Putting Phantom 3 back together
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

Hi

Two months ago, I sent the drone back to DJI for a compass error (http://forum.dji.com/thread-39966-1-1.html). It finally got back today.

They sent me a complete new one which is great, but in a kit. The camera+gimbal in a separate box, plastic connectors in another, drone (no front stickers which I least means I can probably open it and not lose warranty).

No instruction manual of any kind. Surely, they can't just expect their customer to know on how to put it all back together !!

The gimbal comes with 6 screws and 3 plastic cover.

I can make sense on where two of the plastic cover would go. Two antennas connector, is where they connect important?

Anyone can provide a link on how to put back the camera and gimbal back on a phantom 3?

Thanks
JY
Less than pleased by DJI customer service so far...

2016-3-6
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

Here is the link that DJI provides on how to desassemble the gimbal:

"This video is unavailable. "

great
2016-3-6
Use props
flormo2002
Second Officer
Flight distance : 12425794 ft
  • >>>

Your being serious about this and not kidding? I've never heard of a company doing something like this where they expect you to assemble your Drone. I would call the BBB if it would make a difference?
2016-3-6
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

I wish I was kidding.

Looking at close up photos, I think I connected it back properly together.. Still no clue what the screws are for.

I can't appear to control the camera aymore. The left button on the remote normally controlling the elevation of the camera does nothing. Can't turn it left or right either... DJI support is hopeless, keep sending me links and videos for the Advanced/Pro (which doesn't have the same connection between the aircraft and the gimbal and use a different remote control)

I'm beyond frustrated now.. Having waited for so long to get this

Edit: firmware of the aircraft is 1.0.20, seems to be super old as current is 1.3.5
2016-3-6
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

IIRC, when I first got the P3, the white plastic serving as dampeners, only two were fully connected to the plates. Anyone know if this matter, and which one should be fully attached?
2016-3-6
Use props
djiphantom3xx
lvl.2

Canada

Yes - only hook up TWO of the little white thingies. (I had to replace my own camera/gimbal as well - but I actually ordered a camera separately when I had accidentally smashed it).

Doesn't really matter where - as long as they are diagonal from each other. If you have all four of them attached, the camera will be 'stiff' (I did that too).
2016-3-6
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

Hi, could you please provide your ticket number? I will help you check this. Please provide a picture of the devices you received.
2016-3-6
Use props
jyavenard
lvl.2

Australia

Ok.. Put it all back together, was worried for a while that I didn't plug the antenna cables to the right connectors but a photo sent by DJI support confirmed that it was all good.
Had to break the two plastic hooks. I just couldn't take them off (I followed some videos but couldn't get it to come off).
Making the remaining plastic bit to come off entirely was a problem as the aircraft plastic body covers half the aluminium plate's hole (unlike the Advanced/Pro where there's good clearance). So had to pry the aluminium plate to finally take them off (which i could replace rather cheaply should things come to worse)

Upgraded the firmware, did a short fly ... all working now as it used now.
As a bonus, it now hovers steadily. The previous units, no matter how many calibrations I did would always drift rather quickly to its right made it an absolute pain to fly.

In the end, they did gave me an address on where I could take it and get it put back together. But that was several minutes after I had stopped checking the online chat as it had been useless up to now.

Not happy DJI anyway... Such a long time to repair it and to get a kit back, non assembled unit is just poor customer service.

DJI online support kept sending me link to videos or docs that didn't apply to the Standard model.

DJI Amy, my ticket number was (hidden as it shows where I live)
I received a spare part kit no 78 box (http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-aircraft-5-8g-sta)
and a spare part kit no 73 box (http://store.dji.com/product/phantom-3-camera-sta)
2016-3-6
Use props
RedHotPoker
Captain
Flight distance : 165105 ft
Canada

Sadly you had to jump through flaming hoops, but atleast now the singed hair has grown back, and you sound like you might almost be ready to smile again.
Happy to know your drone can manage to fly right, and hover on the spot as it should have all along. Mine does, I assumed they all would.

Wishing you only Continued good luck... ;-)

RedHotPoker

2016-3-6
Use props
DJI-Amy
DJI team

Hong Kong

jyavenard Posted at 2016-3-7 12:37
Ok.. Put it all back together, was worried for a while that I didn't plug the antenna cables to the  ...

I am really sorry for the service, that should not happen since we should send a fully tested aircraft to the customer after the repair, please provide your ticket number, so I will let the corresponding officer contact you.
2016-3-15
Use props
mal6514
lvl.2

United States

That's some bs. Everyone knows Dji support is lacking but to have a customer do the repairs and Dji just ships the parts ??? Call the bbb on their asses .billion dollars company ran like a small time back of house venture
2016-3-15
Use props
Username Here
lvl.3
United States

Wow! I hope it was just a bit of miscommunication on DJI's part and not not intentional.
2016-3-15
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules