Osmo+ Tap to focus or Auto Focus?
2379 6 2016-11-15
Uploading and Loding Picture ...(0/1)
o(^-^)o
breezeway95
lvl.3
Flight distance : 826854 ft
Canada

I'm getting conflicting instructions from Osmo+ users and/or DJI support staff.  

I've been told that the Osmo+ will auto focus on any objects in center screen and I have been told that one needs to tap to focus to ensure quality results.

The excerpt below is from a recently updated Wired article that was comparing the Karma and Mavic. Originally the Karma was recommended due to poor images from the Mavic camera. Today, they changed their recommendation to the Mavic.

"DJI didn’t tell us about the feature. The word “focus” does not appear at all in the Quick Start guide, and the only mention of it is in passing on page 42 of the full User Manual, and even then it isn’t explained. Nor was there any pop-up explainer on the remote control. Considering tapping to focus is absolutely mandatory to get a good shot, you’d think that would be the first thing DJI would tell you absolutely must do."

I know this was a drone review however it just shows how confused users are about the proper method for focusing.

So....

DJI?  Does the Osmo+ operator always need to tap to focus or will the Osmo+ autofocus on whatever subject is in center frame (and tap to focus is optional for objects in other parts of the frame)?

2016-11-15
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

You can tap to focus, and you can also turn on/off the auto focus option, it says "real time focus"
2016-11-16
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-16 04:19
You can tap to focus, and you can also turn on/off the auto focus option, it says "real time focus"

Where in the iPhone version of the DJI Go app is the option that says "real time focus"? I don't see it anywhere. Please include a screen capture with your reply.
2016-11-16
Use props
DJI-Thor
Administrator
Flight distance : 13602 ft

breezeway95 Posted at 2016-11-16 11:02
Where in the iPhone version of the DJI Go app is the option that says "real time focus"? I don't s ...

in iOS version it's a bit different, it says "focus when gimbal stops" that you can toggle
2016-11-16
Use props
Dalby
lvl.2
Flight distance : 54888 ft
Denmark

Check this thread - DJI/ DJI Thor is not too consistent when giving advice on this subject :-/

http://forum.dji.com/thread-67797-1-1.html
2016-11-16
Use props
breezeway95
lvl.3
Canada

DJI-Thor Posted at 2016-11-16 21:50
in iOS version it's a bit different, it says "focus when gimbal stops" that you can toggle

DJI-Thor

From your response in this thread I understood you to say that when using the option of "Focus When Gimbal Stops" would work while recording.

Yet in another thread you responded:

Darq Posted at 2016-11-19 05:43
The problem, is that when you aren't recording, it focus when the gimbal stops, but when you start r ...

Currently, no.

The OP original question was cut off, however he said the focus when gimbal stops option did not work while Osmo+ was recording and you confirmed that this was the case.

So to clarify.  Does the Osmo+ "focus when gimbal stops" function work while recording?
2016-11-21
Use props
wysiwyg
lvl.1

Malaysia

I can confirm that WHEN RECORDING, the camera does NOT autofocus when the gimbal stops. When you are NOT RECORDING, the camera DOES autofocus when the gimbal stops.

The so-called "autofocus" or "real time focus" is, to put it simply, quite useless. And yes, I have the firmware v1.3.0.50 update.

DJI, you need to fix this asap. It is a major issue when shooting video as you have to keep focusing and refocusing as you follow actions/people.
2016-11-22
Use props
Advanced
You need to log in before you can reply Login | Register now

Credit Rules