Connection and Priming motors issue??
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
DaveB68
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Not flown my new Phantom 3 Standard yet mainly due to poor weather but I have followed the DJi Tutorials for set up etc. Anyway couple of possible issues:

1. Sitting indoors with controller next the P3 and quite often get a week controller signal, sometimes losing signal complete (only briefly). Am I right in thinking that if the signal cannot be held at this ditance what chance has it got when flying?

2. As per video, I start the motors, they fire up ok but the Go App states the P3 has taken / is taking off. The auto take off button has been replaced by the auto land button. Obviously this is without the props being installed (I've not installed these at all yet). The P3 dosen't sound like it is powering enough to take off but dont really want to take the risk.

Any advice please appreciated.

Dave

2016-2-3
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Hi davenport.
2016-2-3
Use props
Hawks100
lvl.4
Flight distance : 134580 ft
United Kingdom

Sorry, sausage fingers on my phone....It will be interference from lots of things in your house.Im sure when you take it outside your signal worries won't be there.I thought the same as you with my P3P not sounding like it's reving up enough to take off. With props on its up up an away no problem.  Be patient an take your time when the weather improves enough to fly.
2016-2-3
Use props
ZAR
lvl.1
Flight distance : 26343953 ft
Panama

If you have the controller too close to the P3 sometimes that will happen, just back away from it, on the other hand I have flown my P3 up to 12,000 feet away (I do not recommend this)  from the controller and have not lost control, signal, or image. Of course flight conditions were amazing, wind in my favor on the way back, open area (over a lake) nice temp not too hot not to cool.

Go outside and put the props on, if you have the latest version of the of the DJI Ggo App on your device you can practice flying from the safety of your device!
2016-2-3
Use props
Cetaman
Captain
Flight distance : 2528264 ft
  • >>>
United States

Aloha Dave,

Your first part of your first point is probably right.  Anything closer than ten feet tends to give you false or no signal.  Also, make sure you either are or are not in "Beginner's Mode".  You will need to know that in order to evaluate your P3's performance.  Please be aware that on this forum, the P3 Standard and P3 4K are WiFi and the P3 Advanced and P3 Professional are USB cabled.  There are advantages and disadvantages to both forms.  If you note the type of P3 being commented upon, it may save you a lot of confusion and probably make your flying easier.

Without props on the P3, it changes RPM with almost no resistance.  This may be the cause of your concern.  But still, as you are already doing, approach the first flight with an abundance of caution.  Because your P3 uses WiFi, interference can be more of a problem, so keep away from reinforced concrete structures, electric lines and large pieces of metal like cars and metal structures.  I had serious problems with 10 meter excavators and Caterpillars when I came 10 or 15 meters from them for close-ups of the operators using my P3 Pro.

Reading the manual a few times can "mean" some of the best time you spend flying.

Aloha and Drone On!
2016-2-3
Use props
DaveB68
lvl.2

United Kingdom

Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Makes a lot of sense regarding the interference and being to close the the P3 to get a proper signal.

What about the issue with the App saying that the P3 has actually taken off when all I have done is start the motors (just pull the sticks down and inwards, nothingmore)

Cheers
2016-2-3
Use props
Kneepuck
Second Officer
Flight distance : 275105 ft
United States

DaveB68 Posted at 2016-2-3 12:41
Thanks for the responses guys, much appreciated. Makes a lot of sense regarding the interference and ...

That is likely to be because,  assuming you are in P mode,  you are indoors with no GPS signal.  It also could be compass calibration or IMU calibration.  Those things should be done before your first actual flight.  Also,  if you have your P3 near metal,  it can confuse the compass and IMU.  Same is true of strong electrical signals.  So be sure no metal is near when you do the calibrations.
If you are too close too the P3 with the r/c that could cause  the signal loss.  The same can happen if you fly straight up over your head.  Get some distance before climbing,  and remember that if you initiate RTH within 20 meters,  the P3 will not rth.  It will just land straight down.  Something to be aware of.
2016-2-3
Use props
DJI-Tim
DJI team

Hong Kong

The signal lose indoors is usual. I was playing with my Standard at home and it was getting a weak signal. But outside the signal is strong enough
2016-2-3
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules