Airmap vs DJI Geo Zones
2935 10 2018-10-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Quade
lvl.3
Flight distance : 322871 ft
Canada

It looks like there's a discrepancy between Airmap and DJI Geozones.

I set my UAV Forecast settings to the legal limits in Canada and it matches Airmap,  but Geo Zones are not the same. It shows I'm in an Enhanced Airspace (Recreational Airport) which is further away and is in fact legal to fly without authorization.

Note, that I am able to fly it is not blocked.  

Please advise.

Quade
2018-10-15
Use props
A CW
Captain
Flight distance : 13877205 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Green areas stated as enhanced are OK to fly in - it just means that you need to be even more careful as you are probably not that far from a yellow zone - whereby real restrictions start to happen. You will also need to tap a pop up box to confirm your awareness and responsibility. You can however switch off enhanced warning zones in the app before take off too.
2018-10-15
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-10-15 11:36
Green areas stated as enhanced are OK to fly in - it just means that you need to be even more careful as you are probably not that far from a yellow zone - whereby real restrictions start to happen. You will also need to tap a pop up box to confirm your awareness and responsibility. You can however switch off enhanced warning zones in the app before take off too.

Thanks, would be nice to have a legend in the app for what the colors mean.  UAV is the only app I found that has a legend, but doesn't show Class C airspace (in my city at least).

2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quade Posted at 2018-10-16 04:08
Thanks, would be nice to have a legend in the app for what the colors mean.  UAV is the only app I found that has a legend, but doesn't show Class C airspace (in my city at least).

There is a legend in the geo fencing section of the app - under the academy
2018-10-16
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-10-16 07:29

Hmmmm, can't seem to find it. Can you give me the steps to find it? Is it in one of the videos?
2018-10-16
Use props
A CW
Captain
  • >>>
United Kingdom

Quade Posted at 2018-10-16 07:37
Hmmmm, can't seem to find it. Can you give me the steps to find it? Is it in one of the videos?

This is an old thread but says it all
https://forum.dji.com/thread-57403-1-1.html
2018-10-16
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Belgium

A CW Posted at 2018-10-16 07:29

Never mind ...I found it. For others, it's in the Unlocking Geo Fencing video.
2018-10-16
Use props
Northwood
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2148596 ft
Canada

DJI has my home in a warning zone, but UAV, Airmap do not.  There is almost a 1km discrepancy.  I use caution anyway.
2018-10-16
Use props
KlooGee
First Officer
Flight distance : 16783757 ft
  • >>>
United States

Quade Posted at 2018-10-16 04:08
Thanks, would be nice to have a legend in the app for what the colors mean.  UAV is the only app I found that has a legend, but doesn't show Class C airspace (in my city at least).

Here is a direct link to DJI's geo-map site that has a legend.  It also allows you to explore your region via this site so that you can try to plan ahead properly rather than wait to find out what zone you are in once you are out in the wild.

https://www.dji.com/flysafe/geo-map
2018-10-17
Use props
DJI Tony
Administrator

Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. There are types of restriction area when using our geo-zone map. You can check the details below.

Warning Zones. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message.

Enhanced Warning Zones. In these Zones, you will be prompted by GEO at the time of flight to unlock the zone using the same steps as in an Authorization Zone, but you do not require a verified account or an internet connection at the time of your flight.

Authorization Zones. In these Zones, which appear yellow in the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning and flight is limited by default. Authorization Zones may be unlocked by authorized users using a DJI verified account.

Restricted Zones. In these Zones, which appear red the DJI GO app, users; will be prompted with a warning and flight is prevented.

Hope this information would clarify your concern on our geo zone map. Thank you for the support.
2018-10-17
Use props
Quade
lvl.3
Belgium

DJI Tony Posted at 2018-10-17 15:09
Hi, Thanks for your inquiry. There are types of restriction area when using our geo-zone map. You can check the details below.

Warning Zones. In these Zones, which may not necessarily appear on the DJI GO map, users will be prompted with a warning message.

thank you for your response, but what concerns me is that for Montreal,Canada, Airmap shows Class C airspace for most of the island, but DJI Go App does not.  In fact, I flew my drone inadvertantly in Class C because I wasn't using AirMap.  Shouldn't DJI GeoZones reflect Class C airspace?
2018-10-18
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules