Plastics coating cracked next to the lanyard eyelet screw hole
3407 19 2020-11-5
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
akozc
Second Officer
Flight distance : 2019951 ft
Macao

As title and attached photo says, today coincidentally, found out a thin plastic coating just next to one of the lanyard eyelet screw holes was cracked.

Do not know, if this was caused because the pressure of eyelet screw or it was there since the beginning.

SC is over a year old; I never ever over torque the eyelet and eyelets itself has also rubber gasket which normally absorbs and distribute the pressure.

Plus, I also never stretched or tensioned the lanyard.

It can be simply ignored , as apart from cosmetic, it does not impact function of lanyard attachments but just would like to know if either of DJI fellow has any similar defect or could this trigger further damage , such as loosening of the screw hole etc.

Thanks in advance for your comments or advise.

20201106_082325A.jpg
2020-11-5
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

Those look like stress cracks to me.  From these Smart Controller teardown photos the lanyard nut mounts appear to floating injection plastic.  This design would be subject to flexing with force.
2020-11-5
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Macao

JohnLietzke Posted at 11-5 17:57
Those look like stress cracks to me.  From these Smart Controller teardown photos the lanyard nut mounts appear to floating injection plastic.  This design would be subject to flexing with force.[view_image]

good to know that and thanks a lot for the quick feed back.
I should probably stop using the lanyard
2020-11-5
Use props
JohnLietzke
Second Officer
Flight distance : 3125968 ft
United States

I have been think of getting one for the Mavic Air 2 so I do not have to use my phone.  The information was mutually beneficial.
2020-11-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there akozc. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to know that there is a crack on your DJI Smart Controller next to the lanyard eyelet screw hole. If this crack in anyway is affecting the safety and performance of your DJI Smart Controller. I would recommended for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to check your DJI Smart Controller and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.
2020-11-5
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Macao

DJI Stephen Posted at 11-5 20:00
Hello there akozc. Thank you for reaching out and I am sorry to know that there is a crack on your DJI Smart Controller next to the lanyard eyelet screw hole. If this crack in anyway is affecting the safety and performance of your DJI Smart Controller. I would recommended for you to contact our DJI support team at https://www.dji.com/support for further assistance. We have a team that will do there best to check your DJI Smart Controller and give out the best resolution for this issue. Again I am sorry for this trouble and please stay safe always.

Hi Stephen,
Thanks indeed for advise.
I am based in Macao and nearest service center is in Hong Kong but due to Covid 19 ,border between Macao and HK closed since Feb.
I will send  an email to HK Flagship store to understand  the conditions for repair or check.
2020-11-5
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

akozc Posted at 11-5 20:21
Hi Stephen,
Thanks indeed for advise.
I am based in Macao and nearest service center is in Hong Kong but due to Covid 19 ,border between Macao and HK closed since Feb.

Hi there akozc. Thank you for the reply and you are very much welcome. If you have any other inquiries or concerns with DJI. Please feel free to post it here at DJI Forum. We are all here to help and support you. Again thank you for your valued support and please stay safe always.
2020-11-9
Use props
Gjuro
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1051375 ft
Croatia

the same thing happened to me with sunnylife
2020-11-10
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Macao

Gjuro Posted at 11-10 08:25
the same thing happened to me with sunnylife

I was also (no longer) using the sunnylife probably there is something  wrong gives  too much pressure on the SC coatings.
2020-11-10
Use props
fansd556ffc7
lvl.2
Flight distance : 983816 ft
United Kingdom

akozc Posted at 2020-11-10 21:45
I was also (no longer) using the sunnylife probably there is something  wrong gives  too much pressure on the SC coatings.

Hi there, I bought a Smart Controller in May 2021 and have enjoyed using it. As an aircraft engineer I am always extremely careful when using expensive electronic equipment and expect expensive items to be of good, sound quality. However, I have noticed that the front casing moulding (screen side) has developed, or came with (?) a series of 3 hairline cracks extending horizontally from the left and right edges of the screen. I have never dropped, damaged or abused the item in any way, do I claim a replacement or will the world end before I could get an exchange?? Has anyone else a similar experience?
2021-11-13
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

fansd556ffc7 Posted at 11-13 02:07
Hi there, I bought a Smart Controller in May 2021 and have enjoyed using it. As an aircraft engineer I am always extremely careful when using expensive electronic equipment and expect expensive items to be of good, sound quality. However, I have noticed that the front casing moulding (screen side) has developed, or came with (?) a series of 3 hairline cracks extending horizontally from the left and right edges of the screen. I have never dropped, damaged or abused the item in any way, do I claim a replacement or will the world end before I could get an exchange?? Has anyone else a similar experience?

can u post some ref pictures
2021-11-13
Use props
fansd556ffc7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

akozc Posted at 11-13 02:10
can u post some ref pictures

Difficult to photograph so please look carefully !! Should I attempt to superglue them to stabilise the material as I suspect it will be next year before DJI resolves a potential replacement as the item is less that one year old and was bought from a DJI authorised dealer here in the UK? Any assistance would be appreciated.
2021-11-13
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

It seems to me result of poor quality plastic giving up too early.
I would NOT recommend using glue ( any kind ) it can  make the crack more visible and leave ugly stain.
Believe me it not harm or get worse,  unless you further stress that point
I can understand your frustration and I had same experience  when i found the crack on lanyard eyebolt hook point .
after few months,  already forgotten and anyway now it is hidden behind the lanyard eyebolt gasket.
If  it really disturb you ,suggest to buy  silicon protector case which can nicely cover and also protect the SC from any other external damage
2021-11-13
Use props
fansd556ffc7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

akozc Posted at 11-13 02:55
It seems to me result of poor quality plastic giving up too early.
I would NOT recommend using glue ( any kind ) it can  make the crack more visible and leave ugly stain.
Believe me it not harm or get worse,  unless you further stress that point

Thank you for your advice akozc. I assume therefore that if there is no detriment to the structural integrity of the case, maybe I should just forget about it?

Can you direct me to a location where I can view the protective sleeve/case you mention please.

Thanks.
2021-11-13
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32999819643.html

Ty this or similar one
2021-11-13
Use props
fansd556ffc7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

akozc Posted at 11-13 03:45
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32999819643.html

Thanks very much akozc, I'll give one a try after all, what you can't see you can't worry about eh ?!!

Happy landings
2021-11-13
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

fansd556ffc7 Posted at 11-13 11:46
Thanks very much akozc, I'll give one a try after all, what you can't see you can't worry about eh ?!!

Happy landings

yes exactly
2021-11-13
Use props
fansd556ffc7
lvl.2
United Kingdom

Hi akozc, I have purchased and now fitted the Sunnylife product, with projecting visor. A good product which fits the RC like a glove. The visor however projects too far over the screen requiring the RC to be held at a very inclined forward angle with the 5 position button and Cinema/Normal/Sport slider hard to access during flight. So I trimmed the visor fortward edge back by 20mm and slightly enlarged the apertures for the above controls. Works a treat and very happy in the gloom of the UK, although I have tested the 'mod' under bright light - it works!
2021-11-15
Use props
akozc
Second Officer
Hong Kong

fansd556ffc7 Posted at 11-15 02:39
Hi akozc, I have purchased and now fitted the Sunnylife product, with projecting visor. A good product which fits the RC like a glove. The visor however projects too far over the screen requiring the RC to be held at a very inclined forward angle with the 5 position button and Cinema/Normal/Sport slider hard to access during flight. So I trimmed the visor fortward edge back by 20mm and slightly enlarged the apertures for the above controls. Works a treat and very happy in the gloom of the UK, although I have tested the 'mod' under bright light - it works!

happy to hear it works for you at least kind of
yes , as the SC is too fragile this could give a good protection for accidental drop , scratch or hitting to other object.
2021-11-15
Use props
StriperCuz
lvl.1

United States

fansd556ffc7 Posted at 11-13 02:41
Difficult to photograph so please look carefully !! Should I attempt to superglue them to stabilise the material as I suspect it will be next year before DJI resolves a potential replacement as the item is less that one year old and was bought from a DJI authorised dealer here in the UK? Any assistance would be appreciated.[view_image]

Hello
I have noticed cracks on my smart controller during the last four months. Still under warranty so I will  probably return.  Maybe I can get the new Rc pro controller as a replacement? Did you send yours back? Thanks
2021-12-31
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules