Please select Into the mobile phone version | Continue to access the computer ver.
FCC CE where on earth are the borders?
953 13 2018-8-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Onbekommerd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 87178 ft
South Africa

I bought my MA in the Netherlands, so it was no surprise that it 'selected' CE mode.
I then travelled to Slovakia. I got a 'change of area' warning, clicked OK but still CE. OK, Slovakia is EU so no big surprse there.

Now I am in South Africa. Again got the 'change of area'. But I am still in CE mode (13 * 2.6GHz WiFi channels).

So my question is: is CE sort of a 'default' which is only channged when you are located in the US? Is South Africa imposing the same limits as the EU ("CE")?

I know there is a hack where you can 'fool' the MA to think it is in the US. But you need an Android phone for that and I (and most people I know) have Apple.

2018-8-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello there. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum for your query. In regards to the transmission power, that will be set automatically.
2018-8-5
Use props
Onbekommerd
lvl.3
South Africa

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-5 07:58
Hello there. Thank you for reaching DJI Forum for your query. In regards to the transmission power, that will be set automatically.

Yes Wanda, I know that! I am trying to establish what other regions apart from the EU are ‘CE country’.
2018-8-5
Use props
OneDoesNotSimply
First Officer
Flight distance : 662644 ft
United States

Curious, how do you know what mode the MA is currently in?
2018-8-5
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Onbekommerd Posted at 2018-8-5 08:28
Yes Wanda, I know that! I am trying to establish what other regions apart from the EU are ‘CE country’.

We don't actually have a specific list of countries or regions that says it has to be FCC or CE. It is automatically detected by the signal.
2018-8-5
Use props
Suren
Captain
Flight distance : 6839144 ft
South Africa

South africa is CE and it sucks, you can force FCC if you want
2018-8-5
Use props
GDL
First Officer
Flight distance : 1498789 ft
Singapore

As I know mainly US use FCC others are most CE.
2018-8-5
Use props
Ridg
First Officer
Flight distance : 232306 ft
United Kingdom

The MA can only select from the following regions

FCC
CE
SRRC and
MIC

CE seams to be the catch all if it doesn't explicitly fall into the other 3, this is a common complain and if local laws permit you could easily trick the drone into FCC mode.

Also each time you start the drone in a new country it will ask you to change even if the mode isn't going to e.g. if you went from Netherlands to Belgium etc
2018-8-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 2993497 ft
United Kingdom

Onbekommerd Posted at 2018-8-5 08:28

It's actually the opposite - Its basically FCC or CE which means "rest of world".

Outside the US you're going to be on CE mode.  Most countries have agreed on standard powers for that band and most agreed on a lower power than the FCC allows.
There are also SRRC,MIC and other regions but these also use CE power requirements.

FCC is the outlier here.  So not in america == "CE" power.
2018-8-6
Use props
Onbekommerd
lvl.3
South Africa

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-6 02:23
It's actually the opposite - Its basically FCC or CE which means "rest of world".

Outside the US you're going to be on CE mode.  Most countries have agreed on standard powers for that band and most agreed on a lower power than the FCC allows.

Thank you, that is very helpful information and it explains what I am experiencing.
Now I just need to find an Android phone to do the hack (and remember to say 'cancel' or 'no' or whatever the case may be every time I start the drone).
2018-8-6
Use props
gnirtS
Captain
Flight distance : 2993497 ft
United Kingdom

Or just stay legal?
They came to those power decisions for good reasons.

2018-8-6
Use props
Jason WAI
First Officer
Flight distance : 1292785 ft
Hong Kong

DJI Wanda Posted at 2018-8-5 07:58

Good to know it will be set automatically.
2018-8-6
Use props
Onbekommerd
lvl.3
South Africa

gnirtS Posted at 2018-8-6 03:04
Or just stay legal?
They came to those power decisions for good reasons.

One wonders about these 'good reasons'. Why would the higher power be safe in the US but not in South Africa? Especially if the low power (CE) is the default and not neccessarily a requirement of the country concerned.
As long as I can use the 2.6GHz WiFi band I am ok with CE in VLOS.
But if - due to interference - I have to use 5.8GHz, my range gets ridiculously low and it complains continuously and I have had several disconnects at 250m and less.
I would much rather be legal (and not have all these workarounds). But usability has its requirements too.
2018-8-6
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Suren Posted at 2018-8-5 19:40
South africa is CE and it sucks, you can force FCC if you want

Hi. Users cannot switch between FCC and CE manually. The remote controller will enable FCC or CE mode based on your location in accordance with local laws and regulations.
2018-8-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules