Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
One of those things that make you go.... Hmmmmmm....
1305 8 2018-4-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
Flight distance : 9750253 ft
United States

Had recently picked up a used P4 off of eBay to replace one that disappeared a few weeks ago and has yet to be found,  The one that I lost had a top flight distance of 31738 ft (6.01 mi) on a single charged battery, Today I decided to see how far my most recent aquisition would go... and was blown away at 37879 ft (7.18 mi)  and whats wild is that todays flight only used up 75% of the battery where the previous one used 82%
I would never have guessed that there would be that much difference in the efficiency of one P4 over another.  I know that weather, wind, ect all plays a factor in the flight time acheived however from the first flight I flew over 10 minutes with this latest bird it caught my attention that the power consumption was nothing near the previous P4.

Has anybody else experienced such a large difference in performance of 2 of the same models?

2018-4-1
Use props
ALABAMA
Captain
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

Too many variables to even think about.  One big one would be the age and number of flights on the two batteries.
2018-4-1
Use props
Labroides
Captain
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

I suspect you need to look more closely at the effect of the wind.  
Another variable is the size of the battery you used.  There are two different P4 batteries.  
Were yours the same capacity?
2018-4-1
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Impressive figures! Are you flying in a straight line?
2018-4-1
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-4-1 13:15
Too many variables to even think about.  One big one would be the age and number of flights on the two batteries.

There are definitely a lot of unknowns....  The battery I used on the 37879 ft flights was one of my older ones with 97 flights, had it about a year.   All of my batteries are the same rating..  5350mah.
2018-4-2
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

Labroides Posted at 2018-4-1 13:28
I suspect you need to look more closely at the effect of the wind.  
Another variable is the size of the battery you used.  There are two different P4 batteries.  
Were yours the same capacity?

Batteries were the same ratings... the one I used on the longer flight had 97 flights on it.  88 charges.

The thoughts about wind to me are along these lines... I pretty much fly when the winds are less than 10mph.  while that would have an affect on power consumption, the effects would be countered on the reverse trip.  I fly pretty much only in a river valley where I live. The valley runs NW to SE,  so do the winds for the most part...  most longer flights are directly into a headwind then reversed with a tailwind.

2018-4-2
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

DJI Susan Posted at 2018-4-1 19:41
Impressive figures! Are you flying in a straight line?

Not a straight line but full throttle pretty much the whole flight.

april_1_18.png
2018-4-2
Use props
DJI Susan
Administrator

Oldmaninwva Posted at 2018-4-2 01:30
Not a straight line but full throttle pretty much the whole flight.

It should be closely related to the terrain and wind. You may see different figures in various situations.
2018-4-3
Use props
Oldmaninwva
First Officer
United States

Had another opportunity to check max flight distance today....  39983 ft of flight distance.  7.57 miles... on a standard P4, Standard battery.  Ground winds were 1.5mph, calculated max winds aloft were around 9mph and gusts to 15.

This is my 3rd P4 in going on 2 years time and this one has definitely beat the other two in flight efficiency.  I am going to have to buy a higher cap battery and see what it will do.

2018-4-8
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules