Unresponsive + crash
1734 19 2020-4-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
Flight distance : 151220 ft
United States

Was flying my new (less than a week old Mavic mini) In a park over a small pond. I wasn't very high or far. Maybe 70 feet high? I started getting a wind warning so I lowered a bit. The drone then kept going lower on its own. I increased altitude and it held, but then kept going down on its own.

Eventually it crashed into some trees. I couldn't get the motor to start again because it was blocked by the branches. I have a pretty good idea of where it landed but unfortunately cannot access the area since access was blocked due to the health pandemic.

At this point what options do I have? I read other reports of similar activity happening on these forums. I am not sure if I'll be able to recoup the drone or not. It wasn't particularly windy and I had about 30% battery left when it stopped responding.
2020-4-7
Use props
Guorium
Second Officer
Flight distance : 513061 ft
Australia

You can upload the log to phantom help and people will see the data recorded.
2020-4-7
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
United States

Thanks. How can I download the log data?
2020-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

wee.minidrone Posted at 4-7 17:47
Thanks. How can I download the log data?

Go to: https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/Upload/
... where you'll find instructions.
That will give a report you can post a link for the report here.
Or just post the .txt file.
2020-4-7
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
United States

https://www.phantomhelp.com/LogViewer/E80BB28X9KT19RSOVHHF

Please let me know if this works.
2020-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

It works.  Unfortunately your Mini didn't.

Your Mini was showing difficulty maintaining altitude at 8:24.5.
You gave it throttle from 8:26.2 to try to make it climb but the uncommanded descent continued.

At 8:35 it came good (for a few seconds) but was losing altitude again at 8:37.4.
Full throttle from 8:42.4 had no effect until 8:45.5 but at 8:52.4 the drone was descending again despite throttle input

From 9:06.4 you gave it full throttle again and the descent continued until the end of data at 9:18.3.

This flight shows the disaster that the uncommanded descent problem is.
The data should be clear evidence for a warranty replacement.

But if I was you, I'd demand my money back, because I wouldn't want to fly one of these lemons again.
Why doesn't DJI do a thing about it?
It's been obvious for months that the Mini is not safe to fly.
2020-4-7
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
United States

Thanks for your analysis. What's the best way to initiate a warranty claim? And do you think it would cover the SD card as well (probably not I'm sure but worth asking)
2020-4-7
Use props
Labroides
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Australia

wee.minidrone Posted at 4-7 19:00
Thanks for your analysis. What's the best way to initiate a warranty claim? And do you think it would cover the SD card as well (probably not I'm sure but worth asking)

Synch your flight data (upload to DJI's server so they can see it).
Then open a chat with their online help people to get things started and they should do the rest.
Feel free to copy any of my analysis that's helpful.
2020-4-7
Use props
GaryDoug
First Officer
Flight distance : 1264639 ft
  • >>>
United States

Don't quote me on this...but I would sneak over there in the dark with a flashlight and your remote. Activate the "find my drone" feature and see if you can retrieve it. It doesn't look like it's that far (143 feet).
Never mind. I see there is a wall AND a fence.
2020-4-7
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
United States

Thanks. I agree it was not very far from where I launched, but unfortunately it's a fenced area and the gates were all padlocked with signs to keep out. I didn't want to risk a trespassing charge to (try) to recover the drone (I have a feeling it is stuck up in a tree, so even if I can get access I am not sure if I'll be able to get it down in 1 piece).  

I am going to reach out to the city tomorrow to see if they can give me access so I can make an attempt to recover the drone, but given that my city has been hit pretty hard with coronavirus, I am guessing the response will be a flat "no"
2020-4-7
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

Hi there, we are sorry about the accident. Please kindly contact our support at the link below to open a case and send the drone in, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause if the drone is under warranty. And we will provide you with the corresponding offer based on the analysis result. http://www.dji.com/support
2020-4-8
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 12225059 ft
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-8 01:46
Hi there, we are sorry about the accident. Please kindly contact our support at the link below to open a case and send the drone in, we'll submit a data analysis to find out the cause if the drone is under warranty. And we will provide you with the corresponding offer based on the analysis result. http://www.dji.com/support

Hi Natalia,

Do you understand that many MM users, i am one of them, are afraid of flying their Mini !!  This is not the first uncontrolled descend wich ends in a loss of a DJI drone.

So please open up your communication to your users and explain what DJI is going to do about this problem.

cheers
JJB
2020-4-8
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 4-8 02:43
Hi Natalia,

Do you understand that many MM users, i am one of them, are afraid of flying their Mini !!  This is not the first uncontrolled descend wich ends in a loss of a DJI drone.

Hi there, I have replied to your post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-212302-1-1.html, thanks.
2020-4-9
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

DJI Natalia Posted at 4-9 00:53
Hi there, I have replied to your post: https://forum.dji.com/thread-212302-1-1.html, thanks.

Thanks Natalia,

But DJI has enough data already from all users to know what`s wrong with your Mavic Mini.
No need for asking version and firmware, its all in the data wich is synchronized with DJI servers.

My MM performs well, apart from one mishap.

As i can reproduce flight performance, so can DJI.

Fly in sport mode low height in full speed > MM will climb
Fly in sport mode and switch form fully fwd aft etc, rise and climb few meters
With more than average wind, hover-yaw turn your MM and see what is happening.

I cannot reproduce uncontrolled descends....this is the major problem to solve !!

So we all wait for answers and solutions from DJI.

cheers
JJB

cheers
JJB

2020-4-9
Use props
DJI Natalia
Administrator

JJB* Posted at 4-9 10:45
Thanks Natalia,

But DJI has enough data already from all users to know what`s wrong with your Mavic Mini.

Hi JJB, I will forward your feedback to the related team. Should there anything else I can assist you with, please feel free to let me know. Best regards!
2020-4-10
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

JJB* Posted at 4-8 02:43
Hi Natalia,

Do you understand that many MM users, i am one of them, are afraid of flying their Mini !!  This is not the first uncontrolled descend wich ends in a loss of a DJI drone.

JJB's video is a good evidence of an issue with the Mini. I've also grounded my mini until further notice. This thing might fall in the middle of flight and hit a kid. It's not safe!
2020-4-10
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
United States

Update: confirmed to be a warranty issue and will be replaced. But will have to severely limit the drone's usage until the underlying issue is fixed, which is disappointing.
2020-4-10
Use props
JJB*
Core User of DJI
  • >>>
Netherlands

wee.minidrone Posted at 4-10 04:06
Update: confirmed to be a warranty issue and will be replaced. But will have to severely limit the drone's usage until the underlying issue is fixed, which is disappointing.

Good news for you, but indeed as long as DJI has not solve this major issue....

Had 2 flights yesterday, still with the original props. From 100% to 5% with lots of full power demands. not a single issue.

So is my MM safe to fly ?  i really don`t know.

cheers
JJB
2020-4-10
Use props
Bloodied_Mini
lvl.4
Flight distance : 145361 ft
Malaysia

wee.minidrone Posted at 4-10 04:06

Thanks for the update. Still, we must watch out where we fly, definitely not in urban areas, not over water and definitely not over people even if we have approval.
2020-4-10
Use props
wee.minidrone
lvl.2
United States

Final update: received my replacement Mini from DJI at no charge.  I had requested and received a replacement micro SD card at no charge as well.  I must say I am thoroughly impressed with DJI's customer service. Already took my new drone for a spin today and got some great shots! Hope this one lasts me longer than a week!
2020-4-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules