Newbie with a P3
2187 25 2016-1-23
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

When I turn on aircraft, it starts beeping and light on gimble blinks then goes solid green. Like it's trying to upgrade, it does this for over 15 minutes, is something wrong?
After turning on IPhone and RC I get a message saying aircraft, battery needs upgrade and IMU needs cal.

I tried 3-4 times to get aircraft to stop beeping, AS I don't think its upgraded, you would think since it is new from Drone world, it would be ready to fly.

I did see a message at first saying RC was upgraded successfully. I will purchase a Micro card reader later and check log, I see on the forum that you can format card from the app but I don't see instructions for that.

Any help would be appreciated.

I'm not off to a good start,
2016-1-23
Use props
flocko
lvl.1

United States

http://www.phantomhelp.com/#HowTosP3
2016-1-23
Use props
cellis488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202566 ft
United States

When you have the copter on and your iPhone on go to tools their is a scene that says format click on it and it will clean out everything.
2016-1-23
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

cellis488 Posted at 2016-1-24 05:57
When you have the copter on and your iPhone on go to tools their is a scene that says format click o ...

I got it to upgrade after format and download, Another dumb question, should I leave memory card plugged into to camera slot all the time. after upgrade and I turn Phantom on it still keeps beeping.
2016-1-23
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-24 14:01
I got it to upgrade after format and download, Another dumb question, should I leave memory card p ...

Yes, you should leave the SD card in the aircraft at all times, however it is not necessary to have the firmware upgrade files on the card.

If you take the card out, you are probably going to go out and try to shoot some video and it won't work without the card. I have done this, not a good outcome.

You should certainly get a reader for the micro SD card, you are going to need it.

If it is still acting up, try connecting to the aircraft with the Go App and tell us what it says., if possible, take a screen shot and post it here.
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

Geebax Posted at 2016-1-24 17:04
Yes, you should leave the SD card in the aircraft at all times, however it is not necessary to have ...

Ok, I will, should the aircraft  keep beeping after boot up? or does it keep beeping because compass needs Cal? I get no other error or messages.
2016-1-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
Flight distance : 430686 ft
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-24 08:45
Ok, I will, should the aircraft  keep beeping after boot up? or does it keep beeping because compa ...

Have you reformatted the SD card after you did the update?
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-24 23:24
Have you reformatted the SD card after you did the update?

No I did not, but I will and try that, Also articles say to calibrate IMU once you receive new unit, But I 've read horror stories about that. Does the compass have to be calibrated before you attempt IMU cal?
2016-1-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 00:10
No I did not, but I will and try that, Also articles say to calibrate IMU once you receive new uni ...

You need to start here:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-34366-1-1.html
or here...http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/info#video

It will save you a lot of grief....
2016-1-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-24 11:10
No I did not, but I will and try that, Also articles say to calibrate IMU once you receive new uni ...

After an update you should perform an IMU calibration. Not a big deal as long as your Phantom is LEVEL and cool. Stick it out on the porch for a few minutes depending on your location. Looks like the entire country is cool enough today, even Miami.

Then a gimbal calibration. Easy too.

Then a compass calibration away from all metal objects including those on your person. ALWAYS check the compass mod number before you fly. It should be around 1500. Any significant deviance from that could spell trouble once airborne. There is no need to do frequent compass calibrations unless you travel hundreds of miles from the last calibration point.

Watch the videos. They will show you it is far easier than explaining it here.
2016-1-24
Use props
dacofty
lvl.4
Flight distance : 1061345 ft
  • >>>
United States

aopisa Posted at 2016-1-24 11:56
After an update you should perform an IMU calibration. Not a big deal as long as your Phantom is L ...

i havent done a gimbal calibration yet should i go ahead and do one? everything seems ok tho
2016-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 00:10

It sounds like you are new to these multirotors, my suggestion is to read the manual and watch the tutorial videos and play with the simulator. All of those are located in the Academy page of the app. From the home page (when you first power everything up, RC first then aircraft) the icon on the top right (graduation hat) takes you into the Academy page where everything is.
The top left icon (paper airplane) form the home page takes you to your flight logs.

After doing a firmware update, you need to calibrate the IMU, then the compass (compass calibration outside no metal around,no phone/keys in your pocket, RC on the ground not in your hand)
Then a gimbal calibration. The IMU calibration can be done around metal but just has to be an a perfectly surface and not toughed during the 10 minute process.
Also, the gimbal calibration takes about 10 seconds until you'll see the camera move in all directions, so don't touch the aircraft until its finished.
2016-1-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

dacofty Posted at 2016-1-24 12:00
i havent done a gimbal calibration yet should i go ahead and do one? everything seems ok tho

See the post for DJI-Ken above^^^
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-25 01:05
It sounds like you are new to these multirotors, my suggestion is to read the manual and watch the ...

RC on the ground for compass calibration, how do you do that?
Also how do you calibrate Gimbal?
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-1-25 01:05
It sounds like you are new to these multirotors, my suggestion is to read the manual and watch the ...

2016-1-24
Use props
cellis488
lvl.2
Flight distance : 202566 ft
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-23 21:01
I got it to upgrade after format and download, Another dumb question, should I leave memory card p ...

yes leave the card in don't take it out.
2016-1-24
Use props
aopisa
lvl.4
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-24 12:31

Ok, I think it is time for you to read the manual and watch some of the videos already posted. The best way to learn is to do some research yourself. It is all spelled out if you look little rather than having to learn it step by step here.
2016-1-24
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 01:31

Do not hold the RC in your hand while doing a compass calibration, you will get a better calibration with the RC away from you, there's metal in it and it's only arms length form the aircraft. Get into the compass calibration menu and make it start, lay the RC on the ground about 10ft away and walk over to the aircraft and pick it up and do the calibration and watch the lights to make sure you did it right (you have 30 seconds to complete it)
Then walk over and pick up your radio and your screen should be normal view now.

And gimbal calibration, it's in the Gimbal Param Settings (the icon with the camera) on the left AFTER you've gotten into the settings menu (top right tab)

I really suggest you read the manual and watch the tutorial videos before flying. It's in the Academy page of the app.
2016-1-24
Use props
Northofthe49th
Second Officer

Canada

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 01:31

I'll sat it again....
You need to start here:

http://forum.dji.com/thread-34366-1-1.html
or here...http://www.dji.com/product/phantom-3-standard/info#video

It will save you a lot of grief....
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

Northofthe49th Posted at 2016-1-25 02:10
I'll sat it again....
You need to start here:

Ok I did everything you guys suggested, finished my first test flight, Now I can see how much grain is in horse trough without driving to the barn, Thanks all!

Now I need to work on extracting videos so I can send to my friends.
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-25 02:57
Ok I did everything you guys suggested, finished my first test flight, Now I can see how much grai ...

Another question, are the gimbal clear anti drop pins supposed to be on all 4 corner mounts or just on opposite corners like it came?
2016-1-24
Use props
Aardvark
First Officer
Flight distance : 384432 ft
  • >>>
United Kingdom

wadejesu Posted at 2016-1-24 20:03
Another question, are the gimbal clear anti drop pins supposed to be on all 4 corner mounts or jus ...

Just the two corners, as it came.
2016-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

(compass calibration outside no metal around,no phone/keys in your pocket, RC on the ground not in your hand)

I must disagree with you, Ken.  Putting the quad on the ground leaves you open to error due to un-seen metal or other things in the ground.  I make sure I have no metal on me and then calibrate over my head at arms length.  That gets it in the clear the most, and furthest away from the ground and unseen objects.  Yours is the first post anywhere that I have seen saying to be sure it is on the ground.  Disagree!
2016-1-24
Use props
Geebax
Captain
Australia

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-1-25 12:18
(compass calibration outside no metal around,no phone/keys in your pocket, RC on the ground not in  ...

He is talking about putting the Remote Control unit (RC) on the ground, not the aircraft.
2016-1-24
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Hmm..okay. I must have misread.  Sorry.
2016-1-24
Use props
wadejesu
lvl.1

United States

AG0N-Gary Posted at 2016-1-25 10:39
Hmm..okay. I must have misread.  Sorry.

Yeah I miss read too, controller on the ground, makes more sense.
2016-1-25
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules