Low level audio on new action 3
3269 27 2023-3-10
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
grumpygit88
lvl.1
Flight distance : 443202 ft
United Kingdom

I have just bought an Action 3 to replace an old ailing action camera, but I'm finding the audio level is really low using the internal mics and I can't get any of my external mics to work with a 3.5mm to usb-c adapter.

I'm not getting any help from DJI support to see if I can fix this and I need the camera to at least get enough audio to sync with my main camera feeds at a wedding next week - so no time to get a replacement from Amazon if there is no fix forthcoming. Latest firmware was installed when I set the camera up, so that is all up to date.

Has anybody got any suggestions? I thought there was supposed to be a gain control, but this may only apply to external mics? No information in the manual.

Thanks
2023-3-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

Hello, there. Sorry for the late response. May we know if you contacted our support before about this question?  May we know what external mics did you try?
2023-3-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

What kind of usb-c adapter are you using? Do you use TRRS mic on TRS adapter?
2023-3-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Correct the external mic must be plugged in. to access a gain control,  default of the camera is Omni Directional, no  wind on automatic all mics. with Pr chosen  the mic can be enabled for stereo, mono, wind,  front .  post a sample up be at 3 feet and you get the sound recorded the camera will pick up any noise
2023-3-10
Use props
grumpygit88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-10 07:05
Hello, there. Sorry for the late response. May we know if you contacted our support before about this question?  May we know what external mics did you try?

Yes, I contacted support yesterday and was told I would get a reply by the end of the day. I tried both Rode Stereo Video mic and Takstar mono video mic, both with TRS 3.5mm plugs, I don't know if the adapter has a TRS or TRRS socket, but I'm assuming TRS? It's the only adapter I have to hand. Thanks.
2023-3-10
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

People use today most Smartphone adapters, careful on that. its a camera TRS.  so if you are using a usb type to to 3.5mm that be the right choices google a photo on TRS and trrs
2023-3-10
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

look also here

https://forum.dji.com/thread-280749-1-1.html

2023-3-10
Use props
grumpygit88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Thanks for all your replies, I will look at my best option. I don't want to spend a lot of money until I can be sure the audio circuits in the camera are okay, I'm still not sure. I still have very quiet audio on the internal mics... except for very loud wind noise, which is disappointing as wind noise reduction was on; I was prepared to accept wind noise as inevitable, but given that there was almost no wind this afternoon and the camera was static on a tripod, and given the fact it doesn't pick up wanted sounds very well... not very impressed so far

Thanks again for all your help.
2023-3-10
Use props
johansenfoto
First Officer
Flight distance : 1173379 ft
  • >>>
Norway

grumpygit88 Posted at 3-10 10:58
Thanks for all your replies, I will look at my best option. I don't want to spend a lot of money until I can be sure the audio circuits in the camera are okay, I'm still not sure. I still have very quiet audio on the internal mics... except for very loud wind noise, which is disappointing as wind noise reduction was on; I was prepared to accept wind noise as inevitable, but given that there was almost no wind this afternoon and the camera was static on a tripod, and given the fact it doesn't pick up wanted sounds very well... not very impressed so far

Thanks again for all your help.

Often people tend to use an usb-c adapter ment for headphones (android phones) so then mic will not work.
There are a few adapters that we know work, BOYA BY K4 is one of them.

Internal mics are not really good when there is wind, and we still haven't found a easy solution to block the wind. I need to try with some foam or something.
2023-3-10
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

grumpygit88 Posted at 3-10 08:25
Yes, I contacted support yesterday and was told I would get a reply by the end of the day. I tried both Rode Stereo Video mic and Takstar mono video mic, both with TRS 3.5mm plugs, I don't know if the adapter has a TRS or TRRS socket, but I'm assuming TRS? It's the only adapter I have to hand. Thanks.

Got it. We saw that our support is still waiting for the update from our engineers. Would you please also confirm what type of your eternal mic is so that we can offer you a complete solution?
1) 3.5mm microphone (wireless/wired);
2) USB-C microphone;
3) USB-C headphone with mic;
4) 3.5mm headphone (SRRC/SRC)
Thank you in advance.
2023-3-11
Use props
grumpygit88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

DJI Wanda Posted at 3-11 00:24
Got it. We saw that our support is still waiting for the update from our engineers. Would you please also confirm what type of your eternal mic is so that we can offer you a complete solution?
1) 3.5mm microphone (wireless/wired);
2) USB-C microphone;

Thanks, can you forget about the external mic for now, I'm fairly sure that is a cable issue?

I'm more concerned that internal mic doesn't capture audio very well. I would expect it to be able to capture normal speech from a distance of 1 metre indoors with no wind at a reasonable level. I don't want to have  to rig an external mic every time I need to capture ambient sound, it defeats the purpose of having a compact action camera.

Outdoors, the so-called wind noise suppression is non-existent. There is no point in having the so-called 'windproof' mic underneath, it's useless - I couldn't imagine mounting this on a moving vehicle.

If there is no solution to this, it is going back to Amazon on Monday as faulty/not fit for purpose and I will buy a GoPro instead. I have a £20 SJCAM SJ4000 that has better audio recording than this.
2023-3-11
Use props
DJ DJ
lvl.4
Germany

grumpygit88 Posted at 3-11 01:04
Thanks, can you forget about the external mic for now, I'm fairly sure that is a cable issue?

I'm more concerned that internal mic doesn't capture audio very well. I would expect it to be able to capture normal speech from a distance of 1 metre indoors with no wind at a reasonable level. I don't want to have  to rig an external mic every time I need to capture ambient sound, it defeats the purpose of having a compact action camera.

Hard to tell without an example shot. From what you describe, I consider that a hardware fault. From 1m in a quiet room, I get the clear and loud audio I expect, comparable to any other cam or phone so far.
If you have a look at the many examples on youtube, you see, how the Action 3 should perform. If yours differs from that, it may be defective.
2023-3-11
Use props
DJI Wanda
Administrator

grumpygit88 Posted at 3-11 01:04

Understand. We will report the updates once we get a response from our engineers.
If you have any questions later, please feel free to talk.
2023-3-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Do not  wait for that DJI update go return your Unit,   the Chip mics are under a membrane and that also puts a slight dampner of getting round  to you. but  the camera sound  not to meet your expectations, and  all we have is your word, and that we will accept

the camera SUCKS at  outside  in cameras view with internal Audio.
2023-3-11
Use props
Rocktheasphalt
Second Officer
United States

Maybe this will help you: The mic at the bottom is used to lower the wind noise (but you will notice a reduction overall wenn you blow on it and speek emmediately afterwards). This will only happen if there is to much wind noise and only if noise reduction is on. Switching noise reduction of and changing the settings to front mic could help you, picking up the sound from 1m in front of the camera. Adding a windscreen to front mics would improve the result even further.
Another way to solve the problem could be: Switching noise canceling on, but covering the bottom mic with some sort of foam to decrease the amount of overall volume reduction.  
I guess DJI has some work to do here also... the good thing, it can be done in firmware updates!
2023-3-11
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

wind noise is no wher like a gopro if asked
2023-3-12
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

this is part of my vlog.

wind noise on, forced to use Pro, how the camera sounds with small wind

2023-3-13
Use props
grumpygit88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-13 03:10
this is part of my vlog.

wind noise on, forced to use Pro, how the camera sounds with small wind

Apart from the wind, your audio is great. Compare how low level the audio is on mine...
2023-3-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

Here I demonstrate how the camera should sound like to all. talk low, medium loud, and a external mic. since DJI controls audio of default we must go into the PRO, and that is not what I want to do but gopro is about the same with  protunes.  can a camera company just offer audio separately to Control at default, no

2023-3-13
Use props
grumpygit88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-13 04:15
Here I demonstrate how the camera should sound like to all. talk low, medium loud, and a external mic. since DJI controls audio of default we must go into the PRO, and that is not what I want to do but gopro is about the same with  protunes.  can a camera company just offer audio separately to Control at default, no

Thanks, that's really helpful. Maybe just need to speak louder

Unfortunately,  I can't control that in this case, I just want to place the camera as a discrete wide angle view during a wedding ceremony and capture enough audio to sync with the two main DSLR cameras which have good external mics for the finished audio. Worst case scenario, I will just have to sync the wide  views manually and think about getting another external mic. Just wish they could add manual gain for the internal mics.

Thanks
2023-3-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

in a room of many people, you did this before, then you really know the answer this is not going to be the camera audio for it, use  sound recorder, and synch up , simple snap of  finger or  hand clap or a phone app  clapperboard.

years ago kodak zi8 has an internal audio gain,  doubt we see DJI ever adding that in, they only have an external audio gain

wish the best my friend on  the wedding  video, there is a member in here  that  may have done what you were asking and had flicker, issues,  have to look for the thread
2023-3-13
Use props
grumpygit88
lvl.1
United Kingdom

Fishycomics Posted at 3-13 08:29
in a room of many people, you did this before, then you really know the answer this is not going to be the camera audio for it, use  sound recorder, and synch up , simple snap of  finger or  hand clap or a phone app  clapperboard.

Thanks, sure I can do that, but to be honest, if I have to, the camera is not fit for purpose.

I just got off the phone to Amazon, the camera is going back for refund. Not only is the sound bad but during a side-by-side comparison test, the picture on my 2015 £30 1080p SJCAM4000 is actually sharper than the 4K picture on the Action 3. I thought they were supposed to have fixed the focus issues.

It's a shame because all my other DJI kit works so well.
2023-3-13
Use props
Fishycomics
First Officer
United States

grumpygit88 Posted at 3-13 08:44
Thanks, sure I can do that, but to be honest, if I have to, the camera is not fit for purpose.

I just got off the phone to Amazon, the camera is going back for refund. Not only is the sound bad but during a side-by-side comparison test, the picture on my 2015 £30 1080p SJCAM4000 is actually sharper than the 4K picture on the Action 3. I thought they were supposed to have fixed the focus issues.

you want a sharp picture from a Super-wide  camera, nope not gonna be happening     you had to talk to a different person at Amazon, I bet,   Gopro may be a little better but remember it anAction camera more control over the lesser expensive ones like this and Insta. maybe Insta 360 One RS and Johanson in here has.   hope you find hte product you are after.

For me I did not lose out or care for being sharp at 20 cm
2023-3-13
Use props
hurtighansen1
lvl.3
Flight distance : 26296 ft
Denmark

Do not buy boya k4 trs. It sucks. Just saying. The best is an trs usb mic or adabtor, but until we know witch works, save some $. Im using, Apple usb c trrs +Ulanzi Arimic 1.5M/6M Clip-on Lavalier, low price, and it works. im using gain +5db on oa3 with this. But, if, we find perfekt working usb c trs, use that one. But, it will cost $ lol.

2023-3-13
Use props
djiuser_aglCDVhxomRm
New

United Kingdom

Have you been into the settings, dragging down from top, there is a sound control which can be set from low to high.  Don’t know if this will help.
2023-8-28
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

Samsung usbc- trrs adapter
&
Smallrig wave l1  mic
camera gain -2db

here with BoyaK04 trs adapter

the noise is traffic noise from the street

you can use the Smallrig lav mic with the DJI mic

Best price ca
Samsung adapter  2,50€
Boya k-04. 15€
Smallrig wave L1. 10€
2023-8-31
Use props
lutzmix
Second Officer
Germany

andoer lav mic with 90cm telesin selfie stick

samsung trrs adapter
andoer lav mic ca 5€
intern camera gain -2db

I think  andoer and smallrig are similar
2023-9-1
Use props
djiuser_8VcKAhssU8GW
lvl.1
United States

Dji Action 4, Mono/-6 gain
Saramonic sr-c2003 adapter
Sennheiser ME 2 lav mic, yes the locking 3.5 works with the non locking adapter.
Using this for Motovlogging, minus having to boost the audio levels in post. The audio is the cleanest I have ever had it from DJI, Gopro or insta360
2023-9-4
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules