Loss of Signal
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
CastleFlyer
New
Flight distance : 6804 ft
Canada

Hi,
I read a few threads on this topic and I am still unclear how to resolve the issue of lost signal. I really don't want to invest any more cash at this point, I thought I was getting a total solution out of the box.
I have a new Phantom 3 standard with latest firmware and I have 10 flights up to 1000ft in height but I loose signal often after just 300 feet and I need to repostion the controller to regain control. (I watched the tutorials on antenna positions). I am spending lots of time trying to reconnect and it is a real time waster. I want to get to maximum elevation 1600 feet +/- and roam about the farm to survey my property.

I can see the video stream which means the low band is active it just seems that the high band is dropping out. I am in a rural area with no houses within several miles and I am always flying in the line of sight. All else seems OK and I am really impressed with the performance but this loss of signal is a real nagging issue.

Should I try the firmware chip upgrade strategy by downloading the BIN file and putting it on the SIM card with the quad or is there someone obvious I missed.

Thanks in advance.

CastleFlyer

2016-8-29
Use props
AG0N-Gary
First Officer
Flight distance : 700846 ft
United States

Just to be clear, you are saying you are losing signal at 1000 feet altitude until you reposition antenna (that's normal if the drone is directly overhead).  You don't say how far you are horizontally.  If you are directly overhead, remember that the radiation pattern from the drone is the same as that of the controller.  Maximum signal is to the side of the antennas (located in the legs), and least signal is straight down.  Not only does the controller antenna need to look at the drone antenna, but the drone antenna needs to look at the controller antenna for maximum range.  You do that by getting it further away from you.  Have you tried that?   Or do I not understand what I have read?
2016-8-29
Use props
Zéphir
lvl.1
Flight distance : 778150 ft
France

Hey!
Well first of all, the drone isn't designed to go further high than about 400 feet but whatever...
Anyway, have you tried to build this antenna booster http://forum.dji.com/thread-23565-1-1.html ? It works really well and extends the range for about 300 feet and you can make at home with a pair of scissors, some paper, cardboard and aluminium in under 10 minutes!
I hope I helped you.
2016-8-29
Use props
DJI Mindy
Administrator
Flight distance : 7 ft
  • >>>

Hello CastleFlyer, you can try in a different area free of interference to see if you get the same distance.
2016-8-29
Use props
SMALLFM
New

New Zealand

Hi There Guys, I have a new Phantom 3 standard with latest firmware and I have problem as CastleFlyer.. 300ft or 30m away or less and i have lost signal with the controller.

Is this caused by the new update? if so can you bring back the old firmware
2016-8-29
Use props
cdikland
lvl.3
Flight distance : 229911 ft
Canada

I have the same problem as CastleFlyer and SMALLFM.  A new Phantom 3 standard (2 weeks old) with latest firmware flying at an altitude of 50-60 meters and almost like clockwork at around 400-500 meters I get the "Lost Signal" error. I always manage to regain control but once the error occurs I turn around and bring the drone back towards me.

I do have a video i took of the location and it shows I am flying in a relative flat area with nothing in between me and the drone except air. There are trees but I avoid then at all costs and in all cases made sure that no tree (or anything else for that matter) comes between the controller and the drone.
2016-9-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules