Iphone battery drains
2689 24 2015-12-30
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
rburke11
lvl.1

United States

I'm having an issue with my IPhone 6 battery draining when flying my P3S using the DJI Go app. My IOS is 9.2 on my phone. I start at or near 100% battery on my phone but it quickly appears to drain the phone battery until it shuts down and will not restart. However, when I connect my power cord, it will very quickly go back up to near 100% again. Something on the app is fooling my phone battery to be drained. I've tried deleting the app, rebooting my phone and reinstalling the app but same result. If I'm not flying, it will not have this problem. Any suggestions?
2015-12-30
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

Tip: the author has been banned or deleted automatically shield
2015-12-30
Use props
rburke11
lvl.1

United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-30 21:17
Your iphone should charge from the remote controller.

How would it charge? The connection is wifi. No cable is connected.
2015-12-30
Use props
skyphotovideo
lvl.2
Flight distance : 311791 ft
United States

my iphone 5s uses up like 35% with each flight
2015-12-30
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

The Go App is very processor intensive, handling the video from the aircraft takes a lot of work and will drain the iPhone's battery.
2015-12-30
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-31 10:17
Your iphone should charge from the remote controller.

The remote controller for the Pro/Adv does not charge the controller, it will show the charge indicator on the phone/tablet but it's not charging it.
2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

Yes, the DJI GO app os very powerful and take a lot of processing power. On IOS make sure all other apps are closed and for Android, use the application manager to force stop all unnecessary running background apps, they are using up the RAM.
2015-12-30
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-30
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

Rebel Posted at 2015-12-31 11:07
Why would it show that its charging when its not?

p3a/p is charging android phones but not iphone, p3s is not charging anything
2015-12-30
Use props
Rebel
Banned

United States

2015-12-30
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

iPad Mini 2 does not charge from P3A controller.  Uses lots of battery.
2015-12-31
Use props
steve.plumb3
New

United Kingdom

I am having the same problem.  My iPhone 6 is always charged above 50% but when I take it outside and fly my Phantom, after a few minutes the iPhone turns itself off because it thinks it is flat.  On plugging my phone into a charger, the phone is still 50% charged.  

Something about the app is confusing the phone.
2016-1-19
Use props
alexlapo
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Mine did the exact same but playing around with it after a bit it stopped confused.com
2016-1-19
Use props
Davemc67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21457 ft
United Kingdom

Mine did the same thing at the weekend,, the iPhone 6 battery was at 75% , flew for about 5 -10 minutes  before the phone shut down giving the flat battery icon and asking to be charged. On plugging into the car charger once the phone re-initialised it came back up with battery level above 60%

I'm going to see if I can find a way of hanging my external battery pack from the rail on the back of the controller and keep power to the phone
2016-1-19
Use props
DrACE
lvl.3

United States

Remote controller does not charge the phone.  Iphones are horrible to use when flying with live video, especially in colder weather.  Get an Ipad Air 2.
2016-1-19
Use props
Davemc67
lvl.2
Flight distance : 21457 ft
United Kingdom

DrACE Posted at 2016-1-19 18:39
Remote controller does not charge the phone.  Iphones are horrible to use when flying with live vide ...

I have a Phantom 3 standard and also an iPad Air 2 and have not seen a sturdy enough mount without drilling the controller casing to fit a mount bezel similar to the adv/pro controller.
2016-1-19
Use props
The Bat Drone
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Get yourself a portable charger, my battery on my iPhone 6 goes down to 40% after at least two flights so I just keep it charging with a long lighting cable and a portable charger in my backpack or pocket. You can get some decent ones on Amazon for about £20/25
2016-1-19
Use props
nico1467
New
Flight distance : 630 ft
United Kingdom

Hi,

I had this problem on one of my first flights, where after being 100% charged a '10%' warning came up on my phone and i panicked like you've never seen before not knowing how to fly app-less! The way I've got around this is to have a battery case. Some are expensive but are well worth the money and are very handy everyday anyway. Personally I have the apple case as it fits neater and has a lightning charging port, but in the past I've had Mophies which are really good cases too
2016-1-19
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

nico1467 Posted at 2016-1-19 14:28
Hi,

I had this problem on one of my first flights, where after being 100% charged a '10%' warning c ...

My iphone 6 is dying fast, today it went from full charge to dead in 6 minutes of flight time.  Temperature was 18°F (-8°C).  It never did this until recently. Always functioned normally until about a month ago. Could be the cold tricking the iphone into thinking the battery is dead, when it is really just cold.  When I restarted the iphone and charged it, it was up to 70% power in just ten minutes of charging.  This tells me it wasn't really drained, or it would have taken a lot longer to charge up to 70%.  In the Autumn, a 6 minute flight would have taken the battery down less than 10%.  This is a real problem as it can leave you flying home with only one set of eyes, and no flight data at all.
2016-1-20
Use props
nico1467
New
Flight distance : 630 ft
United Kingdom

Iflewbyyou Posted at 2016-1-21 01:50
My iphone 6 is dying fast, today it went from full charge to dead in 6 minutes of flight time.  Te ...

My 5 had that exact issue, even to the point Air conditioning in the car would trigger it to power off... is quite a common issue with iPhones and as always, happens after your 1 year warranty runs out... You could try to re-calibrate the battery as sometime IOS upgrades can throw it out if it hasn't been done in the past - there are quite a few guides on how to do that online if you google it... as I said earlier though I can't fault getting a battery case as its a good insurance policy so to speak if the worst does come around
2016-1-21
Use props
Iflewbyyou
lvl.3
Flight distance : 1066076 ft
  • >>>
United States

nico1467 Posted at 2016-1-21 15:49
My 5 had that exact issue, even to the point Air conditioning in the car would trigger it to power  ...

I've tested my iphone battery and In truth, it is excellent.  Today I streamed Netflix for 50 minutes, which only took the battery from 98% down to 94%.  This was in my winter workout room, with a temperature of 42°F (5.5°C).  Then I fired up the P3P and remote, opened DJI GO and recorded video from the camera for 10 minutes. This only took the iphone battery down 2%.  Granted, stting in the house is not a totally objective test, but it tends to rule out the app itself and and/or the iphone battery. All I have left to explain the problem I experienced, is the somewhat extreme cold that day (Temperature was 18°F / -8°C), as explained in my original statement.  My new plan will be to keep the iphone charging in the car, and also to keep it on top of the dash near the defroster, so that it is nice and warm when I start to use it. I expect it will last longer, applying the same principals to the iphone battery as I already apply to the P3P batteries.
2016-1-21
Use props
guyrhodes
lvl.1

United States

Same problem here (iPhone 6 running iOS 8.4 / Latest Phantom 3 firmware as of 1/26/16). Started my flight at 94% on the iPhone. After about 2 minutes, the phone gave me the 10% battery warning. Frazzled, I quickly descended from 160' and landed. I backed out of the app to see the phone telling me it had 62% battery left. Puzzled, I lifted off again to a low level hover. I got the 10% battery warning again within 30 seconds. I decided to land and call it a night, just as the phone completely died. When I got back in the car and connected the phone to DC power, it powered back up immediately to 75%!

I was flying in cold weather (28° F), and this seems to only exacerbate the issue. When I got home, I did a test and left my iPhone outside on its own (no Phantom anything in the mix) for 25 minutes, and the same 90% to 10% out of nowhere issue occurred. Apparently the cold weather iPhone issue is well known / documented (but wasn't known by me until tonight).
2016-1-27
Use props
nesnah.sirhc
lvl.1

United Kingdom

Same issue here with 6+ batt draining (or appearing to) after 10-12 mins flying time in mild weather....
2016-5-1
Use props
hudson8312
lvl.3
Flight distance : 151299 ft
United States

It's the cold that is draining the phone down. Try getting some of the hand warmers that start heating up when you open them up and get exposed to the air. One should work for a phone and it might take 2 for a tablet. Just put them on the back side right against them should help with your problem
2016-5-1
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules