P3P Should I upgrade or leave it alone ?
2140 27 2018-10-11
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

"App" is currently 3.1.43
"Version" is currently 1.5.30
"R.C." is currently 1.9.3

2018-10-11
Use props
w1r3ds
lvl.2

Australia

I would leave it be, mine has been out of date for over a year and it still fly's without any problems
2018-10-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Updates happen, glitches are fixed, new features are sometimes introduced, better camera options.

Updates are seriously worth the effort.

I have done every Firmware Update, since the Phantom 3 was released, and never experienced one single issue.

I only regret iOS version lost the Battery Life segment.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-11
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

Thanks for the reminder, I have to put mine back together & haven't got this far yet.
2018-10-11
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

sky wombat Posted at 2018-10-11 23:23
Thanks for the reminder, I have to put mine back together & haven't got this far yet.

What was it taken down for?

Yes, you need to get it up, again. ;-)

RedHotPoker
2018-10-11
Use props
sky wombat
First Officer
Flight distance : 1454078 ft
  • >>>
Australia

RedHotPoker Posted at 2018-10-11 23:27
What was it taken down for?

Yes, you need to get it up, again. ;-)

a tree moved in front of it quite some time ago. I bought the P3A & P4P while I repaired it
2018-10-12
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer
Flight distance : 135299 ft
United States

If it fly's without issue, Leave it!
2018-10-12
Use props
RicardoGray
Second Officer
Flight distance : 4356421 ft
United States

sky wombat Posted at 2018-10-12 00:40
a tree moved in front of it quite some time ago. I bought the P3A & P4P while I repaired it

I know a lot of users are fearful of upgrading, and rightfully so. But I am like RHP, I have always stayed with the latest stuff and haven't had any issues. Not to say that it can't happen though. But if you are familiar with the procedure, and understand what is going on, and what to do if somethings goes wrong, you should be fine. I have had multiple phantoms and helped friends as well with upgrading. Make sure you have a full battery, and let the process finish completely. Know what to look for when the process is done, so you don't power it off before it's done.
Now, talking out of both sides of my mouth here...……….if your phantom is flying ok, there probably isn't much to gain by upgrading. Maybe a few bugfixes and of course updating those pesky NFZ databases, and of course no more getting that message!
It is truly a mixed opinion and one you will have to make for yourself. Good luck either way.
2018-10-12
Use props
ALABAMA
First Officer
Flight distance : 10442687 ft
United States

It's just a gamble.  Have updated times with no issues and once where it bricked everything.
2018-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

ALABAMA Posted at 2018-10-12 05:49
It's just a gamble.  Have updated times with no issues and once where it bricked everything.

I like throwing bricks, in the heat of the moment. Haha

RedHotPoker
2018-10-12
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

RicardoGray Posted at 2018-10-12 05:40
I know a lot of users are fearful of upgrading, and rightfully so. But I am like RHP, I have always stayed with the latest stuff and haven't had any issues. Not to say that it can't happen though. But if you are familiar with the procedure, and understand what is going on, and what to do if somethings goes wrong, you should be fine. I have had multiple phantoms and helped friends as well with upgrading. Make sure you have a full battery, and let the process finish completely. Know what to look for when the process is done, so you don't power it off before it's done.
Now, talking out of both sides of my mouth here...……….if your phantom is flying ok, there probably isn't much to gain by upgrading. Maybe a few bugfixes and of course updating those pesky NFZ databases, and of course no more getting that message!
It is truly a mixed opinion and one you will have to make for yourself. Good luck either way.

I beleve the small percent of all drones affected negatively by updates is minuscule, in comparison to the vast numbers that are sold.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-12
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hi, thank you for reaching DJI Forum. We suggest to update the version of your P3P to updated version v1.11.20. If you have any concern please let us know. Thank you for your support.
2018-10-13
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Thanks for everyone's opinion, suggestion and reply. I have upgraded. Now, no longer seeing the "update firmware" message at top when starting the Go App. Seems to work ok inside the living room. I will have to take the contraption outdoors and try it.

"Version" is currently 1.11.20

2018-10-13
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Air/America Posted at 2018-10-13 12:12
Thanks for everyone's opinion, suggestion and reply. I have upgraded. Now, no longer seeing the "update firmware" message at top when starting the Go App. Seems to work ok inside the living room. I will have to take the contraption outdoors and try it.

Please let us know, the outcome once you fly.

Thanks for asking about updates...

Have a safe flight.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-13
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13926112 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

I always update FW (on IOS)
2018-10-14
Use props
Markmark
New

I have updated and now RC Signal is lost
2018-10-14
Use props
Cobraman
lvl.1
United States

Never update if you can avoid it ... this is a lesson learned the hard way when I got my first DJI. You don't need it. Any additions, if yours is running OK, aren't worth the risk. Leave it alone and just fly it.
2018-10-14
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer

I wouldn't update either, hope the poster doesn't have any issues.
2018-10-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Markmark Posted at 2018-10-14 07:52
I have updated and now RC Signal is lost

Rebind it. Nothing to it.

Relinking the aircraft and controller is a simple task.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Cobraman Posted at 2018-10-14 09:01
Never update if you can avoid it ... this is a lesson learned the hard way when I got my first DJI. You don't need it. Any additions, if yours is running OK, aren't worth the risk. Leave it alone and just fly it.

He had already done so.

With no problems to report.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-14
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Canada

Phantom One Posted at 2018-10-14 10:34
I wouldn't update either, hope the poster doesn't have any issues.

It’s a minor gamble, but very few encounter difficulties.

RedHotPoker
2018-10-14
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer

Yes, I see that.
2018-10-14
Use props
Phantom One
First Officer

and it's not that I'm worried about issues during install, it's the restrictions they keep adding.  
2018-10-14
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Here is a fascinating post I just ran across this morning in the other forum regarding the analysis of signal attenuation on a P3P.  I don't believe this kind of detailed analysis has ever been done on a DJI device  before.  This compares signal attenuation variances between AC FW versions starting with 1.05 (1.5).  Note that this analysis is only done regarding the boards in the AC and has nothing to do directly with the RC.  The member hasn't done an analysis of the RC (yet?).  If I am understanding this correctly, this chart below is showing the deliberate attenuation (weakening) of the incoming signal being received from the RC to the AC.  The incoming signal from the RC is received by the AC and then weakened before being sent to the receiver.  This, of course, would result in perceived signal loss and early fail-safe.  What is attenuation?  It's the deliberate weakening of a signal at the receiving end- usually done to solve the problem of a transmission which is too strong for a receiver - usually because it's too close to a transmitter.

Interestingly, it appears the attenuation changes mostly targets those in CE mode.  FCC mode is mostly unscathed and even seems to benefit slightly from the upgrade depending on the board/channel.  The analysis shows that there are only attenuation changes when moving from AC FW versions 1.07 (1.7) and below to AC FW versions 1.08 (1.8) and above.  Also, it appears there is no attenuation differences in the AC between FCC and CE modes prior to FW 1.8, but remember, the signal strength was likely diluted from the controller in CE mode, so you likely still wouldn't enjoy full FCC mode distance if you had an older AC FW version in CE mode.  But it would help.

Obviously, this data has negative FW upgrade implications to all DJI devices - not just to the P3P.  

https://phantompilots.com/thread ... 39237/#post-1400396

To topic, should you upgrade?  I still like Oso's advice from the other forum.  Let everybody else upgrade first.  Wait a bit and read the forums and look for possible upgrade problems.  Make the decision based on the info you gather in the following weeks.  

Good luck

credit:  quaddamage at phantompilots

2018-10-19
Use props
Mark The Droner
First Officer
Flight distance : 2917 ft
United States

Here's some good info re FW upgrading your P3A/P:  https://phantompilots.com/thread ... .87175/#post-901549

Air/America - note that Oso recommends moving up from FW 1.5.  IIRC, there is a risk of the battery shutting itself off mid flight when the battery is not above a certain temperature.  Moving up from 1.5 will solve that problem.  Or you could just make extra double sure your battery is nice and toasty, preferably at least 25C, before any flight.  Good luck.
2018-10-19
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

Thanks for the replies and suggestions. The drone is currently set as;

Looks like it is working well in the living room. I will have to take it outdoors soon if some good weather ever shows up.

2018-10-19
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

The drone is currently set as;

"App" is currently 3.1.46

Also, I have three batteries,

two batteries on the DJI-GO Aircraft Battery/Advanced Settings/Details Page reports as "Current Status"  "Connection OK"
one battery on the DJI-GO
Aircraft Battery/Advanced Settings/Details Page reports as "Current Status"  "Self-discharge in storage"

What is wrong with that and what could be the problem? All three are DJI OEM batteries.

2018-11-6
Use props
Air/America
Second Officer

United States

The current version numbers seem to perform Ok and the batteries all seem to report simarily.

2018-11-17
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules