1843 30 2017-9-3
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Stefanosbizas
lvl.1
Flight distance : 2713 ft
Finland

Hi everybody,

Just wanna raise a flag here, I updated my mavic's firmware and after this I flew it where I experienced the worst situation ever...: a fly-away.

It all went good in the first 2-3 mins of the flight, then I gave it some altitude in order to take some pictures and videos and before I know it, it starter drifting away. Problem was that I didnt realise it cause I was focusing on looking onto my iphone's screen up until I tried to bring it back. There I realised that it was 7-800m away from the home point and it was impossible to bring it back ! Moreover, at some point I lost the link between the RC and the aiecraft for about 2mins.

It can all be proved I guess from the flight record where it shows that the mavic is on GPS mode, sticks are completely untouched and it drifts by itself completely.

Does anyone know if I have some sort of possibility for a refund/compensation case ?

Thank you all in advance
2017-9-3
Use props
Mari
First Officer
Flight distance : 1308780 ft
Netherlands

Upload data for example to dropbox so someone here can take a look at it. Contact DJI for support...
2017-9-3
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Flight distance : 614065 ft
Australia

Did u calibrate the compass and the IMU before flight? Remember after Firmware update all your settings reset and as good practice u should atleast calibrate the compass before each flight session for optimal GPS lock.
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Does anyone know if I have some sort of possibility for a refund/compensation case ?

DJI has been known to sometimes provide a warranty replacement when there's evidence that the loss was caused by a product defect, so there's a possibility that you'll get a free warranty replacement. To determine that, though, they'll want you to use the Go app to upload / synchronous the log from the flight that's stored on your mobile device. In the meantime, if you'd also like some of us here to look at it then upload the flight log to PhantomHelp using these instructions and provide a link to it in this thread.
2017-9-3
Use props
Stefanosbizas
lvl.1
Denmark

Yes ! I absolutely did calibrate the compass before flight ! This mavic has been my 3rd drone with DJI so Im pretty familiar with the procedure
2017-9-3
Use props
randy.sauder
Second Officer
Flight distance : 872572 ft
Canada

Stefanosbizas@g Posted at 2017-9-3 09:39
Yes ! I absolutely did calibrate the compass before flight ! This mavic has been my 3rd drone with DJI so Im pretty familiar with the procedure

Sorry to hear...you should then be familiar with the likelihood that updating your firmware with a DJI product very often means a game of Russian Roulette with it's flight characteristics .  

Once the firmware has been successfully updated,  DJI should display on the screen "Update Successful...now Expect the Unexpected."
2017-9-3
Use props
Fingers
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1365676 ft
United Kingdom

Did you manage to recover the Mavic? I suspect that you can no longer look at the Flight Data.  The last firmware update stops users accessing the Flight Data via DJI Assistant2. This worries me.
2017-9-3
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Why did u calibrate compass. Did app tell u too? U should only ever do it if the app asks of u or u see some weird behaviour in map like red triangle pointed opposite of u
2017-9-3
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

Dj enertia i have to really disagree with u big time...calibrate compass every flight helps the quad get gps lock? Ehhh no! You should not calibrate the compass every flight that is retarded you should only do it at the app asks you to this will introduce a bag calibration if you don't know what you're doing say you calibrate over a sidewalk it has rebar in it say you're near an old barn and there's buried metal you just don't know I have had my mavic Pro for a long time and only calibrated once!. Read the manual! I just hate it when bad advice is given. Some of you guys are still stuck in the early days when people calibrated the compass everyday you do not have to do this with the p3, p4/pro/spark, mavic ,inspires
2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Flight distance : 2203983 ft
Sweden

DJ Enertia Posted at 2017-9-3 08:46
Did u calibrate the compass and the IMU before flight? Remember after Firmware update all your settings reset and as good practice u should atleast calibrate the compass before each flight session for optimal GPS lock.

Why should you calibrate the compass if not asked? I have NEVER done it, been in 4 different countries.
How ewer when you upgrade the AC you are correct about the IMU calibration. No problems so far.
2017-9-3
Use props
WolfgangStiller
Second Officer
Flight distance : 599416 ft
United States

Calibrating the compass both each flight is contrary to what DJI suggests and what myself and the Mavic pilots I fly with do.  I have over 300 flights since November 2016 and have only calibrated my compass once.
2017-9-3
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

Hi, Sorry to hear about this. I have today discovered a possible bug in the .1000 version of the software and RTH, check this link https://forum.dji.com/thread-111656-1-1.html. I hope it works out to the best for you  
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

This is wrong advice!
Look what the Mavic manual mentions with regard to compass calibration and a similar advice exists for IMU calibration:
Compass calibration.PNG
2017-9-3
Use props
MARSAN
Second Officer
Flight distance : 966978 ft
Belgium

Why did you calibrate the Mavic's compass?
Did you get a compass error message on your mobile device?
This could possibly be the reason for the flyaway:

http://forum.dji.com/forum.php?mod=viewthread&tid=87212
2017-9-3
Use props
DroneFlying
Second Officer
Flight distance : 10774613 ft
United States

Please upload the flight log (TXT file) from the flight so that we can see what happened and perhaps recommend where to look for your lost Mavic.
2017-9-3
Use props
Jenee 2
First Officer
Flight distance : 7852129 ft
Australia

It is highly likely that when you "gave it some altitude" it hit a stronger wind that wasn't apparent on the ground which caused it to drift. Unless there is something significant in the flight logs, you may have to accept this one as pilot error.
2017-9-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Sorry to hear about your case, Stefanosbizas, had you report this case to us? Please send an email to support.eu@dji.com and start a data analysis. And you can also try to find the drone if possible. Use the function "Find My Drone" on DJI GO 4 app.
2017-9-4
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Fingers Posted at 2017-9-3 10:30
Did you manage to recover the Mavic? I suspect that you can no longer look at the Flight Data.  The last firmware update stops users accessing the Flight Data via DJI Assistant2. This worries me.

This is a known issue with DJI Assistant 2. Our engineers are working on it. At present, please let me know if you need to export data from the drone.
2017-9-4
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-4 02:00
This is a known issue with DJI Assistant 2. Our engineers are working on it. At present, please let me know if you need to export data from the drone.

Hi Thor.

I have been writing in this thread also but I have another problem that I would like to get DJI's opinion about. I have the Drone safe and sound so just asking for advice to share some information/data with you guys to correct this if it's a bug.

Check the thread here
https://forum.dji.com/thread-111656-1-1.html

Thanks in advance
2017-9-4
Use props
SafariMan
Second Officer
Flight distance : 67703 ft
  • >>>
Switzerland

This is so wrong! You should calibrate ONLY when the app tells you to do it. Read your user manual again.
2017-9-4
Use props
fansfcc63316
New
Flight distance : 5801 ft
Australia

Hi everyone, I'm New to this.
My Mavic was OK before the last update (.1000). Now the motors will start but on run for a few seconds then stop. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it?
2017-9-4
Use props
MMARKOE
lvl.3
Flight distance : 2710 ft
United States

I own a Mavic and have had issues others had reported here. Two days ago I decided to fly my Phantom 4 which previously has worked fine. However I had to update the DJI go on my Android tablet. When I took off with the P4 I did not hear it say the home Point has been recorded. I then proceeded to take it up approximately 50 meters and started to fly it out several hundred meters. I found the controls to be highly unresponsive. For example, I would try to yaw to the right and it would yaw to the left on the screen. The distance and the altitude were not being refreshed. I hit the return to home button, several times, but did not see any message. I kept seeing video but it did not seem to be in real time but lagged. Surprisingly, after a few minutes, battery level on the screen showing 53%, I heard the Drone above me. It started to land several meters away from where I was and I had to take control in order to land safely where I was standing. I have lost confidence in using this device and can certainly relate to it being related to the firmware update and the new version of DJI go. By the way, there was only one of the four lights on the battery remaining when it landed and certainly was not at 53%.
2017-9-4
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

fansfcc63316 Posted at 2017-9-4 03:28
Hi everyone, I'm New to this.
My Mavic was OK before the last update (.1000). Now the motors will start but on run for a few seconds then stop. Has anyone else had this problem? How can I fix it?

Hi.

The first time I started mine it did the same, turned it of did an IMU calibration and after that it worked as supposed to (well almost at least).

Good luck
2017-9-4
Use props
Stefanosbizas
lvl.1
Denmark

theres nothing wrong with calibrating the compass before each flight.. IMU is the one that doesnt need calibration often and should be calibrated when it cannot be initialized
2017-9-4
Use props
fansfcc63316
New
Flight distance : 5801 ft
Australia

I done the IMU calibration, compass calibration and even recalibrated the remote control and did a refresh on the update.
2017-9-4
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Australia

Stefanosbizas@g Posted at 2017-9-4 09:30
theres nothing wrong with calibrating the compass before each flight.. IMU is the one that doesnt need calibration often and should be calibrated when it cannot be initialized

Thank you Stefan
2017-9-5
Use props
chalde
Second Officer
Flight distance : 668314 ft
  • >>>
United States

I'll hijack the thread but I thought the "rule" for calibrating the compass was that you need to re-calibrate when you travel 25+ miles away from your original calibration position - is this not valid anymore?
2017-9-5
Use props
fans987d278a
lvl.4
Flight distance : 124180 ft
Canada

chalde Posted at 2017-9-5 07:21
I'll hijack the thread but I thought the "rule" for calibrating the compass was that you need to re-calibrate when you travel 25+ miles away from your original calibration position - is this not valid anymore?

I don't know where Stefan got his info,. maybe from DJI's first drone many years ago! You just don't calibrate anymore unless the app prompts you to do so!
ALL of my flying buddies calibrated many, many months ago & we fly all of DJI birds.
Calibrating before each flight is just asking for trouble, & is a big no-no, even DJI manuals, which are known to be outdated say- Don't calibrate unless the app prompts you to do a calibration!!
One ill informed person posting wrong info can lead a newbie into trouble!
2017-9-5
Use props
Flybee
First Officer
Sweden

Stefanosbizas@g Posted at 2017-9-4 09:30

It is a risky business though, if you have a good Calibration, let it be until you are asked to do it.

2017-9-5
Use props
DocAraxá
Second Officer
Flight distance : 202283 ft
Brazil

As I was beggining, I saw some videos and assumed that I would have to calibrate the compass frequently.
It is a mistake. I even experienced compass error during flights as in my region we have many rocks and iron percentage that can affect the compass.
I just turn the drone 360 grades in the air and continue to fly.
I see to many discussion about this and  many will apeear. But you that consider it as a normal procedure may be aware of some problems you should cause.
Cheers.
2017-9-5
Use props
DJ Enertia
lvl.3
Australia

$gambino$ Posted at 2017-9-3 11:29
Dj enertia i have to really disagree with u big time...calibrate compass every flight helps the quad get gps lock? Ehhh no! You should not calibrate the compass every flight that is retarded you should only do it at the app asks you to this will introduce a bag calibration if you don't know what you're doing say you calibrate over a sidewalk it has rebar in it say you're near an old barn and there's buried metal you just don't know I have had my mavic Pro for a long time and only calibrated once!. Read the manual! I just hate it when bad advice is given. Some of you guys are still stuck in the early days when people calibrated the compass everyday you do not have to do this with the p3, p4/pro/spark, mavic ,inspires

Good to know its just some of the advice i seen on some videos -that after firmware updates its good to do it once and that if u travel around Flying different locations calibrating the compass only before first flight help since the Magnetic and Electromagnetic forces vary around the earth which can effect compasses..thats all.So if i gave bad advice i apologise  its good to discuss these things thanks for all the input.
2017-9-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules