Fog line on horizon
821 6 2017-8-24
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Robhulford
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Hi All,

My first post within the DJI forum's I am new to all of this and my aircraft (DJI Mavic Pro) but I love it..  I have a question if anyone has an idea. I took the attached photo at sundown this evening. THere was rather a lot of layed rather thick high altitude cirrus sheets making for a potentially colourful sunset. Once I landed and pulled out the SD card to look at what
I had captured I noticed a foggy kind of line right on the horizon. Any ideas what this could be and if it could be a camera setting? Was shot from about 50m facing West, air temp around -+20oC 68oF, no wind.

Any useful tips and pointers appreciated.

Cheers Rob
Horizon.jpg
2017-8-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

i think your settings maybe off is all.. low light photography is a completely different beast than daytime photography. 1st, out of focus, autofocus probably is incapable of helping much here because lack of lighting, manual focus it.  second  you need to use manual mode and play with settings a bit.  i also suggest learning how to shoot manually with a DSLR or mirrorless camera in both good lighting and bad lighting and bring that over to the mavic pro, because that will massively change the quality of shots you can get in less than ideal conditions if you know how to adjust things manually and decent limitations to apply.  like for this scene i would probably enable tripod mode up there, set my iso to 400 maybe 600 at most(more iso used the more noise is introduced), set my shutter to 1/8th of a second (maybe?) i dont know but you should play with manual mode a bit and see.
2017-8-24
Use props
Robhulford
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-24 12:02
i think your settings maybe off is all.. low light photography is a completely different beast than daytime photography. 1st, out of focus, autofocus probably is incapable of helping much here because lack of lighting, manual focus it.  second  you need to use manual mode and play with settings a bit.  i also suggest learning how to shoot manually with a DSLR or mirrorless camera in both good lighting and bad lighting and bring that over to the mavic pro, because that will massively change the quality of shots you can get in less than ideal conditions if you know how to adjust things manually and decent limitations to apply.  like for this scene i would probably enable tripod mode up there, set my iso to 400 maybe 600 at most(more iso used the more noise is introduced), set my shutter to 1/8th of a second (maybe?) i dont know but you should play with manual mode a bit and see.

Thanks for the feedback.. to be honest I've not flown this late to dusk o I have to admit Im flying using the settings out of the box. I do use a Nikon P900Coolpix and I've played around with the settings. I'm truly no photographer and have probably shot my best pics on an iphone7+ ... That said I will take on board your advice and settings guidelines. If I go into the app on the phone and adjust the camera settings, will these be saved once the phone is connected to the controller and in turn the Mavic, or do I need to set up the camera with all devices switched on and connected ?
The attached shot was taken later still in less light but without the horizon blur. It's great to be able to pop up in the sky and take a sunset, anytime ;)

Again, thanks.
DJI_0092.jpg
2017-8-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Robhulford Posted at 2017-8-24 12:11
Thanks for the feedback.. to be honest I've not flown this late to dusk o I have to admit Im flying using the settings out of the box. I do use a Nikon P900Coolpix and I've played around with the settings. I'm truly no photographer and have probably shot my best pics on an iphone7+ ... That said I will take on board your advice and settings guidelines. If I go into the app on the phone and adjust the camera settings, will these be saved once the phone is connected to the controller and in turn the Mavic, or do I need to set up the camera with all devices switched on and connected ?

Again, thanks.

have to setup like about to fly.. mavic and RC connected and the iPhone connected to the RC.. all that fun stuff..   

most people use auto settings, nothing wrong with it, but its not ideal everywhere..   i mostly used auto mode and adjust the Exposure compensation (EV) and autofocus if it's broad daylight , but in lower light or difficult situations when auto mode isn't smart enough, have to use manual to get best shots. at first it is difficult and overwhelming, but more you do it the easier things get and quicker you can pull settings.   
2017-8-24
Use props
Robhulford
lvl.1

United Kingdom

ImHereToCrash Posted at 2017-8-24 12:16
have to setup like about to fly.. mavic and RC connected and the iPhone connected to the RC.. all that fun stuff..   

most people use auto settings, nothing wrong with it, but its not ideal everywhere..   i mostly used auto mode and adjust the Exposure compensation (EV) and autofocus if it's broad daylight , but in lower light or difficult situations when auto mode isn't smart enough, have to use manual to get best shots. at first it is difficult and overwhelming, but more you do it the easier things get and quicker you can pull settings.

Appreciate the honest reply and tips... I'll let  you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Rob
2017-8-24
Use props
ImHereToCrash
First Officer
  • >>>
United States

Robhulford Posted at 2017-8-24 12:22
Appreciate the honest reply and tips... I'll let  you know how I get on.

Thanks again

no problem, and good luck.  
2017-8-24
Use props
Montfrooij
Captain
Flight distance : 2560453 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

This looks like the banding you get when you apply a (mild) HDR effect to a picture. Where the dark meets the light.
But not sure if that is the cause here.
2017-8-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules