in for repair.
2015-3-13
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules