Help: Mavic start up failure
1961 36 2017-9-17
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Keith's mavic
New
United States

Hi guys,
First time drone owner, here. I bought the Mavic Pro combo pack back in March/April this year, and have flown probably 5 hours total or so. I try to update the firmware as often as possible. A few hours ago I tried to update the firmware via the DJI GO app; the update stalled out at about 63% or so. I let it settle for about 10-20 minutes longer, and realized it was not updating. I turned everything off and tried to retry several more times. Nothing was successful.

After the first failure, the remote control for the Mavic would not connect.

The second reboot, or so, the drone began to make a new/strange beeping sound, the gimble spins around, and the propellers continue to spin. The drone flashes a yellow light, and does not complete the "self inspection" phase. It does all of these symptons at once.

I've tried updating and resetting with the DJI Assistant 2 program. I cannot get the drone to even respond. The front leds are on and are dull brightness, the rear yellow flashes, the beeping does not stop, the propellers continue one by one quarter spinning, as if it's conducting the self inspection phase nonstop.

Please someone help or point me in a direction.
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
Flight distance : 1665023 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

What procedures are you following with DJI Assistant 2 Kieth ?
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always use Assistant 2 installed on my mac. Open app, connect drone and switch on. App should see Mavic and take you in. It will show you the FW version and to the right it should say refresh. This will then re-install the FW to current version.
2017-9-17
Use props
Keith's mavic
New
United States

I'm not sure I understand the question. I don't really get to try or input many procedures. When I open the DJI Assistant 2 program, I am given the option to click on the Mavic Pro button. I do. Then The default tab selected is "Firmware Update". I then select the Update button. It alternates between actually succeeding the download to 100%, and failing. When it does successfully download the update, it will fail the update around 20%. And I'm back to where I've been.

The entire time I'm downloading or updating, the drone is beeping loudly, the rear light is yellow and static, the gimble is spinning, and the propellers are quarter spinning, one at a time.
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Does not sound good from what you have explained. OK, you could try with a new SD card or format the one you are using - after you have taken any images or vids from it first. Once formatted, put back in Mavic and try to update again. May have a corrupted SD card - doesn't take much to be honest. My Mavic is a recent and it had a Phantom 4 Pro card in it. All I did was connect and update via refresh.
2017-9-17
Use props
Keith's mavic
New
United States

Quick update, I've tried this procedure for almost 3 hours. This is the furthest I've gotten in the update process. 56% updated, yellow light is now flashing, the beeping has stopped, and the 'self inspection' phase appears to have ended. I'm very hopeful! Thank you Corey for fast response! I'll keep you updated.
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

The normal procedure should take as quick as your internet connection and as long as it takes the drone to take it in and install it. One for the future - I don't rely on the app for drone updates and always use the Assistant on computer. Everyone will let you know the way they like best and this is mine. Keep me posted Keith....
2017-9-17
Use props
Keith's mavic
New
United States

Ok, the drone is on and appears to be performing the proper self inspection. Now it's flashing yellow on the rear, I believe this to be a binding issue with the controller. I'm currently attempting to bind the two.
2017-9-17
Use props
Keith's mavic
New
United States

That did it. Everything is working, the camera is displaying in the mobile app. Lesson learned Corey, and I agree, all updates in the future will be performed with DJI Assistant 2 program! Thanks for hanging in there and providing advice!
Edit: I will test flight later in the morning. It's currently nearly 4am.
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keith's mavic Posted at 2017-9-17 00:43
Ok, the drone is on and appears to be performing the proper self inspection. Now it's flashing yellow on the rear, I believe this to be a binding issue with the controller. I'm currently attempting to bind the two.

Almost there......Have faith.
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Keith's mavic Posted at 2017-9-17 00:47
That did it. Everything is working, the camera is displaying in the mobile app. Lesson learned Corey, and I agree, all updates in the future will be performed with DJI Assistant 2 program! Thanks for hanging in there and providing advice!

Cool & Nice one keith. Glad I could help. Enjoy. Its a steep learning curve sometimes but ultimately worth it.....
2017-9-17
Use props
Henrik38
lvl.1
Flight distance : 24199 ft
Denmark

Dear Keith and Corey. I'm having the exact same problem and I'm following your advice. After formatting the SD drive, I have reset the settings to default - this works. But during the update it seams to loose connection to the drone at the exact same  time every time I try. Have you experienced that to?
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Not at all. Make sure you have a full battery as this can cause it to disconnect. Are you using the app to complete the update or direct connection to computer via Assistant 2..??
2017-9-17
Use props
CoreyB10
First Officer
  • >>>
United Kingdom

These are direct instructions from the forum I found. Follow these - https://forum.dji.com/thread-79157-1-1.html

Have you also checked the USB cable as this was also mention in the link above..??
2017-9-17
Use props
Keith's mavic
New
United States

I did experience the drone/connection issue. I later used the USB cable that came with the drone. The problem I had, was that I was using an after market/non branded wire.
2017-9-17
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

You mentioned the props turning.  This should not happen.  The drone is turned on, but not started.  Explain?
2017-9-17
Use props
$gambino$
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1563980 ft
United States

At so.e point during update each esc sends a signal to motor and u see props do a little jerk motion i guess this is where his update crashed so tgat is why he was seeing this
2017-9-17
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Keith's mavic Posted at 2017-9-17 00:47

Glad to hear about that and thanks to Corey's help. Looking forward to your feedback on your test.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Henrik38 Posted at 2017-9-17 01:28
Dear Keith and Corey. I'm having the exact same problem and I'm following your advice. After formatting the SD drive, I have reset the settings to default - this works. But during the update it seams to loose connection to the drone at the exact same  time every time I try. Have you experienced that to?

Just to verify, you upgraded it via DJI GO 4 app, right? If yes, please try to upgrade again with DJI Assistant 2. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, any error code is appreciated, thank you.
2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2017-9-17 12:58
You mentioned the props turning.  This should not happen.  The drone is turned on, but not started.  Explain?

I agree. The drone might reboot but I haven't heard that it will start the motors.
2017-9-18
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 02:35
Just to verify, you upgraded it via DJI GO 4 app, right? If yes, please try to upgrade again with DJI Assistant 2. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, any error code is appreciated, thank you.

Hi DJI Thor
Thank you for your reply.
Actually I've been trying both. First the App and the many times using the assistant 2. I either get the massage in the picture below or it just stalls at 59 %.

Error

Error
2017-9-18
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-9-18 12:22
Hi DJI Thor
Actually I've been trying both. First the App and the many times using the assistant 2. I either get the massage in the picture below or it just stalls at 59 %.

I've just tried again. It stopped at 44%. The downloading and transmitting works fine, but during the updating it stalles. The program dosen't even give a massage, but stalles. The fan on the Mavic starts around the same time.It the same when I try to update the remote controller.
2017-9-18
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-18 02:35
Just to verify, you upgraded it via DJI GO 4 app, right? If yes, please try to upgrade again with DJI Assistant 2. Please keep us updated if the problem persists, any error code is appreciated, thank you. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZE-fP28htI&t=42s&list=PL8-vxWY64sBNLusG0MvxD4Dm-tX4cnvzX&index=9

Hi DJI Thor
Actually I've been trying both. First the App and the many times using the assistant 2. I either get the massage in the picture below or it just stalls.
I've made this video to show you what I am experiencing.
Hope you can help.
Best regards, Henrik

2017-9-18
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-9-18 13:18
Hi DJI Thor
Actually I've been trying both. First the App and the many times using the assistant 2. I either get the massage in the picture below or it just stalls.

There is no error code, right? Please help to export the upgrade log, upload it to Dropbox and paste the link here, below's the route, thanks.
Assisstant 2(windows): C:/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Roaming/DJI Assistant 2/upgrade_log
Assisstant 2(MAC):~/Library/Application Support/DJI Assistant 2/upgrade_log
2017-9-20
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-9-20 01:17
There is no error code, right? Please help to export the upgrade log, upload it to Dropbox and paste the link here, below's the route, thanks.
Assisstant 2(windows): C:/Users/XXXXXX/AppData/Roaming/DJI Assistant 2/upgrade_log
Assisstant 2(MAC):~/Library/Application Support/DJI Assistant 2/upgrade_log

Hi DJI Thor
Here is the link. There are 12 log files.
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8hiqn ... NwQrQGOuBXnZ-a?dl=0
2017-9-30
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-9-30 23:10
Hi DJI Thor
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/8hiqn87ib2m4g85/AAABRDs7kv3NwQrQGOuBXnZ-a?dl=0

When I open them, they are all messy code. Maybe it's my PC's issue. I will forward them to our engineer to look into. Will get back to you once I  heard something.
2017-10-9
Use props
Osee
lvl.2
Flight distance : 530758 ft
United States

Hi DJI Thor

I am pretty sure that it should not make a difference ->

I am curious whether you are connected to the internet with WiFi or hard wired network cable ?

If on WiFi maybe try using a cable .
2017-10-9
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-9 23:10
When I open them, they are all messy code. Maybe it's my PC's issue. I will forward them to our engineer to look into. Will get back to you once I  heard something.

Thank you DJI Thor - I'm realy hoping to be able to fly with my Mavic soon.

@ Osee - I'm connected via hard wired network cable.
2017-10-13
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

Osee Posted at 2017-10-9 23:31
I am pretty sure that it should not make a difference ->

I am curious whether you are connected to the internet with WiFi or hard wired network cable ?

Hi Osee - I'm connected via hard wired network cable.
2017-10-13
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Hi DJI Thor

Hi, I am sorry for keeping you waiting. I got news from the engineers. It could be the known issue at present. Please leave me with your account, I'll forward a beta for you to update first. Looking forward to your reply.
2017-10-30
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-10-30 03:30
Hi, I am sorry for keeping you waiting. I got news from the engineers. It could be the known issue at present. Please leave me with your account, I'll forward a beta for you to update first. Looking forward to your reply.

Dear DJI Thor.
Thank you - Is it correct understood that you want access to my account - login code? Can I send it to you by mail? I will try to send you a personal message with my mail adress.
I will also be online the next days. Thanks again.
2017-11-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-11-11 01:18
Dear DJI Thor.
Thank you - Is it correct understood that you want access to my account - login code? Can I send it to you by mail? I will try to send you a personal message with my mail adress.
I will also be online the next days. Thanks again.

Hi, I had forwarded the beta to the account which ended up with dk, no password is needed. Please refer to the steps below to upgrade it via the DJI Assistant 2 again.
1. Log into your DJI account.
2. Upgrade the firmware V 01.03.0813.
3. Once it's done, please press the "Record" button on RC and make sure it's recording, then start to upgrade firmware to the latest version, see if it works.
2017-11-11
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

DJI Thor Posted at 2017-11-11 03:32
Hi, I had forwarded the beta to the account which ended up with dk, no password is needed. Please refer to the steps below to upgrade it via the DJI Assistant 2 again.
1. Log into your DJI account.
2. Upgrade the firmware V 01.03.0813.

Ok thanks. I've successfully upgraded the Mavic to the beta version (see attached picture of the Firmware List), but the RC and the drone will not connect.
I've tryed to connect the RC to the computer via USB to see if I can upgrade the RC via Assistant 2, but they do not connect either.
Should I try to upgrade the drone anyway?

Firmware List

Firmware List
2017-11-11
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-11-11 09:02
Ok thanks. I've successfully upgraded the Mavic to the beta version (see attached picture of the Firmware List), but the RC and the drone will not connect.
I've tryed to connect the RC to the computer via USB to see if I can upgrade the RC via Assistant 2, but they do not connect either.
Should I try to upgrade the drone anyway?

What does the RC's screen said when you power on the RC and drone? If it says connecting, please try to relink the RC and AC. But if you can't get it relinked, please try to upgrade the RC via DJI GO 4 app, see if it helps.
2017-11-13
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

Dear DJI Thor.
The RC displays connecting, but there is no response at all. I have tried both the demonstrated relink methods.
Using the DJI GO app, when clicking the "Linking Remote Controller" I do not get the option of "Link RC? - Master or Slave. It displays "Confirm frequency settings" and all I can do i click OK.
When trying the other solution the RC does not make the sound - it just doesn't respond.. Earlier I have also tried to connect to the RC to the Assistant 2 via the USB, but without any connection made.
How can it be so complicated to upgrade my Mavic - I have not been able to use it for months.. I have since the beginning been following the official DJI instructions.
I am so glad that you have taken the time to try to help me - I hope we end up with a solution but I'm beginning to consider to send the drone back.
BR Henrik
2017-11-14
Use props
Henrik_SD
lvl.1
Denmark

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-11-14 11:38
Dear DJI Thor.
The RC displays connecting, but there is no response at all. I have tried both the demonstrated relink methods.
Using the DJI GO app, when clicking the "Linking Remote Controller" I do not get the option of "Link RC? - Master or Slave. It displays "Confirm frequency settings" and all I can do i click OK.

What will you recommend next?
2017-11-14
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator

Henrik_SD Posted at 2017-11-14 11:41
What will you recommend next?

Hi Henrik, after going through your reply above, if you are not able to connect the drone and RC even when following the instruction, please send it back. We will help to take care of it. Please fill in some info on our online repair link of our official web and then send it back. Here is the link: https://repair.dji.com/en/SelfRepair/Area
We will do our best to help this out. Thank you.

2017-11-14
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules