Compatible Phones for the Fly App
753 7 2021-12-7
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
Mitty
lvl.1
United States

Hi all. New here and still tryng to figure things out. Mini 2 owner.

I have some thoughts about what DJI says works with the fly app.
First they say Android 6 minimum system.
Now look at the few phones listed.
From what I can tell, they were all manufactured some years after android 6 was abandoned.
So how can any phone with android 6 work if none of them are on the list? Something amiss here.
Just wondering if anybody else noticed this.
I have an old Galaxy S6 and heard it works but not on the list. Android 7 but came wirh version 6.
Version 6 was abandoned in January 2017 for the S6. Version 7 abandoned in May 2018 for the S6. No further updates.
And of course mine doesnt work, Its the SM-G920V the VZW model.
I considered re-flashing and downgrading to version 6 but have a feeling it stil wont work.
My current model is the S9 with version 9 never updated, and it works but it wont fit the controller as I have an otterbox case. Too fat and tall.
I dont want to use it anyways as it is my only phone.

So im still on the hunt for something older but none are approved.

2021-12-7
Use props
DJI Stephen
DJI team

Hello there Mitty. Thank you for reaching out and for posting these information here at DJI Forum. DJI recommended using a recommended mobile device when operating your DJI Mini 2 for compatibility and reliability purposes. The DJI Fly ( https://www.dji.com/downloads/djiapp/dji-fly ) application recommended mobile devices are tested by DJI to work properly when using it on the said DJI Drone and on the said DJI Application. In addition, rest assured that DJI is continuously testing multiple mobile devices to be added on the said list. Thank you.
2021-12-7
Use props
DAFlys
Captain
Flight distance : 312090263 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

You can get adapters to use larger devices,  look for tablet holders.
2021-12-8
Use props
Mitty
lvl.1
United States

Thanks for the info guys.
I have seen those tablet adapters but I also have another issue.
For some reason my controller was wired backwards and I had to reverse the cable to the phone for it to work.
Since my S9 wont fit the controller I had to use my own OTG cable and phone cable so I have 2 feet or so of extra cabling to deal with.
I use rubber bands to hold my phone to the antenna/holder which made the factory cable too short to reach and the 90 degree end wont go in cause of the otterbox.
I already notified DJI of this problem and have read that other users had the same issue.
I found this out somewhere on this forum but can tell you where.
It took me 11 hours over 2 day period to get my Mini 2 activated.
So if you get nothing when you plug the phone in try reversing the connection.
And before you ask its not the cables. The one shipped with unit does the same thing.
2021-12-8
Use props
Mitty
lvl.1
United States

So I just finished downgrading the S6 to version 6.01. I forgot how horrible marshmallow was.
Well same results. It install and loads and that's it. I tried to go connection tab and screen goes dark then comes back to main screen as before.
No matter what I choose thats what it does. Tried several versions of Fly and no change.
Enough of that so I upgraded back to version 7 only chose an older variant then before.
Same old deal. Cant get it to work no matter what I do.
The ole S6 been collecting dust and I still cant re purpose it.
Dam the luck.

2021-12-8
Use props
Nidge
Second Officer

United Kingdom

Welcome to the s#/t show that is DJI support for Android.

When I purchased my Mini2 my two devices (Huawei P30Lite and Huawei M5Lite8) were on DJI’s list of recommended devices. Then DJI released V1.4.6 of the Fly APP and both of my devices no longer worked with the APP. I wasn’t alone as other Huawei users were experiencing the same problem. DJI very quickly fixed the issue… by deleting these devices, and other similar Huawei devices off the list. My fix for the solution was to roll back the APP to V1.4.2 and stop the APP from ever updating again.

DJI have a long history of running at the first sign of trouble.  Back in 2014 they released a forced update for their Groundstation Hardware. This was so they could put hard coded NFZ’s. This prevented any operation within an 8km radius of a NFZ. The problem was that the nearly all of these NFZ’s did not exist in the real world. Many, if not all users complained and DJI admitted the oversight and a fix would be forthcoming. DJI’s idea of a fix was to drop all support for the Groundstation Hardware a few months later.

I would class myself as a heavy user of drones, I have close to 100 in my fleet, surprisingly only two of these are DJI and I will not use them now for any serious work as I can no longer trust the software to work. Sure, I’ve experienced issues with software from other manufacturers, but the difference is that they made these issues a priority to be fixed. DJI’s priority is, and always has been, to get as many units sold in the shortest possible time and worry about the inevitable issues once the money is banked. The Mavic 3 release is a perfect example.

Currently there are a very large number of users struggling with the Fly APP on modern flagship phones running Android 12. DJI’s public answer to this unforgivable issue is to tell those frustrated users to buy new phones/tablets. This is wholly ridiculous and unacceptable.

There was a time when DJI would enlist the help of users, to test and evaluate hardware and software in real world situations prior to their release. Along with regional support offices, and the teams that worked these offices, DJI have pretty much ceased this cooperative operation and instead now send prerelease units to their preferred list of YouTube "influencers". Have you ever noticed that these influencers never mention any issues, instead these come to light when those that have acquired the product post release do their own reviews. A classic case of Bait and Switch.
2021-12-10
Use props
HGDC84
Captain
Finland

I'll have to agree on this one. While I have no experience on the DJI Fly app, I was very frustrated when I first got the Pocket 2 and had to go through the Mimo hassle. That's why I created two compatibility threads for the Mimo app. They seemed to be quite well received here, especially the phone-related thread.

Maybe you could create a similar thread for the Fly app? Combining the forces of the forum users helped many to solve their problems in that case.

Hope your problems will be solved.
2021-12-10
Use props
Mitty
lvl.1
United States

OK so I mentioned that my S9 works perfectly. But its my main phone and have the otterbox making it near impossible to use.
So I splurge and buy another S9 factory reconditioned for 130.00.
Guess what. It doesn't work. Iam majorly P.O. for sure. The app does the same thing it has done in the past on other phone S6.
Now these S9 are identical versions both with Android 9 Pie on them. Both VZW and updates disabled on both phones.
So why it works on one and not the other has me baffled. Even installed same app version.
Even tried the 1.4.1 version and same thing happens. And tried the newest one just came out.
None of this makes a bit of sense and cant figure why this is happening.
So Ive wasted 130.00 on another phone I new would work and it wont.
Looks like i will be selling my second S9 soon if I cant get this working.
And dam the luck again.
2021-12-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules