DJI Vision App Maps
1103 5 2015-8-1
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

G'day guys,

I'm just wondering if having GPS and/or cached maps is actually required if I only want to use the app for connecting to my P2V+ V.3 for recording video and taking photos?

I don't really intend on using waypoints until I am completely adept with controlling my bird (only flown her 3 times - too cold in Australia at the moment)

I'm currently using an iPhone 4S, but I'm highly considering on purchasing an iPad due to not being able to see my iPhone screen without the use of reading glasses and a magnifying glass, (the old eye's aren't what they used to be), I'm not sure whether to go for a WiFi only or WiFi + Cellular iPad?

The only problem is that money is a bit tight at the moment due to recent medical issues and other unexpected expenditures rapidly draining my wallet, (I have about $500 to spend thanks to my mum for the belated birthday gift $250 lol), so I'm trawling ebay for a used/refurbished iPad, my thoughts are that I'd save a considerable amount of money by just going with a WiFi only version

I've read that if need be in the future, when I do decide to use the ground station/waypoint feature, that I can cache maps or use my iPhone as a portable hotspot?

What would you recommend be my best course of action with consideration to the above mentioned?

Sorry for the long winded rambling, (Gee I even ramble in text... I'd talk under wet cement with a mouth full of marbles) hahahaha

Thank you,

Barry
2015-8-1
Use props
Kengineer
lvl.2

United States

How about a cheap android tablet? I use an $80.00 10" android that has version 4.4 on it and it works great. It has a card slot so I can view the card as soon as it lands.

I also plug it into my tv and view thru that if I want to.

If you are not too applecentric it may be a way to get the big viewing screen and have cash for another battery for the same price as just the big apple screen.

There is some aftermarket software that may only run on android also.
2015-8-1
Use props
BazzaVMC
lvl.2

Australia

Kengineer Posted at 2015-8-2 00:24
How about a cheap android tablet? I use an $80.00 10" android that has version 4.4 on it and it work ...

Gee I'm glad I thought of that lol...
On a serious note though, thanks, I think I'll follow your advice and get a cheaper Android device and try it, an extra $80 is easily doable... I could go both perhaps?

I already have 3 batteries (2 OEM and 1 aftermarket), but I guess there's nothing wrong with having more batteries?

I was thinking iPad, not only for use with my P2V, but because of a particular app I have on my iPhone that I'm addicted to (GarageBand), the screen on my phone is too small to play a lot of the songs that I have learned...

Please excuse my ignorance, but my original question still remains regarding the need for maps?
2015-8-1
Use props
Kengineer
lvl.2

United States

BazzaVMC Posted at 2015-8-2 03:03
Gee I'm glad I thought of that lol...
On a serious note though, thanks, I think I'll follow your  ...

You do not need maps without groundstation, you can live a happy life without ever going to gogll earth.

With three batteries, I would take Mum to lunch with the savings. Maybe your music app is available android, or you could learn a new thing?

Ken
2015-8-1
Use props
roy
Second Officer

United States

The GPS is good to have If you ever needed to use the find my Phantom. Also the functions of follow me or POi where you quad circles an object while you have it video. There are plenty of inexpensive android tablets with the GPS and 3rd party apps the do all the functions. Do your self a favor and get the bells and whistles so you'll no have to wish you did.
2015-8-1
Use props
Kilted Flyer (D
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1096637 ft
United States

Download the DJI Ultimate Flight app. The text on that is bigger then the other apps and easyer to read.
2015-8-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules