3164 35 2016-10-26
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
nudann
lvl.2
Flight distance : 361188 ft
United States

Hey,

looks like the consumer version of the Mavic comes with a black covered dome so you won't be able to use it during flight as a protective cover as you could do with a clear dome.

Why did DJI do this?

Even if the image quality would get worse, it still would be a great safety cover for the gimbal during flight when no perfect image quality is be needed.

BTW, I think it's very curious that some domes and gimbal clamps are lose in the box. I don't think they can easily be shaken off. And if so, that sucks. Because this can definitely damage the gimbal during shipping and transportation.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

The black dome comes off.  It covers the clear dome.  You can remove it and leave the clear dome in place.

However... Shooting through the clear dome will significantly degrade the image.  It will get internal reflections and flare.  It will also blur the image.
2016-10-26
Use props
nudann
lvl.2
United States

Also just noticed that. I am happy to see that this black cover can be put off.

Thank you!
2016-10-26
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Flight distance : 80991 ft
Belgium

It is to protect it from scratches, because you can fly with it on.
2016-10-26
Use props
aaronspence
lvl.2

United Kingdom

I imagine the clear dome is for FPV goggle users where image quality isn't so important.
2016-10-26
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

I'm also wondering why so many of the unboxings I've seen had both pieces loose in the box. I'm not so confident anymore that I'll be able to just throw it my backpack and not have to worry.
2016-10-26
Use props
tV1fr835Dcq3
lvl.2

United States

Of course a solution shouldn't be too difficult.
2016-10-26
Use props
johnlega
lvl.3
  • >>>
United States

Actually it's a neutral density filter - may be the only way to use one....

2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

tV1fr835Dcq3 Posted at 2016-10-26 12:08
I'm also wondering why so many of the unboxings I've seen had both pieces loose in the box. I'm not  ...

Link...?  I haven't seen any unboxing videos with either part loose.
2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

johnlega@gmail. Posted at 2016-10-26 12:09
Actually it's a neutral density filter - may be the only way to use one....

They press on for the Mavic...
2016-10-26
Use props
Revs
lvl.3
Flight distance : 73514 ft
United Kingdom

There has been a couple posted in this forum...

http://forum.dji.com/thread-67766-1-1.html

http://forum.dji.com/thread-67760-1-2.html
2016-10-26
Use props
Petroboy
lvl.4
Flight distance : 3681 ft
Canada

Revs Posted at 2016-10-26 13:17

Bad choices.  Both of those videos show the Mavics being pulled from the boxes with the gimble covers in place.
2016-10-26
Use props
MuchMitchies
lvl.2

Schwavic Posted at 2016-10-27 03:15
They press on for the Mavic...

"Pre-order Item: The DJI Mavic Filter 3-Pack is a pre-order item. Filters will be shipped out in the order they are received starting at the end of November. Your payment method will be charged now to hold your place in line, and you can cancel or modify your pre-order at any time."

haha not sure if mocking DJI or actually true.
2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Revs Posted at 2016-10-26 12:17

What...?  They aren't loose or off in those videos.
2016-10-26
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Schwavic Posted at 2016-10-26 21:43
What...?  They aren't loose or off in those videos.

Gimbal guard not put on correctly and cover not fixed on the mavic. Enjoy!

And then he turns it on with the guard on it HAHA. unfolded... man... Seriously, some people...
2016-10-26
Use props
asaerong
lvl.3
Flight distance : 562769 ft
Poland

You know what, the black cover at the dome can serve as the temporary answer for our fellow Mavic pilot friends in Sweden. Put it on = no working cam = no surveillance
2016-10-26
Use props
Schwavic
lvl.3

United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-26 12:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJu1is6ZII

Gimbal guard not put on correctly and cover not fixed  ...

Okay, so there's one...  But it was said there were a bunch.
2016-10-26
Use props
stealle
lvl.3
Flight distance : 21827 ft
United States

Dirty Bird Posted at 2016-10-26 13:59
The black shield is to be used during your training.  It compels you to reach out with your inner fe ...

http://i.stack.imgur.com/2CHCD.gif

edit: kind ruins it that you have to click the link. lol. can someone tell me how to post a gif?
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
Flight distance : 1515312 ft
  • >>>
United States

stealle Posted at 2016-10-27 04:29
edit: kind ruins it that you have to click the link. lol. can someone tell me how to post a gif? ...

I don't know if you can.
2016-10-26
Use props
phatee
lvl.4
Flight distance : 36165 ft
United States

hey ken, is it true the sticks are no longer removable?
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

asaerong Posted at 2016-10-27 04:14
You know what, the black cover at the dome can serve as the temporary answer for our fellow Mavic pi ...

I wonder if that would pass.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

phatee Posted at 2016-10-27 05:23
hey ken, is it true the sticks are no longer removable?

That is correct.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

So...  The Dome fell off in transit.  And if you look at the video at 2:00 it appears the gimbal is cocked up 30 degrees and dislodged from the gimbal lock.

Would not surprise me if this Gimbal is damaged.

DJI needs to look at these unboxing videos and work on improving the packaging.  This is the second Mavic we have seen on video where the owner reports that the gimbal arrived without the gimbal lock in place.  (And possibly damaged.)
2016-10-26
Use props
hwkidd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

it is removable,  packing for shipping,   the gimbal lock is behind the bubble,  and needs to be removed before flight,   for a beginner like me,  it might be wise to fly with the bubble on for a while,  so if you hit a branch or something you protect the gimbal,  once you get the handling down, then its time to take it off for the best pictures,  If you watch the promos, you will see it flown either way,  even saw one with the black dome on,  That would look real mean if you put eye's  and a mouth on it,,lol,  hope that helps,
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-27 05:45
So...  The Dome fell off in transit.  And if you look at the video at 2:00 it appears the gimbal is  ...

The gimbal lock is installed, he even forgot to remove it before powering on the aircraft then powers down and removes the lock.
2016-10-26
Use props
DJI-Ken
DJI team
  • >>>
United States

hwkidd@aol.com Posted at 2016-10-27 05:51
it is removable,  packing for shipping,   the gimbal lock is behind the bubble,  and needs to be rem ...

Thanks for posting and helping out
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

hwkidd@aol.com Posted at 2016-10-26 14:51
it is removable,  packing for shipping,   the gimbal lock is behind the bubble,  and needs to be rem ...

The protection bubble was dislodged in tranist.  In the video where he first lifts the Mavic out of the box (2:00) you can clearly see the camera is wrenched out of the gimbal lock and cocked upward at a 20-30 degree angle.  The gimbal is NOT seated into the gimbal lock piece.  It was clearly dislodged in transit.
Not trying to make trouble...  But I DO recommend DJI take a close look at this video as evidense of what condition Mavic's are arriving at the end customer.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

DJI-Ken Posted at 2016-10-26 14:58
The gimbal lock is installed, he even forgot to remove it before powering on the aircraft then pow ...

It's installed but if you look closely the camera appears to be dislodged and tilted upward at 20-30 degrees.  I believe the gimbal has actually pulled out of the gimbal lock.  That's the point I am making.  The gimbal lock is not holding the camera in place in this video.  Look closely at the video full screen.  You will see what I mean.
I think the elastic mounting of the gimbal is allowign it to be dislodged from the gimbal holder in transit.  (I could be wrong... but this video seems to show that I am right.)

And the other thread at: http://forum.dji.com/thread-67736-1-1.html   Seem s to suggest that gimbals can be damaged in shipment.
2016-10-26
Use props
crackedcore
lvl.3
Flight distance : 31539 ft
  • >>>
New Zealand

tV1fr835Dcq3 Posted at 2016-10-27 03:08
I'm also wondering why so many of the unboxings I've seen had both pieces loose in the box. I'm not  ...

I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that in almost every unboxing I've seen, The owner shakes the hell out of the Shipping box to try and remove the Mavic box.. I know that the delivery process isn't exactly gentle but come on! I'm not surprised that things are being dislodged in the box with this kind of treatment.
Not only does that guy in the video forget to remove the gimbal lock.
He turns it on before even unfolding the arms.. WTF!?

2016-10-26
Use props
hwkidd
lvl.3
Flight distance : 22877 ft
United States

crackedcore@gma Posted at 2016-10-26 15:05
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that in almost every unboxing I've seen, The own ...

I saw that also,  that's why I took mine out very slow,  and open both ends of the box, and pushed it out,  and believe me,  it was really in there,   I  did not post pictures, but both corners were bent in a little on the master case, and on the Mav box itself,  so there is some concern on the handling of the item for shipping,  no where does it reflect fragile, but  if that was there they might really handle with care, not,   hope you get yours soon,  and  Never grow up,  buy a drone and be a kid,
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

crackedcore@gma Posted at 2016-10-26 15:05
I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that in almost every unboxing I've seen, The own ...

Not saying the OP is perfect...  But I AM saying that when he first lifts the Mavic out of the box the camera appears to be completely dislodged from the gimbal lock.

P.S. I guarantee the guys at DHL/FedEx and UPS throw it around a lot harder!  The packaging needs to be designed to handle it.  Otherwise DJI will get 100% RMA's and go bankrupt.

Dislodged Camera

Dislodged Camera
2016-10-26
Use props
nudann
lvl.2
United States

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-27 06:10
Not saying the OP is perfect...  But I AM saying that when he first lifts the Mavic out of the box ...

Totally agree with you! The gimbal definitely needs to be fixed by the gimbal clamp the whole time during delivery, which is not the case in some Mavic shipments.
2016-10-26
Use props
Tahoe Ed
lvl.3
Flight distance : 41668330 ft
  • >>>
United States

Nees Posted at 2016-10-27 03:46
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HYJu1is6ZII

Gimbal guard not put on correctly and cover not fixed  ...

There are so many things wrong in that video.  I hope I can help those so that they will not make the same mistakes.  When you remove the Mavic from the box, remove the battery and charge it fully.  You can attached the RC to the charger at the same time.  Both should be completely charged before you attempt to fly.  

While you are waiting take some time to read the manual.  Then familiarize your self with the App.  Make sure that you are on the most recent one.  With the props off, start up the RC, connect and start the App.  Make sure that you have internet access.  Extended the arms and removed the gimbal clamp, the plastic dome and all labels and shipping/manufacturing.  Some unit come with a protective plastic cover over the lens.  If your came that way please remove it as well.  Power the craft and it should connect to the RC.  If you receive a notification that there is an upgrade, please keep everything on and allow the upgrade to download, then when prompted start the upgrade.  Leave everything on.  You will get a notification when the upgrade is completed.  When you get that turn the Mavic off, then the RC and the App.  Turn the RC back on, then the App and then the Mavic.  Take some time on the first battery to get used to the functions of the App.  Go through all the screens.  There is a section of the manual that explains most of the functions.  Some are explained in the App.  That is why I recommend that you go through all of the menus.  Unless you are an experienced pilot I would recommend that you put the Mavic in beginner mode.  That will help you when you start flying.

Recharge the batteries including the RC and your phone.  When everything is ready to go, find a wide open field without interference.  Place the Mavic on a level surface that will not interfere with the gimbal on start up.  Power the RC, App and then Mavic.  Once it says it is ready to fly with GPS you can take off.  You should know how to arm the motors and then advance the throttle to take off to a stable hover at about 3 feet/1 m.  Have some fun but keep the craft nose out and in front of you until you learn orientation.  In case of loss of orientation take your hands off the sticks and the craft will stabilize.  you can then figure out where you are.  There are many videos on how to fly.  Look at them.  Above all have fun.  Fun is not crashing.  Fly safely.
2016-10-26
Use props
Fulgerite
lvl.4

United States

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-26 15:40
There are so many things wrong in that video.  I hope I can help those so that they will not make  ...

Tahoe Ed...  I am completely baffled by your post.  It is completely avoiding the issue I raised... and a blatant attempt to deflect the issue I am pointing out in an attempt to HELP DJI and customers.

I love the Mavic.  (I am patently waiting for my Mavic to be shipped while the DJI store has charged my credit card 24 days ago.)  But I see a REAL potential problem here and I am just trying to help everyone.  (Including DJI.)

The appropriate response would be...  The OP made several mistakes.  "We are looking at the gimbal lock issue. Thanks for pointing it out to us.".

Instead you are trying to deflect the issue.  It's a real issue.  It's a Physics issue.  It will not "go away" because you try to deflect the question.  

I expect better from DJI representatives.

2016-10-26
Use props
Nees
lvl.4
Belgium

Tahoe Ed Posted at 2016-10-27 00:40
There are so many things wrong in that video.  I hope I can help those so that they will not make  ...

I know there are many things wrong, he does idd stupid things. I'm not talking about those, but that the packaging was done badly  The gimbal clamp was not fixed correctly and could have damaged the gimbal during transport. And the dome was not fixed on the mavic. The one that has his gimbal broken, also said his was not secured correctly with the clamp. So with all the throwing of boxes... It gets some serious hits.

Please do not ignore those facts. All the rest you say is correct and user error, but the clamp not fixed is DJI's error.

2016-10-27
Use props
ecarpo
lvl.3

China

Fulgerite Posted at 2016-10-27 07:03
Tahoe Ed...  I am completely baffled by your post.  It is completely avoiding the issue I raised... ...

Are you not used to this buy now?

All they can say is the same stuff over and over again. Don't know how many times I have read "You really will be amazed by it when its in your hands". Any difficult question just gets completely blanked and only the real basics are responded to and most of that is just friendly chat between friends.

DJI really should be employing people with customer service skills in these forums, most of the help available is just stuff that most of the community can help each other with.
2016-10-27
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules