Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
P4 - 1 Month Old - STRESS CRACK!!!
1606 20 2017-9-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
deggimatt1
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24478 ft

Malta

I have bought a DJI Phantom 4 from Jessops (UK) on August 4th 2017. Since then this p4 has developed a stress crack under one of its motors. Here is a picture:

P4 Stress Crack

P4 Stress Crack

I have never used it in sports mode. Always gentle on the throttle. Never crashed!And No, it did not come with a stress crack.. I checked it thoroughly. This crack developed after a short flight I did today.

What should I do?

I have already contacted Jessops. Should I also contact DJI directly?
Can I continue flying the drone? Or is it too risky?

2017-9-5
Use props
Capt Whitefoot
lvl.4

United States

I know they sell the shells for the P4P, if you think you can remove the shell yourself.  Other options, return it to where you bought it and see if they offer a replacement, and also check with DJI Support.
2017-9-5
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Please contact the support for further assistance: http://www.dji.com/support.

BTW, I would not suggest to use this aircraft any more.
2017-9-5
Use props
deggimatt1
lvl.1

Italy

I have emailed DJI europe. I am still waiting for their reply.
2017-9-6
Use props
Drone-Mike
First Officer

United Kingdom

What did Jessops say when you contacted them?
2017-9-6
Use props
Slendermouse
lvl.3
Flight distance : 37444 ft
United Kingdom

Please keep us up to date
mine has EXACT same thing
this must be a common fault, a bit like the battery split issue.
2017-9-6
Use props
Drone-Mike
First Officer

United Kingdom

Slendermouse Posted at 2017-9-6 03:43
Please keep us up to date
mine has EXACT same thing
this must be a common fault, a bit like the battery split issue.

I have seen a few things floating around the forums recently but initially just thought it was a coincidence.

Did you also buy from Jessops?
2017-9-6
Use props
Drone-Mike
First Officer

United Kingdom

https://forum.dji.com/thread-111920-1-1.html another one.
2017-9-6
Use props
Pvt Pilot '79
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1000272 ft
United States

If you send it back to DJI, keep in mind that you're likely to get someone else's refurbished one in return. If it were me, I'd buy a new shell and fix it myself because of that likely possibility; especially since yours is only one month old.
2017-9-6
Use props
microlinux
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2576972 ft
  • >>>
United States

Pvt Pilot '79 Posted at 2017-9-6 08:09
If you send it back to DJI, keep in mind that you're likely to get someone else's refurbished one in return. If it were me, I'd buy a new shell and fix it myself because of that likely possibility; especially since yours is only one month old.

And then you have no warranty.
2017-9-6
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

I wonder sometimes if the plastic manufacturer isn't keeping specs up.  I assume these are molded in China.  Using regrind instead of virgin material saves money, but also
makes the plastic more brittle.
2017-9-6
Use props
fans417abfbd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

I would take is back to Jessops  for a replacement. Let them deal with the agro. To be fair to DJI my dealings with their repair centre in the Netherlands was pretty good and on one crash repair (my fault) they even replaced bits that weren't covered under DJI Care. However each time I was waiting around four weeks. Also I have had a P4 and a P4P and never had a stress crack (I hope haven't just given myself the kiss of death). I guess you'll have to weigh up how long you are prepared to wait. Also both times I sent my P4 to DJI for repair I got my original bird back. Good luck.
2017-9-6
Use props
deggimatt1
lvl.1

Malta

Jessops cant offer replacement as they are out of stock. Will DJI fix this for free? I don't want to send it and then I get an email stating that the fix will cost an arm and a leg.
2017-9-6
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
Flight distance : 388642 ft
United Kingdom

deggimatt1 Posted at 2017-9-6 10:31
Jessops cant offer replacement as they are out of stock. Will DJI fix this for free? I don't want to send it and then I get an email stating that the fix will cost an arm and a leg.

Yes, that is a warrantee issue so a free replacement.  The disadvantage is that they may take a few weeks to sort it and they often send refurbished units back.  For that you should expect a new replacement rather than a refurbished one so make sure you demand a new replacement.  Returning to Jessops would be easier if they could replace it however, there were a batch with bad plastic a few months ago, I guess this is one of them so maybe a Jessops replacement wouldn't be a good idea anyway since it would be the same batch.
2017-9-6
Use props
HomePoint
First Officer
Flight distance : 776007 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Return to DJI = You will get somebody else's returned Drone, repaired, age not even considered.
Return to Jessops = Get your money back or a new Drone.

I see too many people unwillingly send their drones back to DJI not realising the consequences.  
Would you return your £1000 Computer back to the store because the keyboard was broken and accept a refurbished Computer back?  I don't think so, but this is how DJI policy works.
2017-9-6
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

HomePoint Posted at 2017-9-6 11:39
Return to DJI = You will get somebody else's returned Drone, repaired, age not even considered.
Return to Jessops = Get your money back or a new Drone.

The one you receive back should be at least as good as the one sent, but without the problem.  If that's not the case then it can still be returned to Jessops for the money back.  I would point out that it is almost new though.

It is not the same as your computers keyboard, this is a major structural fault in the main body of the aircraft.
2017-9-6
Use props
deggimatt1
lvl.1

Malta

Jessops no longer stock this. I bought this refurbished from Jessops. Can I actually request a new one?
2017-9-6
Use props
fans417abfbd
Second Officer
Flight distance : 434593 ft
United Kingdom

deggimatt1 Posted at 2017-9-6 12:11
Jessops no longer stock this. I bought this refurbished from Jessops. Can I actually request a new one?

Now that may change things. I'm not sure but if it's a refurb then perhaps you will be limited to a repair. Who was it refurbed by?
2017-9-6
Use props
repairman
lvl.4
Flight distance : 16581 ft
United States

i agree with private pilot 79.buy your parts and repair it yourself.lots of repair videos to watch that will help you. good luck any way with your decision.
2017-9-6
Use props
Nigel_
Captain
United Kingdom

deggimatt1 Posted at 2017-9-6 12:11

You can expect one that is in similar state to the one you send in, just point out that it is only 1 month old and in near perfect condition so you would like a properly refurbished one, not a year old repaired one.

They are normally pretty good.  (Unless you live in America!)   

(You don't want to repair it yourself as suggested above since that would loose your remaining warrantee and also risk damaging it.)
2017-9-6
Use props
deggimatt1
lvl.1

Malta

If you are located outside the UK .. in my case Malta.. do I have to pay for the shipping to send it for repair?
2017-9-7
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules