Why do people catch there Phantoms rather than land?
1793 24 2016-3-2
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
davidathomas42
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I have seen a lot of videos where people catch there Phantoms rather than land them? I personally land mine back where I started for a nice smooth touchdown. I cant understand the benefit of catching it with propellors running? My thought is that the drone will sense its not where it wants to be and start fighting your grip and possibly end up in a tangle of all sorts.

What do others here do and why?

2016-3-2
Use props
toddf.perkins
lvl.3

United States

I have heard the same thing before.. not sure why people do it. Unless you are on a boat in choppy water or are on unlevel ground.. see no reason to do this
2016-3-2
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

We are hand catching in situations where landing could damage the craft or camera (steep rocky ground, sandy beaches, snow, muddy fields, high brush country, and gusty winds). There are risks in doing it, so personally I use the method about 1/3 of the time depending upon where I am flying.
Once you have sufficient flight experience, it is easy to learn, but must be done correctly and with other persons or pets at a safe distance. Have a look at my post on this thread for a simple description of the method: Hand catch and VPS
Good flying!
2016-3-2
Use props
GTDrone
lvl.4
Flight distance : 2197703 ft
Guatemala

normally i land it , i just do a hand catch when is some water in the floor   or grass,  rocks  or if there is not a flat surface
2016-3-2
Use props
JaxBchFlyer
lvl.2

Flat, dry, level, no sand = land on ground.

All other conditions = hand catch.
2016-3-2
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

I had catch 100% of the time.  Many of us have been hand catching before DJI introduced VPS.
2016-3-2
Use props
Bhujang
lvl.4
Flight distance : 534587 ft
United Kingdom

I enjoying landing my craft. I can understand the need to hand launch and land in some terrains. Definitely a useful,skill to have. I will practice when I get my shoulder support for the record ;) til then I land on the ground and only fly where there is suitably  level ground to do so.  
2016-3-2
Use props
mikeon
lvl.4
United States

I hand catch so that the prop wash doesn't kick up dirt and moisture onto the camera lens as it nears the ground.  I take off from my backpack or an inverted 5 gallon bucket for the same reason.  
2016-3-2
Use props
dbmoss.me
lvl.3

United States

I hand catch all of the time and I always wear safety glasses and something on my head.  It's safer for the Phantom to take off from the ground and to land in your hand.
2016-3-2
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

I hand catch 100% of the time.

I have started hand launching too in certain circumstances. I take off from snowy mountains a lot in the winter and there is simply no stable, flat, snow-free sites nearby. It's simpler than I thought.
2016-3-2
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

My P3P has never landed.  I 100% hand catch.  When I first got the P2V+ I landed on my case for the first 15 or 20 flights.  Then one time it landed and right before I shut it off it 'hopped' off the case, snapped two props.  Since then I hand catch all the time.

The quad does not fight or try to get away from you at all.  It just stops moving and you use the other hand to hold down the stick and it shuts off.  There have been a lot of discussion on the forums about this.  Some always do, some sometimes do, some never do and there are just as many opinions which is the right/best way to bring in your quad.  My best advice to you or anyone is - Do what you feel comfortable with and what works for you.  What someone else does shouldn't really concern you as obviously they are doing what they feel comfortable with.

I do have a system/technique for hand catching.  Well, at least a loose set of criteria so to speak.  1)Always wait until the quad is in a steady hover. 2)Hover should be above your head so you have to reach up to get it, not out.  (this makes sure all body parts are below the props while spinning) 3)Always shut off motors before lowering quad/arm.
2016-3-2
Use props
labroides
Core User of DJI
Flight distance : 9991457 ft
  • >>>
Australia

" My thought is that the drone will sense its not where it wants to be and start fighting your grip and possibly end up in a tangle of all sorts."

It's a simple matter of just holding it in place while you shut the motors off.
You'd quickly find out it's not going to work if you try pulling the  Phantom from where it's hovering.
2016-3-2
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

New question for those that hand catch, especially those of you that hand-catch because you don't like the ground it would land on:

How do you take off?

2016-3-2
Use props
nrgwise
Second Officer

United States

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-3-2 20:15
New question for those that hand catch, especially those of you that hand-catch because you don't li ...

I take off from the top of my case 100% of the time.  If I am using the backpack, I take off from the top of the backpack when lying flat.  But I also have a piece of cardboard in the pack so I can make the quad lie level if needed.
2016-3-2
Use props
Dr. Acula
lvl.2

United States

Catching always results in a smooth, clean landing.  Landing on grass or gravel or any less-than-pristine surface can blow debris into the case/motors/gimbal/etc.  Plus there is always the possibility of tipping over.  So to me there are more advantages to hand-catching.
2016-3-2
Use props
SVTRay
lvl.3

I usually land mine unless the ground is wet or the area is full of obstacles. Then I'll catch it by hand.
2016-3-2
Use props
johnsr
Second Officer
Flight distance : 1579022 ft
France

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-3-3 02:15
New question for those that hand catch, especially those of you that hand-catch because you don't li ...

I use a small hard foam DIY take off & landing pad (37 cm diameter) that clips on the outside of my backpack. This keeps the lens clean on take offs.
Good flying!
2016-3-3
Use props
alpinekiwi
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54803 ft
France

Not A Speck Of  Posted at 2016-3-3 02:15

While I always hand catch, I would normally take off from a stable base.

However, the other day I was back country skiing and I had the drone take off from the back of my backpack (laying facedown in the deep powder). I started the motors up alright, but just as I pushed up on the left stick to take off, it lost balance and toppled into the snow. No damage, but it was covered in snow, so I brushed it off and put it away. Dried it well over night and haven't had any issues.

I took it out again for a back country adventure and rather than trying the backpack routine again, I tried hand take-off.

Holding the vertical part of the leg in my right hand (camera facing away from me and propellers well away from me)), I used my outstretched right  thumb to bring the sticks down and in to bring the motors to a start.

Then i outstretched my arm, slowly pushed up on the left lever and once I felt the drone lifting up, simply let go.

Simple enough that I will be doing this from now on in this scenario (snow, mud, uneven ground etc).

Just be careful.
2016-3-3
Use props
Not A Speck Of
lvl.4
Flight distance : 666493 ft
United States

alpinekiwi Posted at 2016-3-3 03:08
While I always hand catch, I would normally take off from a stable base.

However, the other day  ...

So it's possible to actually take off by hand as well. Interesting.

Thanks to you (and others) for the responses.
Chris
2016-3-3
Use props
knupla2
lvl.3
Flight distance : 922 ft
United States

I catch most of the time.  Go here and watch the video.  Start at 5:41.  You can see the wind blustering.  I was letting my buddy get some air time.  Told him he needed to land.  Quick wind shift just as he touched down and over it went.

Two broken and one chipped prop.  Replaced them and flew more that day.

I normally bring it down to a few feet, let it hover and carefully catch it on the landing gear.
2016-3-3
Use props
cbrenkus
lvl.3
Flight distance : 7 ft
United States

mikeon Posted at 2016-3-2 11:06
I hand catch so that the prop wash doesn't kick up dirt and moisture onto the camera lens as it near ...

I do the same thing for the same reasons.
2016-3-3
Use props
nigelw
Second Officer
Flight distance : 518084 ft
United Kingdom

I hand caught my P3 today for the first time because I was on snow & it was dancing in the wind a bit.  Now I'm converted.
2016-3-6
Use props
mcphipps900
lvl.3

Thats what happened to me too. Tried it once, now I do it all the time.
2016-3-6
Use props
LordNeo
lvl.3
Flight distance : 548212 ft
Chile

If the ground is flat and clear enough to land, it's probably hard too (concrete or alike), enough to damage the camera lens or gimbal if i don't land smoothly enough.
If the ground is not flat i have to hand catch anyway.
If the ground is flat, but it's full of particles (dirt, grass, sand, etc) i better do hand catch to avoid dirt in the gimbal motors or something hitting the camera lens.

So, I don't really see the benefit of landing...
2016-3-6
Use props
ChaneRZ
lvl.3
Flight distance : 171043 ft
United States

Yup it depends on the surface.
2016-3-6
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules