702 7 2019-3-4
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

Not going to be "mad" about this...
but going to share for anyone who's on-the-fence with regards to repair needs for a #DJI drone. Anything is possible... I might be getting a "factory new" replacement, but not very likely.... here's my story; I got a New in box Mavic Pro (1) for Christmas.... Maybe 12 to 15 days I have used it.. maybe. I had a RTH accident 8 feet from landing and the flat ribbon cable that connects to the gimbal "snapped" broke from the gimbal. All else, camera feed, motors, propellers, legs, battery, all components in perfect condition. (SEE PHOTO -- THIS IS PICTURE OF IT "BROKEN") I looked around for repair options and nearest repair shop is over 200 miles from my home. Thinking it would be a common replacement item and also thinking an easy job for DJI REPAIR to perform I looked at their website and decided the gimbal parts, most under $20 bucks that the cable and repair would not be cheap, but $100, may $125 to get repaired. So I sent my baby away.... the repair quote was $205.20 for what I sent in... a single broken cable. Anyway... I balked at that price and got a little help, so full disclosure I paid $175 to get "my" MP repaired... Nope.... I haven't got it yet, but it is already known by the shipping information that it is a different serial number. Doubt they "re-number" mine, and it would seem obvious I am getting a different one back for sure. New? I'd be really surprised... looking at the forums and reading a lot, there is not a concrete "refurbished" serial number marking, besides, if this a repaired one somebody else sent in... it wouldn't have an "r" necessary either.... Ok.... to my point and the reason for this long post; if you get attached to things like a $1K drone like I tend do and feel like you might not feel great about not getting the one you came with back from a repair.... you might consider going the distance to find a "local." I do have hope that what I get back in the next couple of days will be new or new-like condition, and after connecting it to my controller and phone all is "right" in the world and I can get back to the most fun hobby I have had in a long time and it continues to fly good as new for years to come. I really love the DJI products and think they make an amazing product... I was a bit naive with the repair process and did expect a better cost and return of my actual drone w/ it at 99% new condition.

"BROKEN"

"BROKEN"
2019-3-4
Use props
DJI Diana
Administrator
Flight distance : 2408 ft

Hi there. Sorry to read the frustrations you had. I will formally ask and coordinate this to the team that currently handles your concern. We appreciate your patience. Thank you.
2019-3-4
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

many factors to why you may get a refurb over getting your own back..   but first the reason not going to usually send you a new unit and rather will send refurb is usually because its most cost effective method.  and personally, while i do see why this is a point of contention you just spent $1000 of your own money on a drone or got a drone worth $1000 bones... i personally dont mind a refurb because it means DJI has fix and revised and tested the unit being shipped back.. or that's how supposed to be, every refurb unit should get manually tested after manual repairs are done.  where as new units are more automated and chances something gets missed are higher.    most of the time you wouldn't know the differance between new and refurb, in fact i would bet you if no one told you you would think its a new unit.  

now back to listing why dji would like replace your unit with a refurb:

1. is speed, much faster if they get you unit to then inspect it and verify it then toss a refurb out the door to you vs making you wait for them to make sure no other damage and meets their requirements and testing..

2. is the type of repair and how involved the repair is.. camera repairs on mavic pro (1) are not difficult but extremely tedious and requires them to open up the chassis of the drone and usually replace multiple parts, for one cable..or more likely the entire unit gets replaced...

3.  cost, age and product volume:  mavic pro (1) is not a new product even if your mavic pro was new to you, originally released in 2016.  it maybe more cost effective to not even repair your mavic pro but to toss you a replacement and strip yours down for parts for other repairs..

4.  revisions..  your mavic pro may have been new in store or online from a retailer who is good about things but its possible it is older stock several revisions back with problems they solved and fixed in hardware many months or years ago and instead of shipping you yours back with a known fault may just come right back in again anyway, they send you a refurb unit instead..
2019-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
Flight distance : 9827923 ft
  • >>>
Ireland

HereForTheBeer Posted at 3-4 15:40
many factors to why you may get a refurb over getting your own back..   but first the reason not going to usually send you a new unit and rather will send refurb is usually because its most cost effective method.  and personally, while i do see why this is a point of contention you just spent $1000 of your own money on a drone or got a drone worth $1000 bones... i personally dont mind a refurb because it means DJI has fix and revised and tested the unit being shipped back.. or that's how supposed to be, every refurb unit should get manually tested after manual repairs are done.  where as new units are more automated and chances something gets missed are higher.    most of the time you wouldn't know the differance between new and refurb, in fact i would bet you if no one told you you would think its a new unit.  

now back to listing why dji would like replace your unit with a refurb:

I fully agree with you, as long as I’ve been around here, I have seen so many with problems with new drones one thing after another.
Refurbs I may have seen a couple max , that have had problems, I also believe refurbs are manually checked to make certain that they are ready for use.
As someone who has had a replacement drone Mavic Pro , from my experience over 14 months ago drone was perfect and still flies well to this day .
2019-3-4
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Hey bjs, one thing might suit you is if you are getting different drone back, on activating you will then be allowed to purchase care refresh, which will give you some peace of mind during you first12 months and you will also be entitled to purchase for a second 12 months when that’s finished .
2019-3-5
Use props
HereForTheBeer
First Officer
Flight distance : 5381368 ft
  • >>>
United States

hallmark007 Posted at 3-5 10:50
Hey bjs, one thing might suit you is if you are getting different drone back, on activating you will then be allowed to purchase care refresh, which will give you some peace of mind during you first12 months and you will also be entitled to purchase for a second 12 months when that’s finished .

and if you purchased care before, you can usually transfer free to new aircraft...assuming haven't exceeded the limit and still fresh enough.  
2019-3-5
Use props
Bjs_express
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1481496 ft
United States

So... I got a Mavic Pro back... from all apperence it looks "new" to me.  Paired, tested and all looks good.  The fact my original was a build date compared to one they sent me is newer by 15 months... I technically if not actually got a much newer Mavic Pro; all said, I paid new only $550 for mine and paying another $175 to get a replacement... $725 is still an awesome deal on an amazing drone.  Good luck to all and hope no need for repairs anytime soon for anyone reading this.
2019-3-5
Use props
hallmark007
Captain
  • >>>
Ireland

Bjs_express Posted at 3-5 12:10
So... I got a Mavic Pro back... from all apperence it looks "new" to me.  Paired, tested and all looks good.  The fact my original was a build date compared to one they sent me is newer by 15 months... I technically if not actually got a much newer Mavic Pro; all said, I paid new only $550 for mine and paying another $175 to get a replacement... $725 is still an awesome deal on an amazing drone.  Good luck to all and hope no need for repairs anytime soon for anyone reading this.[view_image][view_image]

So All in all it looks like a great result , and a good turn around , thank you for sharing your experience, I’m sure it will encourage others not to be listening to the Naysayers who continually try to cause hysteria and frightening others from doing the right thing when returning drones for repair.
It might be worth checking out care refresh for the new drone.

You should be up and running soon fly safe and good luck .
2019-3-5
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules