Another Phantom 4 Pro falls out the sky and DJI not interested
1196 20 2018-10-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
fans600cb799
lvl.1
Flight distance : 1032933 ft
United Kingdom

It really does break my heart to post this.

I happily owned and sang the praises of the Phantom 4 Pro for 18 months, I was so happy I even purchased the Mavic 2 Pro on release day.
Sunday night my Phantom disappeared from the sky, 250 feet 44% battery and 17 satellites.
I was hopeful in DJI supporting me having spent so much money and then having engineers.

I do know it was out side of the 12 month warranty, but I have just received an email saying DJI will not even look at my case.
This is extremely disappointing and I do not think it unreasonable to except some after care after spending almost $4000 total.

I have had the flight logs looked over by very capable people on the Phantom forum and can find no pilot error.

I find this very discouraging as I now have a brand new Mavic 2 pro that i am not confident in and I now know DJI do not stand behind their products or customers.

I wish I knew this before investing in DJI, I did so on brand recognition but my god was I wrong.

For contrast, I shoot with Nikon cameras and I fully expect them to work for years if not decades. Nikon stands behind their product.
It saddens me that DJI do not.
2018-10-2
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

I find this very discouraging as I now have a brand new Mavic 2 pro that i am not confident in and I now know DJI do not stand behind their products or customers.

What I find discouraging is the number of people who think they're entitled to refunds or free repairs for things they buy and hold and use past warranty.

Sorry for your loss.

If you want, you can upload your log and then post your link back here and the membership will take a look and try to assess a reason for the drop:  http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/

Good luck
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I wasn’t expecting a replacement sent out, I understand how a warranty works.

I am however surprised in no interest in communication at all.
Does not show interest in the customer or identifying patterns or issues with their product.

I will upload from the PC tonight.
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/33PJ0WX5YEI9YMHVKB6N/

I hope copying the link in works

Thanks in advance
2018-10-2
Use props
RMJovo
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1716240 ft
United States

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-2 14:42
I wasn’t expecting a replacement sent out, I understand how a warranty works.

I am however surprised in no interest in communication at all.

You would think for quality control that at least they would examine the logs just to gather information and trends keep a data base of problems so they could head off potential parts or manufacturing problems.
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I completely agree,

If I had known this was their way of operating I would never have became a customer.
I have the Mavic 2 pro that I am reluctant to fly and also on principle that they do not value their customers.

The money is to hard earned to have the attitude that the drones only last 18 months then buy another
2018-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-2 15:15
I completely agree,

If I had known this was their way of operating I would never have became a customer.
It sounds like you are being quite unrealistic.

WIth electronic equipment used outdoors in potentially harsh environments, there's always a possibility that a component may fail for all sorts of reasons.
DJI give a 12 month warranty which is standard and outside that you are on your own.

Most of their drones will last way past the warranty period but there will be the odd one that fails earlier.
You just happened to be unlucky.

DJi sell hundreds of thousands of Phantoms.
It's completely unrealistic to expect them to take a personal interest in the fate of each one past their warranty period.

ps  Nikon make great cameras but they won't give you warranty service on an old camera.
They are happy to work on an old camera and charge you for the service.
Inside the warranty period DJI do stand behind the products they make and if you had been abe to retrieve your Phantom, they also would have been happy to work on it for a fee - just like Nikon.
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

I appreciate how the warranty works and the sheer volume of units sold.
I also appreciate that I am both financially and emotionally invested in this, where as I do agree with you in the black and white of a warranty. Perhaps you would expect even a small interest from DJI if it was your drone?

Of course Nikon are the same warranty, as any company.
However, their brand recognition and quality matters to them. The smaller things such as how they deal with customers or issues speaks volumes.
Having 3 drones from DJI including their latest release while been treated with such disinterest is disappointing from a company.
2018-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-2 16:04
I appreciate how the warranty works and the sheer volume of units sold.
I also appreciate that I am both financially and emotionally invested in this, where as I do agree with you in the black and white of a warranty. Perhaps you would expect even a small interest from DJI if it was your drone?

Perhaps you would expect even a small interest from DJI if it was your drone?
If my drone was in warranty I would.
But my P4 pros are both outside warranty now and I understand that just like any other product (even my Nikon cameras), I can't expect the manufacturer to have any concern about what happens to them.
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

As they stated to me, they have engineers that can look at the logs to help determine cause.
I am not qualified to make a conclusion from the logs and as I have other drones I do not conclusively know if it was malfunction or user error.
I am not interested in pointing the finger, I want the answer even if I am at fault so I can adjust my methods moving forward.
If I was no longer a customer I would perhaps understand, but to be denied any sort of help in understanding something that could help prevent the same thing happening again just does not sit right with me especially with the costs involved
2018-10-2
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-2 16:14
As they stated to me, they have engineers that can look at the logs to help determine cause.
I am not qualified to make a conclusion from the logs and as I have other drones I do not conclusively know if it was malfunction or user error.
I am not interested in pointing the finger, I want the answer even if I am at fault so I can adjust my methods moving forward.

I'm not sure who told you that or if they knew it was out of warranty but DJI don't communicate well and rarely come back with any real explanation.
And since it takes time and effort to do an analysis, it's not realistc to expect their tech people to do that for everyone that wants help.
That's what forums are for ... and besides you get better and more detailed explanations from the forum folks that can look at flight data anyway.
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI told me when I first contacted them.
That they had engineers and people to help identify the issue, when they found out it was out of warranty they refused to help.
So I am none the wiser, they could help but choose not to.
That is poor customer care, as I could potentially repeat the same thing with the Mavic 2 if it was pilot error
2018-10-2
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Hi, I am sorry for your loss, that must be frustrated for you. However, we are terribly sorry to tell that if the drone is out of warranty, we may not be able to provide the data analysis service, no data analysis, we are not able to tell you the reason of this accident.
In your case, if it is convenient, you can provide me with your contact info and the ticket number, I will forward your case to a higher department to assist.
Besides, have you tried to find your drone via the Find My Drone function? If the drone can be retrieved and you can get the data from the drone, you can also refer to this tutorial and try to locate the issue of the accident. Thank you for your attention.
2018-10-2
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Thor Posted at 2018-10-2 19:43
Hi, I am sorry for your loss, that must be frustrated for you. However, we are terribly sorry to tell that if the drone is out of warranty, we may not be able to provide the data analysis service, no data analysis, we are not able to tell you the reason of this accident.
In your case, if it is convenient, you can provide me with your contact info and the ticket number, I will forward your case to a higher department to assist.
Besides, have you tried to find your drone via the Find My Drone function? If the drone can be retrieved and you can get the data from the drone, you can also refer to this tutorial and try to locate the issue of the accident. Thank you for your attention.

Thank you for the reply

I understand the drone is out of warranty but as far as I can tell this was not down to pilot error and I am not confident in flying my Mavic 2 pro.
Without any support from DJI and losing a drone through no fault of my own, leaves me in a difficult position.
I did use the find my drone aid and spend hours at the area, even contacting local restaurants to check security cameras out side on the street.
As my flight log shows the drone disconnected at 250 feet without warning.

My number is #1390045

Kind regards
2018-10-3
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-3 03:04
Thank you for the reply

I understand the drone is out of warranty but as far as I can tell this was not down to pilot error and I am not confident in flying my Mavic 2 pro.

Translation:
I understand the drone is out of warranty but I want DJI to totally change the rules for me. and treat this as a warranty case.
2018-10-3
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Labroides Posted at 2018-10-3 05:00
Translation:
I understand the drone is out of warranty but I want DJI to totally change the rules for me. and treat this as a warranty case.

There is no need for translation i used clear English.

In none of my posts did I ask, suggest or hint at a replacement.

2018-10-3
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

I think there might be some confusion here so let me just make sure this is correct

1. You are saying you know 100% that it's out of warranty so DJI is not required to do anything.

2. You are aware and are not asking DJI for a free replacement or refund at all

3. Its confirmed it's most likely a fault of the drone and not pilot

4. All you want DJI to do is review the flight log and data for you to give you some closure on what happened and thays it.

Is that correct?  If so you can actually load your flight logs to https://www.phantomhelp.com/logviewer/Upload/

That will ket us review the entire logs so you do not have to worry about DJI and we can give you closure on what happened so you can call it good.
2018-10-3
Use props
fans600cb799
lvl.1
United Kingdom

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-2 14:55
http://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/33PJ0WX5YEI9YMHVKB6N/

I hope copying the link in works

I copied the log here

I hope the link works.

I am looking for as much information as possible because it will directly effect my procedures for going forward
2018-10-3
Use props
Hedsic
lvl.4
Flight distance : 478757 ft

fans600cb799 Posted at 2018-10-3 08:21
I copied the log here

I hope the link works.

Seems like a very reasonable request. I would want to now the exact same information that way I knew what to look out for on my other drones in hopes of catching it before an accident happens.
2018-10-3
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Thank you for the reply

Hi Richard, thanks for providing further info. Firstly, I'm sorry to hear about the loss. I was able to review the ticket and can confirm that the info provided is all based from the Aftersales Policy that you've agreed on upon purchasing our product. If the unit is already out of the limited warranty period, we really can't do data analysis anymore to figure out what caused the incident. You can refer on this link for the Aftersales Policy: https://www.dji.com/service/policy?site=brandsite&from=footer
2018-10-3
Use props
DJI Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

Thank you for the reply

Thanks for your info, I had also helped to escalate your case to the higher department, we will have someone to contact you regarding your case, too. Thank you for your patience.
2018-10-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules